DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Is this crash damage to be worried about?

Haha...correct, that's my real intention posting the above..
NEVER buy 3rd party/unbranded item for crucial part like propeller.

Perhaps the wrong drone, but:

There was a guy in the Spark forum that complained endlessly that his spark would do nothing but bounce on the ground. Complain, Complain, Complain... Till he tried a set of DJI propellers. Then it flew nicely.

Worth it to go to DJI and buy a couple full sets. Having a few sets laying around will quiet the "should I" question, at least for me it has. If in doubt, just swap 'em out and move on in my opinion.

So I did something dumb & am feeling really stupid, but can you guys help a newbie out?

I'm still learning to fly drones and was practicing flying facing myself to get comfortable with the controls "reversed". It was getting dark, but I wanted just a few more minutes before the rainy weekend started. I was flying backwards away from me and after I let go of the stick it drifted for another second or so. Directly into a wooden privacy fence :(.

It hit the ground and I guess there was enough momentum to fold one of the front arms back and fold the props up like for storage. I really didn't think I was moving that fast at all! I folded the arm back out and it snapped in place like normal and did not feel loose.

2 of the props have what appears to be scuffing on them, this is the worst one. I couldn't see any nicks in any of the props, but I felt a very small one on 2 props running my finger along the edges.

View attachment 111224

None of the arms felt loose and I powered the drone back up. The preflight check said to check the props to make sure they were installed correctly. I took all 4 props off, visually inspected everything and not seeing anything unusual reinstalled the props and powered it back up. This time the preflight check passed and it lifted off. I took it to about 6' and did slowly made several spins, side slips and flew forward and backward. Everything appeared normal and it appeared to fly normal.

Taking it back inside I did a closer inspection of the drone itself and noticed a small gap difference between the 2 rear legs (shown here).

View attachment 111225

The gap on the right is even all the way around the joint and I honestly can't say if it was like this before the crash or not.

Now that you have the whole (probably overly drawn out) story, is the rear leg gap something to be concerned with and should I replace the props?
Yes I'm very OCD, please forgive me, but this is my first drone and I don't wan to lose it or crash it worse than I already have.

Thanks guys, I really appreciate it!
I have the same different gap between the two rear legs on my brand new mavic air 2, since I bought it. It came like this from the factory... Don't worry about it, but you should check that the leg dont pop up much more frequently.
Fly app will tell you to check the correct installation of props if you tilt the drone during take of , as it detects that your drone is not stable enough.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
James Hoogenboom