DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Issue switching mode

Biodarwin

Reactions
I have researched this to death, but while other cases are similar, mine is a bit different. I just started having this problem recently. No matter what mode I put the controller in, I have the same consistent speed. Cine mode is just as fast as Sport mode. The top speed has been 22-23 mph. I have confirmed that I started the drone with the switch in the Normal position. I have tried switching it back in forth during flights to no avail either. Flight logs show the mode switching, but the GoFly App always said N Mode. When I move the switch, the display icon via the screen is telling me I am changing modes, but nothing changes.

I have a new tablet coming in today, so I will have something else to test on outside of my phone. I was messing around with Rosetta Drone, but it crashes on my phone and removed the app. Not sure if its relevant, but its the only "anomaly" I can think of. Any ideas? Is there a factory default setting? LOL

That is weird. The Flyapp should not affect that. The only thing that came to my mind is payload mode. Make sure is not in beginner mode the drone and the payload mode are not selected. I will also reload the firmware on the drone from the DJI assistant 2 software on the computer.

Reactions: Biodarwin
That is weird. The Flyapp should not affect that. The only thing that came to my mind is payload mode. Make sure is not in beginner mode the drone and the payload mode are not selected. I will also reload the firmware on the drone from the DJI assistant 2 software on the computer.
It's my understanding that the Mavic Air 2 does not have a beginner mode. Someone correct me if I am wrong. I will try reloading the firmware via a USB cable

Reactions: zeusfl
...Flight logs show the mode switching
...but the GoFly App always said N Mode.
...When I move the switch, the display icon via the screen is telling me I am changing modes, but nothing changes.
What you describe is slightly confusing & contradictory ...

Share a .TXT flight log from a flight when this happens instead, that might give some clues.

Go here & upload your log (where to find it is described a bit further down there...), come back & share the link they provide once you have uploaded. --> DJI Flight Log Viewer | Phantom Help

Reactions: djctwo
Does airdata work?
What you describe is slightly confusing & contradictory ...
I can see how lol. The pop up at the bottom of the screen shows the mode change, it pops up for 1-2 seconds then goes away. The upper part of the screen where the mode is displayed, never changes.

Does AirData link work?

One thing I notice specifically is that when reviewing the flight in the DJI Fly app, it shows the flight mode changing from P to S to C. When viewing through air data, the status is always P-GPS

Well ... the log itself doesn't show any other modes than ordinary N-mode (P-GPS mode) & a mode called either "Detour or Gentle-GPS" which is APAS active during N-mode.

In below chart the background colors indicate flight mode ...

From the left ...
Pink+Green=motor start & take-off
Yellowish=APAS active (Gentle-GPS mode)
Blue=N-mode (P-GPS mode)
& to the right, Green=Landing

The 2 graphs show,
the red=heading speed which in N-mode should be max 12m/s (27mph)
the green=your forward flight stick command (value 1024=neutral, max=1684)

The heading speed is somewhat low for N-mode, averaging around 13mph (6m/s) ... but on the other hand the flight wasn't really consistent without any longer max stick inputs here.

(Click on the charts below to make them larger)
1638464904015.png

In below chart I have instead depicted the,
Black=tilt angle (which during N-mode is max 20 degrees which seems to be the case here)
Red=VPS height (which here showing you flying between 18-8ft or 6-2,5m) the lower height might have affected the acceleration if the APAS was active ... could perhaps explain the lower heading speeds shown in the above chart.

1638465593169.png

So in the end ... nothing indicate that your MA2 was in another mode than N-mode. If you used the mode-switch on the RC this could indicate that the switch itself isn't working as it should ... or that APAS have some kind of influence regarding the mode switch, but never heard of that before.

Try again with longer stretches max forward flight on a higher altitude with the APAS turned of & see if that change anything.

Here is a screenshot of the DJIFly App showing that at 2:22 the drone was in S Mode. So weird.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20211202-125247.png
    Screenshot_20211202-125247.png
    407 KB · Views: 11
It might be a firmware issue. With the last firmware or two, my MA2 has issues when switching modes. Normal flies as I expect but, when I switch to Sport for a minute then back to Normal, it barely moves. Never used to behave like that. I used to be able to switch between modes in mid-flight at full speed and it would just slow down to the typical Normal speed, now it wants to almost stop.

I assume it's possible but I've been too lazy to go back to an older firmware.

It might be a firmware issue. With the last firmware or two, my MA2 has issues when switching modes. Normal flies as I expect but, when I switch to Sport for a minute then back to Normal, it barely moves. Never used to behave like that. I used to be able to switch between modes in mid-flight at full speed and it would just slow down to the typical Normal speed, now it wants to almost stop.

I assume it's possible but I've been too lazy to go back to an older firmware.

I'm not, lol. Is there a place where you can find the older firmware?

... Is there a place where you can find the older firmware?
When it comes to craft firmware's that's nothing you find on the web somewhere ... you instead connect your craft to your computer & open DJI Assistance 2 ... there you will have the option to either refresh the present firmware or rollback to an earlier version if DJI have decided that rollback shall be permitted.

When it comes to craft firmware's that's nothing you find on the web somewhere ... you instead connect your craft to your computer & open DJI Assistance 2 ... there you will have the option to either refresh the present firmware or rollback to an earlier version if DJI have decided that rollback shall be permitted.
Kinda what I figured, I do not see the ability to downgrade. Bummer.

This has been turned over to DJI support, I will keep the thread updated in case anyone else experiences this.

I was messing around with Rosetta Drone, but it crashes on my phone and removed the app. Not sure if its relevant, but its the only "anomaly" I can think of. Any ideas? Is there a factory default setting? LOL

And this is what did it. SItting here annoyed, assuming it might take some time for DJI support to work on this, I loaded up Rosetta Drone on my new tablet. After compiling, it ran just fine, unlike what had happened on my phone. Flipping through the settings, it looks like the default configuration disables multiple flight modes :( I changed the configuration and exited the app. I ran outside, and there you have it. I am back to flying fast and slow again. It looks like the setting was set before it crashed, and I had no way of knowing or without being able to change it. I am curious why the setting stuck around even after I deleted the app. Oh well, I am back to flying on my terms! LOL

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wlochaty