DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Is this a dumb idea?

Sounds risky, but go for it. I'd stay away from the pool noodle floaters, they'll probably do more harm than good.
how so?
I realize how cheesy/cheap they look but the cost difference in them and the others just isn't worth it to me...they would only be used if the drone fails somehow.

how so?
I realize how cheesy/cheap they look but the cost difference in them and the others just isn't worth it to me...they would only be used if the drone fails somehow.
I just don't think they're all that effective and will still probably get your drone wet if it falls into the water. Not to mention they probably affect how it flies, add more surface area to catch wind on and potentially block the bottom sensors depending on which ones you get. Try it out if you'd like but my gut says not to trust those things.

I just don't think they're all that effective and will still probably get your drone wet if it falls into the water. Not to mention they probably affect how it flies, add more surface area to catch wind on and potentially block the bottom sensors depending on which ones you get. Try it out if you'd like but my gut says not to trust those things.
You may be right but keep in mind the flying part will be very slow and only need to go out about 20 feet or so from the shore (if it does go down I want to be able to retrieve it)

You may be right but keep in mind the flying part will be very slow and only need to go out about 20 feet or so from the shore (if it does go down I want to be able to retrieve it)
I mean it's your drone, go for it. Do you have a fishing rod? I'd try attaching the camera to some fishing line and just yeeting it out there, footage might look cool.

Definitely post some videos here once you figure this out.

I mean it's your drone, go for it. Do you have a fishing rod? I'd try attaching the camera to some fishing line and just yeeting it out there, footage might look cool.

Definitely post some videos here once you figure this out.
Well like I mentioned this morning it sinks like a rock.
I will definitely post the footage whenever I try it (even if it sucks) but the only lake around me is several hours drive (I live in a desert area) so it might be a while ?

Thanks for reminding me...I had some health issues after starting this thread and then just forgot about it.
If there was clear water within a couple hours drive I probably would have already tried it but now that you brought this to my attention again, I see no reason I shouldn't at least buy the materials and test it in my back yard.
If it manuvers as well as I anticipate, then it would be worth taking that 2 day trip.
Thanks again,
Randy

Do you have any close by neighbors with a pool? It would allow you to test your theory in a controlled setting, see how much it swings at different lengths below the drone, see how the resistance of the camera in the water affects the drone when trying to gain altitude after being submerged, etc. I think's a great idea as long as the proper precautions are taken. I look forward to seeing the footage!

Do you have any close by neighbors with a pool? It would allow you to test your theory in a controlled setting, see how much it swings at different lengths below the drone, see how the resistance of the camera in the water affects the drone when trying to gain altitude after being submerged, etc. I think's a great idea as long as the proper precautions are taken. I look forward to seeing the footage!
That's a great idea, it would give me the ultimate testing scenario!
Thanks very much, I'll go ahead and order the necessary stuff.

That's a great idea, it would give me the ultimate testing scenario!
Thanks very much, I'll go ahead and order the necessary stuff.

Get your own test pool. :D

Kiddie Pool

You can probably pick one up at a local store.

Coincidentally we recently threw one out to recycle after our grandkids visited this past summer...I think a neighbors pool will work better tho to get a better idea of how it would work in a lake.

Coincidentally we recently threw one out to recycle after our grandkids visited this past summer...I think a neighbors pool will work better tho to get a better idea of how it would work in a lake.

Be mindful of any minor splashes of pool water when testing.

The water will contain chemicals that could be a problem versus fresh water.

Good luck with your tests. 😊

oh crap you're right, I didn't think about chlorine etc...it being waterproof up to 30 feet tho I would think a minute or so would be okay.

Reactions: MA2 317
how so?
A little research will show how easy these can flip in a pool, thus the reason for the Stream Line Rescue Jacket we make.

A better idea would be to get the Rescue Jacket , hook up the Go Pro to the bottom of the Rescue jacket and navigate the waters without the fear of stress of flipping your Drone while recording as you go.

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly in the Rain.. Land on the Water. or Fly with our Cinematic Control Pods.

Dragged up from mid 2021, did you ever try anything Randy ??

Some FPV pilots are doing the drone waterproof thing and attaching action cams underneath to drag through water.
Obviously there would be lots of learning curve and editing for such a method, but they seem to work good for this and could work with your standard consumer drones.
I expect you would need a disposition where you accept the risk of losing a drone, taking to extra risks associated with this.

Reactions: GadgetGuy
WOW... That was simply incredible, just thinking up such an idea, let alone actually pulling it off! Just amazing footage.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Glenn-S