DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Issues with Authorization Zone

Ginacap

Reactions
Hi all,

Drone is set up and ready to go. I live in a residential area near a small airport but my house is firmly in the blue authorization zone. I have successfully unlocked this zone following the DJI instructions and was able to get it in the air twice until the drone automatically landed itself. Now, I am totally unable to get the drone flying, with the app displaying in a red bar in the top left "Authorization Zone." I only flew it about 80 ft up and did not leave my property. At this point I am frustrated and disappointed and am hoping that you all may provide some insight.

Thank you!

Apply to FAA for a clearance. I TO in the edges of 2 airport zones. Got a 2 year clearance from FAA... fixed the problem you relate. You may have to send a copy to DJI, but I did not need that.

Apply to FAA for a clearance. I TO in the edges of 2 airport zones. Got a 2 year clearance from FAA... fixed the problem you relate. You may have to send a copy to DJI, but I did not need that.

While he definitely needs to get FAA authorization to fly in controlled airspace (not clear from his post that he's done that or realizes that), that really isn't the direct cause of his drone refusing to fly there. He still needs to use the DJI unlock procedure as well.

What happens when you manually try to start the motors (by pushing both sticks downwards and in)? You should get a prompt on your screen to confirm you are authorized to fly there. Once you successfully clear that prompt, the drone should allow you to fly.

For the FAA authorization, the quickest method of getting authorization is AirMap or Kittyhawk apps, both which let you use the LAANC system for receiving legal permission to fly in controlled airspace.

Reactions: iaincaradoc
While he definitely needs to get FAA authorization to fly in controlled airspace (not clear from his post that he's done that or realizes that), that really isn't the direct cause of his drone refusing to fly there. He still needs to use the DJI unlock procedure as well.

What happens when you manually try to start the motors (by pushing both sticks downwards and in)? You should get a prompt on your screen to confirm you are authorized to fly there. Once you successfully clear that prompt, the drone should allow you to fly.

For the FAA authorization, the quickest method of getting authorization is AirMap or Kittyhawk apps, both which let you use the LAANC system for receiving legal permission to fly in controlled airspace.
To "clear that prompt" as dawgpilot put it, with the aircraft powered and connected you need to scroll down to "Unlock GEO zone" under "Safety", click on the arrow on the right and click on "Import License". Once you do that the Authorization zone prompt should no longer be present. I fly in a GEO zone and do it all the time.

To "clear that prompt" as dawgpilot put it, with the aircraft powered and connected you need to scroll down to "Unlock GEO zone" under "Safety", click on the arrow on the right and click on "Import License". Once you do that the Authorization zone prompt should no longer be present. I fly in a GEO zone and do it all the time.

I've never needed to do that part for a field unlock: I just tick the box and hit submit. (there might be an SMS confirmation code that you have to enter too)

"Importing licenses" should only be necessary if you are requesting unlocks ahead of time via DJI's self-unlock webpage.

I've never needed to do that part for a field unlock: I just tick the box and hit submit. (there might be an SMS confirmation code that you have to enter too)

"Importing licenses" should only be necessary if you are requesting unlocks ahead of time via DJI's self-unlock webpage.
What box are you ticking and then hitting submit?

What box are you ticking and then hitting submit?
As soon as you try to start the motors when in controlled airspace, you should get a pop-up box on the screen. You have to check the box saying you have authorization to fly there, then click submit. After doing so, the drone unlocks the airspace. (this assumes that your phone/tablet has an internet connection)

Edit: Attached a series of screen shots showing the exact process:

Screenshot_20200716-152944.jpg
20200716_153320.jpg
Screenshot_20200716-153038.jpgScreenshot_20200716-153110.jpgScreenshot_20200716-153115.jpgScreenshot_20200716-153122.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: chuckm
As soon as you try to start the motors when in controlled airspace, you should get a pop-up box on the screen. You have to check the box saying you have authorization to fly there, then click submit. After doing so, the drone unlocks the airspace. (this assumes that your phone/tablet has an internet connection)

Edit: Attached a series of screen shots showing the exact process:

View attachment 107993
View attachment 107994
View attachment 107995View attachment 107996View attachment 107997View attachment 107998

Thanks. You have saved me a step. I have been hearkening back to the day when I couldn't fly my then Mini without unlocking the GEO zone in the manner I stated.

Reactions: dawgpilot
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Surprise