DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

It’s out… Are they nuts?

A lot of rich people still watch their money, which is one of the ways they became rich.

You just don't want to get taken advantage of.

I would say the $319 bag and the $1200 RCPro are being taken advantage of.

Regarding the RC Pro, I think it just depends what value you place on certain things.

I own the original SC, and was happy to pay for the excellent ergonomics, better joysticks, true 1000nit screen, and not having to fiddle around with cables and a smartphone. I never had a single problem with it and it just worked perfectly every time. I just hit two power buttons and I am flying within 30 seconds. I never have to worry about phone compatibility, cables failing, getting a call mid-flight, etc. It's also physically smaller than the new controller + smartphone or tablet. I feel the same about the RC Pro. To me that is worth a lot, but I can certainly see lots of people passing on it as a cost savings measure, especially since the standard controller is a bit better now. And if you want a bigger screen than ~5.5", you will probably be better served by something else.

The bag I can't really make a case for, I'm sure it's nice but you will be able to buy something similar for likely 1/3 the price and that's what I plan on doing.

Reactions: sar104 and Coskier
Love my P4Ps and made mistake of buying a Mini 1 when first offered. Shoulda waited for the 2 bit upgraded to a used A2. It does everything I need at a very good price. Fits in nicely with my trusty Phantoms.
Mavic 3 is too new and too expensive for me now but who knows the future.

Have to admit that the flight time would come in handy right now. Just need to locate crab traps that get moved after a big blow, like today. No fancy camera needed. Each 50 trap grid is 1/4 mile wide and 3 miles long with a gps pin dropped at each owner colored crab ball. (Many other owners traps mixed in). Then repeat 20 more times, (if wind allows) and capt drives right to the trap #s. Pretty cool time and money saving stuff. M3 could do with 1 battery what now takes 2. But $2000? I just need a high wind drone with 1hr flight time, 5 mi range, gps, and 1080p camera. That’s all, LOL any suggestions? Using A2 now.
M3 with wetsuit and rescue jacket probably the closest. Maybe a used one next year. 😎

$209

And it looks like you can piecemeal the fly more kit and save money.
Thanks, didn't have much luck finding it on the web. Lol. I thought I posted this response when it was only 4 replies in. Its right up there with inspire 1 batteries.

i,m loving my mavic pro,s the do the job i need alittle mod and litchi and i can go as far as the 3 just have to fly a little lower and slower becuase of the camera and along as i,m going forward and paying attention with planning I caN HAVE 3 OF THEN OUT THERE SEARCHING FOR THE CASh EVERY 35 MINUTES AND 8 TO 12 MILES each OF VIEDO TO STUDY SOMETIMES IN THE HIGH COUNTRY 4 TO SIX MILES IS TOPS BUT I COULD NEVER SEE THAT MUCH COUNTRY WITH ANYTHING ELSE ,BUT SOMETHING I COULDN,T AFFORD TO PAY FOR IF IT WAS A GOOD SEASON

Have to admit that the flight time would come in handy right now. Just need to locate crab traps that get moved after a big blow, like today. No fancy camera needed. Each 50 trap grid is 1/4 mile wide and 3 miles long with a gps pin dropped at each owner colored crab ball. (Many other owners traps mixed in). Then repeat 20 more times, (if wind allows) and capt drives right to the trap #s. Pretty cool time and money saving stuff. M3 could do with 1 battery what now takes 2. But $2000? I just need a high wind drone with 1hr flight time, 5 mi range, gps, and 1080p camera. That’s all, LOL any suggestions? Using A2 now.
M3 with wetsuit and rescue jacket probably the closest. Maybe a used one next year. 😎
i use mine for elk sheds in the spring glad to hear there some hustlers out there m1,m1 m1 ,inspire 1 the m1,s do all the hard work

Part 107 regs don't allow you to use remote spotters to extend your flight range beyond your own line of sight.

§ 107.31 Visual line of sight aircraft operation.
(a) With vision that is unaided by any device other than corrective lenses, the remote pilot in command, the visual observer (if one is used), and the person manipulating the flight control of the small unmanned aircraft system must be able to see the unmanned aircraft throughout the entire flight in order to:
You can have all the VOs you want and then daisy-chain them down the line. All VO's and PIC would then have to be in unhindered radio communication, but you can do that.

Pls gib cash so I can buy it (?

12k should suffice, so I can also get an MBP pro max while at it :p
First, I have to win Squid Game! 😳

• Haha
Reactions: Korrd
Love my P4Ps and made mistake of buying a Mini 1 when first offered. Shoulda waited for the 2 bit upgraded to a used A2. It does everything I need at a very good price. Fits in nicely with my trusty Phantoms.
Mavic 3 is too new and too expensive for me now but who knows the future.
This. +1
I bought a Mini2 in June and last week bought two more batteries for my P4 pro+

I can pretty much do anything i need with these two aircraft. The Mini2 allows me to fly in areas around Toronto that are in the YYZ terminal control zone where I can't fly the Phantom with my basic license.

