DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

It will auto-land in 18 seconds suddenly in NFZ

ihavequestions

Reactions
Hi there,

Just wondering what this logic is. I've seen scenarios where it will let me take off and then suddenly hit an NFZ and it will just countdown to auto-land in something like 18 seconds. Just wondering how that even happens as I thought it can't even take off in an NFZ or enter a zone like that.

Hi there,

Just wondering what this logic is. I've seen scenarios where it will let me take off and then suddenly hit an NFZ and it will just countdown to auto-land in something like 18 seconds. Just wondering how that even happens as I thought it can't even take off in an NFZ or enter a zone like that.
yes it seems that is what happens if you fly into a NFZ, even though you were not in one where you took off from, it is probably to prevent terrorists from targeting sensitive installations

Some of the cases that's happened is where the drone has taken off without GPS and therefore didn't know it was in an NFZ, it's then subsequently acquired a GPS lock and realised it's in an NFZ and auto landed.

If you want a definite answer there are users here who are able to analyse the logs from the drone:

Last edited:
Some of the cases that's happened is where the drone has taken off without GPS and therefore didn't know it was in an NFZ, it's then subsequently acquired a GPS lock and realised it's in an NFZ and auto landed.

If you want a definite answer there are users here who are able to analyse the logs from the drone:

Got it, that makes sense!

Recommend you always wait for the "Home Point Recorded" nice lady message to be spoken before taking off. Taking off without GPS has potential other problems then autolanding....

One to start with is that without GPS lock the drone will be flying in ATTI mode. If you are not familiar with flying in ATTI it might be a little scary. The drone will not stop or apply brakes, it drifts until you apply opposite controls. ATTI is the same as flying indoors with no GPS lock.

One to start with is that without GPS lock the drone will be flying in ATTI mode. If you are not familiar with flying in ATTI it might be a little scary. The drone will not stop or apply brakes, it drifts until you apply opposite controls. ATTI is the same as flying indoors with no GPS lock.
Does obstacle avoidance work with ATTI?

Not sure, never have flown with it in atti.

What drone do you have ?

This very same thing happened to this guy, a thread just yesterday, a Mini . . .

Yes, the OA system still functions but it's far from foolproof and even on the Mavic 2 which has sensors all round the side sensors are not active in most modes. If the drone is low to the ground and can identify the ground with the VPS it can usually hold position better but then when people take off and climb it can no longer do that and is subject to unexpected drifting.

Making sure the drone has a good GPS lock and it's pointing in the direction it thinks it is can prevent a good number of crashes.

Flying without functioning gps is like balancing on one leg. The DJI flight control system fuses together gps data and inertial guidance system data in a closed loop iterative process to control flight. Chopping off that leg means that the drone knows nothing about where it is, and if it’s position is changing. So long as the inertial vectors are constant the drone won’t do anything. The user must do everything. In cases limited to very close ranges it may attempt to avoid drifting into objects.

Standing on 2 legs works much better than standing on one.

When flying and entering a NO Fly Zone, you must turn around immediately and full speed back towards you. I am on a NFZ border by Mcchord AFB now called Joint base Lewis-MCchord. If you do not turn around your craft will land and good luck getting it from the Military Police =)

Reactions: Gindra
When flying and entering a NO Fly Zone, you must turn around immediately and full speed back towards you. I am on a NFZ border by Mcchord AFB now called Joint base Lewis-MCchord. If you do not turn around your craft will land and good luck getting it from the Military Police =)
Hi Dag. Looking for advice. Flying MA in 30x30ft garden due to lockdown UK. Beginner mode, minimum alt. +distance selected. 15 satellites home point recorded. At 4 feet, warning “NF zone nearby, fly with caution, aircraft may hover, RTH may be affected etc. Army Officers selection board, around a mile away (NFZ) Only planning around 8 feet to yaw +camera practice. Not flying atm. My question? could I have problems if I don’t attempt to fly towards the NFZ? Thanks

On a similar line, I live within about 1/2 mile of the outside 5 mile limit of a small airport with no tower. M2P will take off fine, but lately I have been getting a warning not to use RTH as I am flying in restricted air space. I have spoken with the airport (back over a year ago when I got the M2P), and was told "where you are is well outside the approach path, but just stay at or below the tree line level". The warning message is new to about a month ago. Is there a danger to using RTH when the home point is within a restricted area, and you happen to fly out of the restricted zone, and then use RTH to go home, what happens when you cross back into the restricted zone. Does that trigger a forced landing?

You should be o.k. as long as you are flying parallel or away from the NFZ in my experience using both the Mavic Pro and the Mavic Pro 2 and under control with the Dji Go4 App.
Thanks Dag. This thread I think is good. Many people, due to lockdown, will be trying to fly at home. Ok for most, but for me and many others, wouldn’t have been tempted to fly if living near a NFZ. Hopefully more questions will be asked and advice given . Stay safe and fly safe ! !

You should be o.k. as long as you are flying parallel or away from the NFZ in my experience using both the Mavic Pro and the Mavic Pro 2 and under control with the Dji Go4 App.
Also, while on the border of such an NFZ zone, speed is severely restricted even while flying parallel to the perimeter. Only when you start heading away at 90° does full speed capability return.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
testtest