DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mini cable?

for DJI Mavic Pro Drone Micro USB Line IOS Type-c OTG Data Cable 10cm 30cm Phone Table for DJI Spark Mavic 2 Pro Zoom Mavic Air
Specs on that are all over the place. 10cn micro, then 30cm micro, then mentions C.
With Mavics besides MM, you usually used the full sized A port on the bottom.
For MM you need micro OTG to whatever your device uses. That's why I chose the micro to A OTG adapter. I can use any cable I have which for my HTC and Tab will be C, but for my iPad, Lightning.

I am using an OTG USB 3 Y to charge both the Mavic Mini and my phone at the same time. I am using the same cabling to charge the phone at the same time as flying the MIni. There also may be a trickle charge from the phone to the MC. I have asked DJI whether the MC is limited by software, firmware or hardware from simultaneously receiving Data and charging. Pictures are attached.

I have a Akozon USB Multimeter USB Load RuiDeng AT34 shown in both configurations. Note the charging dots on the MC and the phone status.

Attachments

• 01.jpg
    01.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 44
  • 02.jpg
    02.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 38
  • 03.jpg
    03.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 35
Yes. I used an OTG cable like you have in the picture to connect to the MM controller (micro USB) and you plug your regular tablet charging cable into your iPad or android tablet and plug the regular USB plug from that wire into the female end of your OTG cable. It works perfect.

There are two modes a USB connection can be in: A or B. A mode gives power and commands, In IT terms its considered the host. A PC is almost always the A.
USB in B mode absorbs power and gets commanded by the A. In IT terms this is the target. Keyboards, mice, printers are in B mode. Phones are usually in B mode to be charged and to get data off them from a PC but can be set to A mode with an OTG adapter/cable so they can act like a PC.

In order for the RC to be able to properly talk to the phone, the RC port has to be in A mode. That's why you need the OTG cable/adapter which grounds pin 4 (sense/ID). It's improper to force power into an A mode USB connection, its supposed to be giving power. It's like connecting a battery to a battery. Since the phone is in B mode, you could have it get power from an external source rather than the RC. To top it off, there is electronics between the RC battery and the USB port power leads. The port is limited to delivering only 500mA (USB standard) which is why your Android shows "slow charge". So if you manage to backflow power into the Micro port while it is in A mode, you might blow something, possibly to the point of it no longer being able to charge the RC.

There are two modes a USB connection can be in: A or B. ....

I appreciate your observations. I would point out that the Mini RC port while outwardly an A is also the only port for also charging the RC. Everyone's phone can charge while simultaneously being charged by a computer.

At present I am successfully connecting from my phone to the RC and charging the phone. The phone gobbles energy outside because it is at maximum screen brightness.

I don't think connecting a battery to a battery analogy is really relevant.

In picture 2 you can see that while the phone is talking to the MC the MC is also receiving 179 mA. This may be a slow charge but it is better than no charge. My suspicion is that stock connection results in the MC slowly draining your phone.

We can agree that the MC running out of power ends your flying for that day,

Will "something" blow. I will update this post if that ever happens.

On a tangent; I have been charging both my tablet and Mavic Pro MC while flying. I use the MC side port for charging to the battery's 1A port and the tablet to the 2A port. The tablet is connected to the battery & bottom MC prt via an OTG Y.

Are you sure it's not 179mA going from the RC to the phone? I see numbers but that's it.
However it's still the purpose of A mode to provide power. A micro can be A mode or B mode, depending on how pin 4 is connected. It can't be both. That's why you use a regular cable to charge the RC and connect to a PC for firmware updates, but an OTG cable to connect to a phone, which has a necessary side effect of slow charging the phone with up to 500mA. Necessary as that's the USB standard for an A device and someone already tried cutting the power lead. Phone ignored the USB.

You could indeed be backfeeding the RC, but you're swimming upstream since the RC is also trying to push power out.

