DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

It happened to me ....and I didn't like it

MARK (LI)

Reactions
I live on a corner and was working in my backyard yesterday when I heard the unmistakable sound of a drone right above me...I looked up to see a drone aimed at me, no higher than about 10 feet in altitude....so I waved and it took off across my yard and across the street to the side of my house and up and over the houses across that side street.....I thought it might be the guy who lives across the street that runs in front of my house, although he has a Mini 3 and the one in my yard was bigger...so I went to see, and he was not around.....as I came back around back I heard it again and saw it flying over the middle of that side street again at a low altitude .....it turned towards me and took off again...no operator in sight...a few seconds later the guy who lives in the house across the street on the side of my house came out...turns out he is putting his house up for sale and had someone doing some aerial shots for his listing.....The point is...I can understand why others do not want drones flying over their property, despite the fact that it is perfectly legal...it does feel like an invasion of privacy.

Totally understandable, I have felt the same way even when the drone was probably 50 - 100 feet high but obviously hovering and looking at me. But I quickly came to the conclusion that when I stand in public...but yes I may have felt differently when on my own private property. Especially at 10 feet, sounds kinda low. But safely, brief encounters like this *have* to be tolerated just like if a car on the street pulls up to the curb about 15 feet from you. Drones feel kinda creepy but that's until it happens more frequently and we get used to them. I think it is important for drone owners to experience this so we know what others go thru.

Why didn't you use your RID scanner to find the pilot? That's what it is for, instead of going Karen and go looking for the pilot; what if had you found him/her? You appreciate drone so it probably would not end up being a fight but at the same time, the person on the other end may feel confronted.

Perfectly understandable.

When I do Residential Real Estate, I focus on the house for sale. If amenities are added, I focus on them. I never film other resident's houses.

Reactions: anotherlab
Agreed it is a little invasive BUT I will bet you dealt with the situation in a respectful manner. While some tend to want to be the Mayors of their little hamlets.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ketoduo