DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

IT'S A MAVIC MIRACLE!!!

Reactions
Hey all you Mavic pilots! I hope you've had a great week. I've got to tell you about the dumbest thing I've done in a while that turned into a Mavic Miracle. I've been flying drones professionally for many years now and I own many various models. I'm an extremely careful pilot and prepare for every flight with utmost detail....except for this moment in time. I recently became a boat owner, and on the maiden voyage of my boat I decided to take my Mavic 2 Zoom with me to capture the experience. Wind gusts that day were from 25 to 30 mph and all around crappy conditions (first red flag that I decided to ignore). It was also overcast so I chose to leave my smart controller at home which was another huge mistake. When I got to the spot on the lake that I liked, I killed the engine and unpacked the Mavic. I got everything all powered up, hit take off, and that's when the panic took over. In my excitement to capture some great video and pics, I forgot to turn off the Obstacle Avoidance and Return To Home. All of a sudden the clouds dissipated, the sun came out, and because of it reflecting off the water I couldn't see my screen at all so I couldn't see to change any functions. I thought to myself "It'll be ok...just calm down I can do this". I flew around for about ten minutes taking video and pics blindly for the most part, and then decided it was time to land back on the boat while I had plenty of battery left. When I got down close to the boat, the Obstacle Avoidance kicked in along with crazy wind, and the drone did all kinds of wild stuff and wouldn't allow me to land. I moved myself to various locations on the boat thinking that might help, but my Mavic continued to be freaked out. I finally got it down close to the back of the boat, it touched down for a moment before getting hit by a gust of wind that took it off the side of the boat and plunged it into the water. I immediately and instinctively pushed the joy stick up, and my fully immersed Mavic flew out of the water. I literally couldn't believe what I was seeing. Incredible!!!! I finally got it down close enough to the boat to grab it out of mid air. I dried it off with a towel and set it on the deck of the boat in the sun. I thought even though it's doing ok now, internally it's going to have issues in the days and weeks to come. That was three months ago, and I've flown it two or three times a week with no issues. So....that's my Mavic Miracle (that needs to be the theme of a thread so that each of you can post your own Mavic Miracles...LOLOLOL), and I hope you have safe flying and a Happy Holidays.

Attachments

• boat.jpg
    boat.jpg
    454 KB · Views: 106
Last edited:
I think I’ve killed my mp I decided to check the back of a hotel roof as we had a storm and found slates from the roof all over the rear parking lot with it being a 4 story building I thought I’ll let the drone go up and video the roof so setup checked everything 100%on drone and controller batteries home point saved good satellite lock so off I go video pictures looked good could see all the holes in the roof .
Then I noticed the pointing on the rear wall was quite bad so decided to video that I dropped the drone behind the building but was to close to the rear wall as my mavic started to move oddly I tried to pull back and gain some hight that’s when it went mental slamming into the rear wall I managed to pull back a little but it slammed back into the wall and with all 4 props trying to drill through the wall as it came down and hit the floor with a sickening thud I have tried to fix it as the gimbal suffered repaired that but it has other faults that I’ve not looked into yet .
I think it lost sat link and just committed suicide lol oh well not done that again

Hey all you Mavic pilots! I hope you've had a great week. I've got to tell you about the dumbest thing I've done in a while that turned into a Mavic Miracle. I've been flying drones professionally for many years now and I own many various models. I'm an extremely careful pilot and prepare for every flight with utmost detail....except for this moment in time. I recently became a boat owner, and on the maiden voyage of my boat I decided to take my Mavic 2 Zoom with me to capture the experience. Wind gusts that day were from 25 to 30 mph and all around crappy conditions (first red flag that I decided to ignore). It was also overcast so I chose to leave my smart controller at home which was another huge mistake. When I got to the spot on the lake that I liked, I killed the engine and unpacked the Mavic. I got everything all powered up, hit take off, and that's when the panic took over. In my excitement to capture some great video and pics, I forgot to turn off the Obstacle Avoidance and Return To Home. All of a sudden the clouds dissipated, the sun came out, and because of it reflecting off the water I couldn't see my screen at all so I couldn't see to change any functions. I thought to myself "It'll be ok...just calm down I can do this". I flew around for about ten minutes taking video and pics blindly for the most part, and then decided it was time to land back on the boat while I had plenty of battery left. When I got down close to the boat, the Obstacle Avoidance kicked in along with crazy wind, and the drone did all kinds of wild stuff and wouldn't allow me to land. I moved myself to various locations on the boat thinking that might help, but my Mavic continued to be freaked out. I finally got it down close to the back of the boat, it touched down for a moment before getting hit by a gust of wind that took it off the side of the boat and plunged it into the water. I immediately and instinctively pushed the joy stick up, and my fully immersed Mavic flew out of the water. I literally couldn't believe what I was seeing. Incredible!!!! I finally got it down close enough to the boat to grab it out of mid air. I dried it off with a towel and set it on the deck of the boat in the sun. I thought even though it's doing ok now, internally it's going to have issues in the days and weeks to come. That was three months ago, and I've flown it two or three times a week with no issues. So....that's my Mavic Miracle (that needs to be the theme of a thread so that each of you can post your own Mavic Miracles...LOLOLOL), and I hope you have safe flying and a Happy Holidays.
Thumbswayup

