DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Is this how Raw images are supposed to look like?

ibuyufo

Reactions
Hi All,

I took a bracketed (5) of this playground to test for camera sharpness and I was wondering if this is how it's supposed to look like?

The file is below and thanks for looking!

DJI_0086.DNG

A RAW file needs processing with a dedicated software.
Thanks Kilrah. But the sharpness is comparable to what you get from your mavic when shooting raw? The image looks pretty soft to me and I just wanted to know if that was the case with all raw images?

Again what are you watching it with? If you look at what you see on the page you posted all you're seeing is a small size "thumbnail", not the actual photo. You need RAW processing software to view the complete data, and it will look dull until you process it.

This is it run through proper RAW workflow, processed to my taste - it looks excellent. Click for full size obviously.

DJI_0086.jpg

Thanks Kilrah. But the sharpness is comparable to what you get from your mavic when shooting raw? The image looks pretty soft to me and I just wanted to know if that was the case with all raw images?
Soft? That's a pretty sharp and clear image if you ask me. The edges are very clearly defined.

Reactions: ibuyufo
Thanks for verifying the image. I'm still new to the Mavic and I guess I read too bad stories about the camera that I convinced myself there's something wrong with mine. Also, another reason is that I see some of the images posted and they're super sharp.

Thanks for verifying the image. I'm still new to the Mavic and I guess I read too bad stories about the camera that I convinced myself there's something wrong with mine. Also, another reason is that I see some of the images posted and they're super sharp.
Keep in mind that do not have to shoot in RAW to touch-up/edit pics.

That image looks pretty sharp. In my opinion there are three categories to master and each one takes time but with time and patience almost anyone with a desire to learn can do it.

First, fly the drone and familiarize yourself with the GO4 app, it numerous settings and features and there are endless. Second, after you are comfortable with all of that you can start to figure out the best settings and techniques to shoot a photo or capture video from a flying platform, again there numerous settings and features for both photo and video. Third, after you capture the photo or video you can begin to edit it with whatever software program you are familiar with. (ie. Final Cut Pro, Premier Pro, DaVinci Resolve, etc.) again all this takes time depending on each of your strengths and weakness for each category. (1.Drone Flying 2. Photo/Video Capturing 3. Photo Video Editing.) From a scale of 1-10 I rank myself as a 7-5-5...lol

That would make an awesome jigsaw puzzle. Not seeing the softness of which you speak. The thing about RAW and 4K is that you're spending your time acquiring image data. To get the most out of both you get to decide which data to keep and which to ignore in your post-processing. @Stameatz is right, there are many things to learn both on the imaging side and the processing side all of which are going to require you to get (the equivalent) of an advanced degree.

If you are a pixel peeper you will not be happy w the camera on the Mavic. Do not expect DSLR quality images from it. That said it is more than capable of capturing some beautiful images!

Last edited:
Reactions: geevee
I agree with southern comfort, you have to be really patient with the still photo feature here in RAW. That being said just watch your ISO and let Lightroom do its thing

Reactions: SouthernComfort
Thanks for all the advice. I don't have much experience processing these raw files and I'll need to learn more for sure!

That image looks pretty sharp. In my opinion there are three categories to master and each one takes time but with time and patience almost anyone with a desire to learn can do it.

First, fly the drone and familiarize yourself with the GO4 app, it numerous settings and features and there are endless. Second, after you are comfortable with all of that you can start to figure out the best settings and techniques to shoot a photo or capture video from a flying platform, again there numerous settings and features for both photo and video. Third, after you capture the photo or video you can begin to edit it with whatever software program you are familiar with. (ie. Final Cut Pro, Premier Pro, DaVinci Resolve, etc.) again all this takes time depending on each of your strengths and weakness for each category. (1.Drone Flying 2. Photo/Video Capturing 3. Photo Video Editing.) From a scale of 1-10 I rank myself as a 7-5-5...lol

Thank you for your advice, I am so new, I haven't even gotten it off the ground. Is there a video to help with the showing how the controls work, I have seen several, but they are actually too advanced for me. Do I need to have a Wi-fi connection to run the drone? Thanks again.

Thank you for your advice, I am so new, I haven't even gotten it off the ground. Is there a video to help with the showing how the controls work, I have seen several, but they are actually too advanced for me. Do I need to have a Wi-fi connection to run the drone? Thanks again.
Not to sound mean, but if you can't even get if off of the ground, then you haven't read the manual. The Mavic comes with a comprehensive manual.

The thing pretty much flies itself. Just make sure to wait until your home point locks in before you take off.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jlhdez