DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

It's ALIVE! Darth Iratus Takes to the Air!

Yes, it records sound. You can also hook up earphones/buds to the goggles and hear the motors, while you're flying. I fly with earbuds connected and have 1 in, just so I can hear the pitch of the motors, while I'm flying. You can also record to the drone and goggles, with the highest quality coming from the drone. I have an SD card in both and record to both, having the goggles record full view (props in the recording) and the drone record with the props removed.
I'll have to look into that. I fly by sound a lot.

One time I was flying a full glass-cockpit plane, and I had a total flight instrument failure. The only "instrument" that I still had was the GPS.

I was able to fly to my destination, and descend and land, managing the airspeed, engine speed, and descent rate entirely by sound, without incident.

I think I'd find being able to hear the engine noise to be very useful.

Thx!

:cool:

MM-FPV!

This was my 1st manual flight and you can hear the recording from the drone. I still had attitude restriction enabled and took off in Normal and then switched to Manual after takeoff, which you can tell by the camera angle change at ~15 seconds into the video, when I switched over.

Excellent! I could watch drone vids all day!

Oh...wait...

1650920628070.png

I got two flights in today before the wind got too intense. But there's always vids, both mine and others.

I just finished the Pilot Institute FPV Deep Dive, and I'm going to follow Greg's suggestion, and set the drone to record in "Distortion Correction" mode, but leave the goggles in full FOV for better visibility during flight.

Iratus should arrive the day after tomorrow. I feel like a kid the day before Christmas Eve, staring at a a particular present that I desperately want to open...

:)

MM-FPV!

Excellent! I could watch drone vids all day!

Oh...wait...

View attachment 147334

I got two flights in today before the wind got too intense. But there's always vids, both mine and others.

I just finished the Pilot Institute FPV Deep Dive, and I'm going to follow Greg's suggestion, and set the drone to record in "Distortion Correction" mode, but leave the goggles in full FOV for better visibility during flight.

Iratus should arrive the day after tomorrow. I feel like a kid the day before Christmas Eve, staring at a a particular present that I desperately want to open...

MM-FPV!

I'm about to go fly Pegasus (MA2) here shortly. Testing out the Litchi app and created a few waypoint missions, and want to see how they work. Should be interesting. I plan on flying Maverick tomorrow, since it's supposed to be a fairly calm day. I'll have to get home quick from work and go fly fast, before my girls softball games.

That's exactly what I did as well, with the Drone and Goggles. I started the course a couple weeks ago, but haven't finished it. I didn't even know about it when I started flying Manual, but I do intend to finish it at some point, just for the heck of it.

I hope you have had some sim time but you were going to love that drone I still love mine, I found the Sim that comes with the DJI is not very good I will use lift off or Velocidrone
I'll try the DJI sim first, but I'm open to others if that proves insufficient.

What would be perfect would be a sim program organized around an explicit training syllabus. A sim based course, that shows you how to do an exercise, which you then go practice on the sim, and then on the aircraft. Then you move on to the next exercise.

Does anything like that exist, a course-based simulator? (Or simulator based course...)

Thx!

MM-FPV!

I'll try the DJI sim first, but I'm open to others if that proves insufficient.

What would be perfect would be a sim program organized around an explicit training syllabus. A sim based course, that shows you how to do an exercise, which you then go practice on the sim, and then on the aircraft. Then you move on to the next exercise.

Does anything like that exist, a course-based simulator? (Or simulator based course...)

Thx!

MM-FPV!

Not that I'm aware of. Also, remember that the DJI sim is only available on an iOS device, so you'll have to hunt one down. 1 more day, getting excited yet? 😁

Not that I'm aware of. Also, remember that the DJI sim is only available on an iOS device, so you'll have to hunt one down. 1 more day, getting excited yet? 😁
I am indeed! Like a kid on Christmas Eve, waiting to open that one, big present...

No Sim for Android? How rude!

So would be a good Sim for Android? I have no interest in getting an iOS device. Preferably one that has actual lessons, rather than just Sim capability.

Suggestions?

I suppose that since I'll be flying Iratus in Normal mode for at least a while, I don't actually need Sim time to get started, but I definitely want to do it if I can find the right product.

Thx!

MM-FPV!

I am indeed! Like a kid on Christmas Eve, waiting to open that one, big present...

No Sim for Android? How rude!

So would be a good Sim for Android? I have no interest in getting an iOS device. Preferably one that has actual lessons, rather than just Sim capability.

Suggestions?

I suppose that since I'll be flying Iratus in Normal mode for at least a while, I don't actually need Sim time to get started, but I definitely want to do it if I can find the right product.

Thx!

MM-FPV!

Unfortunately, I don't know of any Sims that will work on Android. If you have a PC, get LiftOff and the DJI FPV add on, both available on Steam.

Keep in mind, Normal/Sport will do absolutely nothing to get you prepared for Manual mode. The only thing flying in those modes will do is help you adjust to the goggles and FPV view. Normal is a completely different beast and flys completely different, so training in some kind of sim is very highly recommend. If absolutely not able to train in a sim, take off in Normal, fly really high, switch to Manual and try to fly, with your finger on the break at all times.