Preflight over water is quite different than land, especially from a vessel. Sure you will be more prepared next time.

Preflight over water is quite different than land, especially from a vessel. Sure you will be more prepared next time.
I am familiar with the number of precautions one needs to take when flying over water, but what do you mean by “preflight” or do you simply mean “flight”?

Right on buddy they are built very good especially the older models like that I have a Mavic two pro and the first Mavic your story reminds me of my first Mavic when it got caught in a thunderstorm that blue and out of nowhere it was completely getting hammered by rain sideways rain luckily I got it down dried it off and never still have had an issue headed five or six years now still works perfect now this new Mavic three all the things I read I cannot and will not purchase this drone and it sucks because I’ve been waiting on it for a long time a lot of it could be pilot air but the return to home sounds very fishy and you can’t manually control it but I can’t get an answer on this can you posit and stop the return to home nobody will ever respond to my questions but I’m glad that yourYour baby back after taking a swim it’s incredible

Reactions: mereflyer
No....I wish I did. I usually keep recording to the end of my flights, but not this one unfortunately. I was really ticked off later that I hadn't gotten it, but it's the truth.
Ouch! I remember like 1x I would have a super video but forgot to turn the video back on! :oops:
Now before I take off - Video is on until I land! ;)
UnderWater.png

Reactions: mereflyer
More an more drones getting baptized by the Lady of the lake , an living to the tale.

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly in the Rain . land on the Water.
I tell ya if I could figure out that pesky little problem of radio waves not travelling so well through water AquAIRious the flying submarine drone in my mind would be real. 😉😂🙄

Mike

• Haha
Reactions: Phantomrain.org
I think I’ve killed my mp I decided to check the back of a hotel roof as we had a storm and found slates from the roof all over the rear parking lot with it being a 4 story building I thought I’ll let the drone go up and video the roof so setup checked everything 100%on drone and controller batteries home point saved good satellite lock so off I go video pictures looked good could see all the holes in the roof .
Then I noticed the pointing on the rear wall was quite bad so decided to video that I dropped the drone behind the building but was to close to the rear wall as my mavic started to move oddly I tried to pull back and gain some hight that’s when it went mental slamming into the rear wall I managed to pull back a little but it slammed back into the wall and with all 4 props trying to drill through the wall as it came down and hit the floor with a sickening thud I have tried to fix it as the gimbal suffered repaired that but it has other faults that I’ve not looked into yet .
I think it lost sat link and just committed suicide lol oh well not done that again
Sounds like the infamous "wall suck" usually suffered by Tellos and minis flying indoors without prop guards. Been there, done that as recently as this week when I was flying my M2 outside in a very tight area close to walls etc inspecting the new xmas lights I had put up. One wrong move of the stick and I backed it into a wall. No prop guards fitted. Luckily the drop was only about a metre. New set of props and all was ok, oh, and prop guards for the drone! Live, fly and learn.

Last edited:
Amazing story. Not sure how the battery survived but things happen. You are a lucky guy. Next time use a Rescue Jacket.

Sounds like the infamous "wall suck" usually suffered by Tellos and minis flying indoors without prop guards. Been there, done that.
I believe that would be propwash. Lol. It happens to Mavic Pros near cliffs and warerfalls too! Almost lost my M1P to a waterfall a while ago. It is scary.

Mike

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
magic31