Have anyone tried to charge the minis rc with the dji cable (usb-c to micro)?
The micro port on the rc is hardware weak and I'm worrying that it will break if I'm switching cables all the time.
So if I'm just disconnecting the usb-c end from my phone and connect it to a usb-c charging station instead, will it charge my rc or break it?
I already have broken the port in the rc once by pushing the cable in to hard.
But the dji store took it as warranty.

See post #24. (5 up) Hot glue the right angle mini plug to the MC - no more worries. Data to/from phone/tablet when turned on and charging when turned off.

You may find that the usb-c end and your idea is for charging the other way around.

Have anyone tried to charge the minis rc with the dji cable (usb-c to micro)?
The micro port on the rc is hardware weak and I'm worrying that it will break if I'm switching cables all the time.
So if I'm just disconnecting the usb-c end from my phone and connect it to a usb-c charging station instead, will it charge my rc or break it?
I already have broken the port in the rc once by pushing the cable in to hard.
But the dji store took it as warranty.

Reactions: Khayman
See post #24. (5 up) Hot glue the right angle mini plug to the MC - no more worries. Data to/from phone/tablet when turned on and charging when turned off.

You may find that the usb-c end and your idea is for charging the other way around.
Thanks and sorry if I'm a bit slow here (I'm from Sweden).
But does that mean that it's a risk to try and connect a external battery to the usb-c end to charge the rc? I really don't want to buy a new rc just because I wanted to try this ?
Or do you mean it's safe to try?
The other guy is using a special cable to be able to connect a ordinary USB to it.

Thanks and sorry if I'm a bit slow here (I'm from Sweden).
But does that mean that it's a risk to try and connect a external battery to the usb-c end to charge the rc? I really don't want to buy a new rc just because I wanted to try this ?
Or do you mean it's safe to try?
The other guy is using a special cable to be able to connect a ordinary USB to it.
All of my power banks output through USB A (large) and input, (charge) through micro, micro c. You may find that you cannot charge via the USB C on the charger side.

Charging is demand driven.

All of my power banks output through USB A (large) and input, (charge) through micro, micro c. You may find that you cannot charge via the USB C on the charger side.

Charging is demand driven.
That shouldn't be a problem, I have two batteries that have usb-c out.
I'll try it out.

The problem is that the short DJI supplied cables are OTG cables. That turns the port to A mode which expects to send power out of the RC, not to expect power going in. That's why I believe the one guy using the Y cable to charge his RC while at the same time use the same and only port on the RC to his phone is a bad idea.

Put it this way: would you connect a power bank to the A port of your laptop to charge the laptop while the laptop is on? Thats what you're effectively doing when you use an OTG cable on the RC and try to charge through it.

Reactions: Khayman
The problem is that the short DJI supplied cables are OTG cables. That turns the port to A mode which expects to send power out of the RC, not to expect power going in. That's why I believe the one guy using the Y cable to charge his RC while at the same time use the same and only port on the RC to his phone is a bad idea.

Put it this way: would you connect a power bank to the A port of your laptop to charge the laptop while the laptop is on? Thats what you're effectively doing when you use an OTG cable on the RC and try to charge through it.
Thanks for your thoughts..
Yes that sounds reasonable.
I'll try and email dji and ask them.

The only way for supplying external power to the phone would be by creating a special Y cable, where the plus wire out of the remote would be cut and replaced by the plus wire of a power bank, while the minus wires of remote and power bank would be tied together.

The only way for supplying external power to the phone would be by creating a special Y cable, where the plus wire out of the remote would be cut and replaced by the plus wire of a power bank, while the minus wires of remote and power bank would be tied together.
Okey thanks for the answer and for saving my rc from burning ??
I won't try and connect it that way.

I guess I did connect it anyway...
Adhd and impulse control doesn't go hand in hand ?

Hi what cable you use for iPad pro 11, i had mavic mini
One to consider is here.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
InspectorTom