DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Is "Time to Discharge" the intelligent Mavic 2 batteries "still a thing"?

The Mavic Pro 2 is set to automatically discharge the batteries after 10 days. It is no longer user selectable as it was for the Original Mavic Pro.
The bags will suffice to contain any issues with the batteries as well. Make sure that the batteries are stowed in the overhead bins with carry on luggage and not placed in any check in luggage.
When going out to fly my batteries were both discharged automatically. But my last flight was only 6 day ago. No option to change anymore like on the original Mavic. Bummer.

When going out to fly my batteries were both discharged automatically. But my last flight was only 6 day ago. No option to change anymore like on the original Mavic. Bummer.
Good reason to check on this 12-24 hrs before anticipated flights.

this thread is over a year old,and i believe that the M2P now has the ability to change the no of days to auto discharge

Reactions: Thomas B
Good reason to check on this 12-24 hrs before anticipated flights.
Thanks, but doesnt work like that for me. I need to descide when to fly with short notice. So this morning I lost one hour flying time on charging. When arriving at my spot it was to late, the lights was all wrong.

Thanks, but doesnt work like that for me. I need to descide when to fly with short notice. So this morning I lost one hour flying time on charging. When arriving at my spot it was to late, the lights was all wrong.
Only other way to go is an aftermarket charger. The one below is what I use. Charges 4 batteries and controller in 90 minutes. There are different models for different drones. Work at home and in car.

It's weird to me. You can take a fully operational, fully charged laptop/battery (8100mah) on a plane, but not a drone battery (3100mah).

It's weird to me. You can take a fully operational, fully charged laptop/battery (8100mah) on a plane, but not a drone battery (3100mah).

It’s not the capacity that is the issue it’s the type of battery. LiPo batteries are not considered as safe as the Laptop’s Lithium Ion. They can readily catch fire if punctured as could happen in a serious aircraft accident.

Reactions: Tom Johnson
Where did you get the idea that you cannot take a 3100 mAh drone battery on a plane?

It’s not the capacity that is the issue it’s the type of battery. LiPo batteries are not considered as safe as the Laptop’s Lithium Ion. They can readily catch fire if punctured as could happen in a serious aircraft accident.
Oh, thanks for pointing that out. I get it.

Where did you get the idea that you cannot take a 3100 mAh drone battery on a plane?
Not that you can't take one on a plane - was wondering why you had to discharge it but not a laptop battery (for example). But SkyeHigh corrected me.

Not that you can't take one on a plane - was wondering why you had to discharge it but not a laptop battery (for example). But SkyeHigh corrected me.
But you don't have to discharge it (despite the number of forum posts that might say you do).

Extensive searching doesn't show any airline in the world asking for this.
The only place I find any mention of it is here in the IATA's guidance document for shipping lithium batteries as air cargo:

The International Air Transport Association (IATA) is the international body that supports aviation with global standards for airline safety, security, efficiency and sustainability.
All airline lithium battery policies are based on the IATA standards.
And the IATA's guidelines for Passeneger Traveling With Lithium Batteries:

.... makes absolutely no mention of discharging batteries before traveling by plane.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bigbrute