And here is the reason I always keep my finger on the break button! :oops: I'm still working on rolling and adding a bit of yaw to the roll, and this time I added too much yaw and got discombobulated. Good thing for the break button!

Today should be the day! I am so ready!

I just sent an inquiry to DJI Support about an Android-based simulator, so we'll see what they say.

Thx!

MM-FPV!

Unfortunately, I don't know of any Sims that will work on Android. If you have a PC, get LiftOff and the DJI FPV add on, both available on Steam.
I do indeed have a PC. I bought this one late last year so that I could edit my drone vids, a task completely beyond the capacity of my old computer.

What is "Steam"?

Keep in mind, Normal/Sport will do absolutely nothing to get you prepared for Manual mode. The only thing flying in those modes will do is help you adjust to the goggles and FPV view.
The immersive experience is my main motivation for doing this, so I may end up staying in Normal mode for a fair while. I feel no sense of urgency to get to the "Top Gun" stuff.

But I'll get there eventually!
Normal is a completely different beast and flys completely different, so training in some kind of sim is very highly recommend.
That's definitely the plan.
take off in Normal, fly really high, switch to Manual and try to fly, with your finger on the break at all times.
The only specific thing I have in mind that will require Full-Manual is that I want to do a CanyonBall Run at 87 mph!

1651070311020.png

And here is the reason I always keep my finger on the break button! :oops: I'm still working on rolling and adding a bit of yaw to the roll, and this time I added too much yaw and got discombobulated. Good thing for the break button!
To confirm my understanding, if you're flopping around in strange ways in the sky in Full-Manual, and you hit the Brake button, it will then set you upright and hovering.

Yes?

Thx!

MM-FPV!

How did I miss this?!?!!!??

I'm thrilled!! Can't wait for Iratus to meet Velociraptor. Let's make it happen in June!

]

To confirm my understanding, if you're flopping around in strange ways in the sky in Full-Manual, and you hit the Brake button, it will then set you upright and hovering.

Yes?

Thx!

MM-FPV!

Yup, that's correct. You can be inverted or diving and if you hit the break, it will right you and auto switch to Normal mode. Of course, depending on the vertical or horizontal speed, you may drift a little as it comes to a stop, but it's very quick at stopping the beast.

How did I miss this?!?!!!??

I'm thrilled!! Can't wait for Iratus to meet Velociraptor. Let's make it happen in June!
How about Saturday June 4th?

I'm trying to focus a lot of drone stuff around the first Saturday of every month.

But if that doesn't work for you, we can just pick another day.

Who knows? By then I may even be out of Normal mode...

1651075543694.png

I haven't gotten the notice yet that my package has arrived, and I'm getting a bit twitchy...

;-)

MM-FPV!

Yup, that's correct. You can be inverted or diving and if you hit the break, it will right you and auto switch to Normal mode. Of course, depending on the vertical or horizontal speed, you may drift a little as it comes to a stop, but it's very quick at stopping the beast.
Before I do anything adventurous with it, I'll definitely practice with that brake function, so that my fingers know where to go without thought, if there's a need.

Maybe...maybe...I'll make my first timid flight tomorrow...

What's the wind resistance of the FPV? I'd think it would be astronomical.

Thx!

MM-FPV!

Before I do anything adventurous with it, I'll definitely practice with that brake function, so that my fingers know where to go without thought, if there's a need.

Thx!

MM-FPV!

~30mph. I was flying in 12-20mph winds yesterday and had zero issues or high wind warnings.

~30mph. I was flying in 12-20mph winds yesterday and had zero issues or high wind warnings.
I'd expect higher than that...my Mini-2s do just fine at 20-ish mph.

My canyon will no doubt present me with numerous opportunities to test this!

On an unrelated note, how do your create the little signature line for your messages in this forum?

Thx!

MM-FPV!

I'd expect higher than that...my Mini-2s do just fine at 20-ish mph.

My canyon will no doubt present me with numerous opportunities to test this!

On an unrelated note, how do your create the little signature line for your messages in this forum?

Thx!

MM-FPV!
It can probably handle more, but I haven't tested it.

See the screenshots below for adding your signature.

Attachments

• 20220427_121009.jpg
    20220427_121009.jpg
    90.6 KB · Views: 2
  • 20220427_121020.jpg
    20220427_121020.jpg
    91.2 KB · Views: 2
  • 20220427_121033.jpg
    20220427_121033.jpg
    113.2 KB · Views: 2
This. As long as you stay in Normal or Sport, you already have plenty of experience and muscle memory from your various minis. The biggest difference in feel will be the power and performance... GINORMOUS difference.

Good idea to start out in Normal. Still gonna tear around over 40mph, faster than your Mini 2 in Sport.

The other "new" thing for you will be forward Obstacle Avoidance in Normal mode. Works a little different than on other DJI drones... it will flash in the goggles, and slow the drone, more and more, but will not stop.

The FPV is a you‐are-in-charge drone. Even with aids like OA, if you are determined to fly it straight into something, despite the warnings and slowing, well, it'll let you.

You're the pilot.

Thx!

MM-FPV!
Oh, at least 50mph. I'm not joking. The thing is capable of fully controlled flight at 90.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
danyjames_