DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Is there a usb cable that splits data and power?

borgqueenx

Reactions
Would be perfect to have for the mavic remote with a battery pack!
You could give your phone 2a power through the battery pack, and get the data from the other usb port.

You can plug a battery bank into the micro USB port, and run data from the USB port to your display. So yes what you are saying would be cool, is!! And it’s as simple as plugging a battery bank of your choice into the micro USB port. Use the USB out to your display device.

I have tried 3 different cables, and unfortunately they do not do the job.
One thing i have not tried yet, is to have power come from a power bank/2a port, and data from the mavic port. But a cable like that cannot be ordered online, i cant find any. So you'd have to make it yourself, and im not really keen about that.

I have tried 3 different cables, and unfortunately they do not do the job.
One thing i have not tried yet, is to have power come from a power bank/2a port, and data from the mavic port. But a cable like that cannot be ordered online, i cant find any. So you'd have to make it yourself, and im not really keen about that.
I was considering this yesterday. When I get home this evening I will make a power only cable to see if it is possible. If my memory serves me, I have been able to use a power bank plugged into the side port, while using the USB port to plug into my iOS display device. If anyone else doesn’t solve the question, I’ll have a definitive answer for you tonight.

The only problem with powering the RC and letting (forced to) let the RC power the display is that only a max of 500ma is supplied to the display, and possibly less drawn by the RC from the power-pack.

I was considering this yesterday. When I get home this evening I will make a power only cable to see if it is possible. If my memory serves me, I have been able to use a power bank plugged into the side port, while using the USB port to plug into my iOS display device. If anyone else doesn’t solve the question, I’ll have a definitive answer for you tonight.
a power cable only is easy. what i need is a cable that seperates into a data cable and into a power cable. Not combined.

a power cable only is easy. what i need is a cable that seperates into a data cable and into a power cable. Not combined.

Would a USB splitter like this (see link) work if you removed the power contacts from the data/power connector end?

This link has images identifying the wiring.

Would a USB splitter like this (see link) work if you removed the power contacts from the data/power connector end?

This link has images identifying the wiring.
I believe that the data line requires voltage, the usb connector has to have a ground to the system

I believe that the data line requires voltage, the usb connector has to have a ground to the system

A little more Googling produced this :
Apparently if only the +5V (red wire) is cut, or the contact removed, it should work. The ground must be left intact.

This is only info I've found online and I've no actual experience so YMMV.

Reactions: Texas Mavic
Im Using a Magnetic USB Mount
The Normal PC size USB side is FIXED-
The Micro side is fitted with a tiny adapter for the Phone (which remains in the phone) and a Magnet from the Cable side-
These fit together in a Click

Lets assume the Magnet has a Top SIde (marked red) and a Bottom side

OKAY so Iv Observed that the Magnet Can EITHER click onto the tiny adapter BOTH Ways. The Red side(say) being Data+Power - and the BACK side with Power and NO DATA-

Most Magnetised connectors work Similarly

Is that Usefull?

i also already tried using the Y splitter cables that only give data on one port, but can connect both for power.
Even when connecting one side and not using the data port at all, charging speed is limited to around 500ma or maybe 700ma.

I only think 2a could be achieved if you can directly feed 2a power to the phone from a 2a port, and seperate the data connection. So a splitting cable that has one end, ONLY for data, and one end, ONLY for power. I do not know if this technically can exist as some here have noted that the data connection perhaps requires some power. That's something we'l have to see, i guess.

The last cable i tried also doesn't work. It can provide 2a over the power cable, but it wont work together with the mavic data cable, it charges very slow then.

Would be perfect to have for the mavic remote with a battery pack!
You could give your phone 2a power through the battery pack, and get the data from the other usb port.
Piece of cake.
Mavic Pro:
Side port to 1A battery pack
Tablet or phone of your choice to a USB otg splitter. One end to the bottom usb port on the MC for data and the other to the 2A, ( or 1A), of the power bank.
note thicker cabling is better. I have had best success with USB 3 OTG's.

Mavic Mini
See this thread: Mini cable? post 24

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rmgde