The Mavic 3 is a nonstarter for me with an insane price! I'd get my transport canada advanced license so I could fly the P4 in otherwise restricted areas before buying anything else. So far the Mini2 has more than paid for itself and has performed admirably for any mission I have thrown at it.

You can have all the VOs you want and then daisy-chain them down the line. All VO's and PIC would then have to be in unhindered radio communication, but you can do that.

[Admins? Should we move this to another thread? How?]

Well, it's confusing. I'm eager to find the answer.

107.31(a) says the RPIC must have the drone in sight throughout the entire flight. But then 107.31 (b) says that the responsibilities defined in (a) can be met by either the RPIC or an observer.

I've relied on the Pilot Institute to make sense of the FAA regs several times. This is from one of their online publications:

"This also means that the drone cannot be allowed to fly too far away for the RPIC to see. Forming a “daisy chain” of visual observers to stretch the scope of visual line-of-sight is expressly prohibited."

Does anyone have any insight? Any documentation that says observers can be used allow a pilot to fly beyond his line of sight?

@BigAl07?

Nope, sorry.

RPIC and VOs must be "co-located". That means they must be able communicate without the aid or any electronics. Basically they need to be standing close enough to the RPC in order to talk to them. Daisy chain VOs are allowed if you have a BVLOS waiver.

Daisy chaining VOs is against FAA regulations.

Reactions: MS Coast
The M3 Cine has several nice features no doubt, although a MFT sensor on a fixed lens with moderate aperture adjustment doesn’t seem to be a big gain over the M2P and not matching an older I2 in several areas. It’s Ocusync 3 is a nice improvement over the LB2 and Ocusync 2.

I don’t feel it’s a price issue… more of a perceived value for the price. Pro or Amateurs will expend large funds for personal satisfaction in addition to profit gain; Many that purchased a much higher cost Inspire 2 didn’t purchase for profit… more serious hobbyist. The M3 Cine is expensive but not overly pricey, not out of reach if valued a worthy investment. Purchasing a new DLSR Mirrorless or MacBook M1 Max are similar price range ($3-5K)… well above other similar options and many will still purchase to gain the preceived benefit's. Personally, a MBP 16 M1 Max is a better investment and substantial improvement over it’s predecessor.

The mentioning of RID or Cat2 for People, these 2 variables will be desired in not to distant future… is that a possible add-on or new craft(s). The need for swapable payloads, multi-lenses, wide angle, larger aperture, possibly much better glass and overall sharpness is missing… I had hoped it would include much more than presented.

If it meets the needs, then it’s a great new craft! Enjoy the improvements!
I’ll wait… just don’t see the gains over the M2P, MA2S & I2.

No - you cannot do that.

Under the recreational exception:

49 USC (a) (3) The aircraft is flown within the visual line of sight of the person operating the aircraft or a visual observer co-located and in direct communication with the operator.​

Under 14 CFR Part 107:

§ 107.31 Visual line of sight aircraft operation.​
(a) With vision that is unaided by any device other than corrective lenses, the remote pilot in command, the visual observer (if one is used), and the person manipulating the flight control of the small unmanned aircraft system must be able to see the unmanned aircraft throughout the entire flight in order to:​
(1) Know the unmanned aircraft's location;​
(2) Determine the unmanned aircraft's attitude, altitude, and direction of flight;​
(3) Observe the airspace for other air traffic or hazards; and​
(4) Determine that the unmanned aircraft does not endanger the life or property of another.​

Nope, sorry.

RPIC and VOs must be "co-located". That means they must be able communicate without the aid or any electronics. Basically they need to be standing close enough to the RPC in order to talk to them. Daisy chain VOs are allowed if you have a BVLOS waiver.

Daisy chaining VOs is against FAA regulations.

Basically yes, but co-located technically only applies to the recreational exemption. Under Part 107 both the PIC and any VOs must both be able to see the aircraft at all times (which makes daisy chaining pointless and doesn't buy distance) but they do not have to be co-located - that word is not used in Part 107.

At least it's not quite as bad as Aussie pricing . . .

Solid pre release order pricing here in Australia, Sphere Drones and D1 Store.
This will be set retail for quite a while from DJI and resellers.

Basic M3 AU$3099 = ~ US$2291 (vs basic on the Best Buy site US$2199)
Flymore AU$4199 = ~ US$3106 (vs flymore on the Best Buy site US$2999)
Cine AU$7199 = ~ US$5325 (vs Cine on the Best Buy site $4999)

Could have been a larger discrepancy, it often is.
If I wanted one, I’d have to sell my first born!

You would think within 2 years they’d have to upgrade the Air 2S to at least comply with CE Mark and RemoteID.

Same for the M3 too.

at most 2 years, maybe sooner.
Is the Mavic 3 complying with CE Mark and RemoteID? Or that an update they will have deploy at a later time?

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
birdevyview