DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

It's ALIVE! Darth Iratus Takes to the Air!

I just found this interesting DJI FPV vid:

He explicitly discusses the different pilot vs photographer reasons for wanting to fly a drone, which I mentioned a while back.

I am, and forever will be, a Pilot first, and a Photographer second.

Hence, my new FPV, and not a similarly expensive camera drone.

To each his own!

:cool:

MM-FPV!

I just found this interesting DJI FPV vid:

He explicitly discusses the different pilot vs photographer reasons for wanting to fly a drone, which I mentioned a while back.

I am, and forever will be, a Pilot first, and a Photographer second.

Hence, my new FPV, and not a similarly expensive camera drone.

To each his own!

MM-FPV!

He had a fairly good review of it. I'm a mix between pilot and camera operator, it really just depends on what I'm wanting to do.

So, did you get it yet?

One really nice feature of the FPV is it has a pretty good stock camera, capable of 4k/60, one axis of stabilization. Don't need to mount a GoPro to get good enough cinematic footage, keeping in mind the type of footage an Acro drone makes possible.

He had a fairly good review of it. I'm a mix between pilot and camera operator, it really just depends on what I'm wanting to do.

So, did you get it yet?
He's sitting in the unopened box on a little table in front of me, just waiting for me to get my caffeine level up to minimum operational standards.

And I realized that I have been disrespectful when referring to him, by not using his full name and title, which is...

Darth Iratus!

1651140542342.png

MMFPV!

Reactions: RH009
Here's what you see when you first open the box:

When everything is unpacked, it looks like this:

One of the first things I noticed when I picked it up yesterday was the weight. Understandable given all the battery mass in the box, but it caught me by surprise. Just the drone itself is heavy, 795 g, vs 249 g for the Minis. Darth will literally be a cannonball at 60 mph!

Next step: Plug stuff in and start charging!

1651154832183.png

MMFPV!

He's sitting in the unopened box on a little table in front of me, just waiting for me to get my caffeine level up to minimum operational standards.
3:10 AM?!??!!!!?!??

You have regressed to a pimply 15 year old.

It's okay... I did too when I got mine 😄

3:10 AM?!??!!!!?!??

You have regressed to a pimply 15 year old.

It's okay... I did too when I got mine 😄
Ain't it cool?

Sadly, it's highly unlikely that I'll be able to take the inaugural flight today. The wind is blowing like a banshee, and while it does happen, the winds calming down in the afternoon is not the usual pattern here...

:-(

But tomorrow is another day, and I'll have all of the binding and update stuff already done, and the (numerous) batteries already charged.

1651174875513.png

MMFPV!

Sadly, it's highly unlikely that I'll be able to take the inaugural flight today. The wind is blowing like a banshee, and while it does happen, the winds calming down in the afternoon is not the usual pattern here...

But tomorrow is another day, and I'll have all of the binding and update stuff already done, and the (numerous) batteries already charged.

View attachment 147464

MMFPV!

Here's hoping for calm winds and sunny skies. It's been storming here and winds are heavy, so no flying for me. Next decent day for flying looks like Sunday, potentially Saturday evening.

I'd recommend the battery combo, with the plugin that charges 3 batteries at once. In Normal mode and nice weather, you'll drain the one battery in 15ish minutes and you'll be longing for more airtime.

This activation process for the FPV is a complete cluster. Non-linear, and badly/barely explained.

I contacted DJI support. Perhaps they'll get back to me.

Right now I'm torn between sending it back and tossing it over the rail on the back deck.

But, I have faith that it will eventually work.

At least, I do until tomorrow morning...

(sigh)

TCS

This activation process for the FPV is a complete cluster. Non-linear, and badly/barely explained.

I contacted DJI support. Perhaps they'll get back to me.

Right now I'm torn between sending it back and tossing it over the rail on the back deck.

But, I have faith that it will eventually work.

At least, I do until tomorrow morning...

(sigh)

TCS
Oh no!! What's going on? I had no issues, everything was already paired, all I had to do was activate, update and away I went.

Turned all 3 devices on, hooked the goggles up to my phone with DJI FLY, activated, ran the updates, and boom... Good to go.

Here's hoping for calm winds and sunny skies. It's been storming here and winds are heavy, so no flying for me. Next decent day for flying looks like Sunday, potentially Saturday evening.

I'd recommend the battery combo, with the plugin that charges 3 batteries at once. In Normal mode and nice weather, you'll drain the one battery in 15ish minutes and you'll be longing for more airtime.
If, hypothetically, I had a new drone to fly, it looks like there will be a decent weather window this afternoon.

I definitely want to get the Fly More Kit. Or at least, I will if Darth ever flies. It was a huge budgetary strain for me to get the FPV at all, and I'll have to work up to the additional goodies over time.

Thx,

TCS

Oh no!! What's going on? I had no issues, everything was already paired, all I had to do was activate, update and away I went.

Turned all 3 devices on, hooked the goggles up to my phone with DJI FLY, activated, ran the updates, and boom... Good to go.
That's the sequence that worked.

I was misled by, or misunderstood, something in the Pilot Institute "DJI FPV Deep Dive" video. At bottom is the comment that I posted at Pilot Institute.

For now, all seems good to go! I need to let it warm up a bit (It's currently 37º F outside), and then I'll do the real test.

In a way, this CF cycle caused no harm. It was far too windy to fly yesterday, and it's too cold still to fly today, so my actual first FPV flight wasn't delayed by a single minute!

But the kid who anxiously ripped open his favorite present on Christmas morning, only to find it didn't work, doesn't fully buy it yet...

My Pilot Institute comment:
==========================/

At about 3:05 in this video, you suggest that the goggles can be activated in isolation from the other components, the AC and the RC. This activation sequence didn't work for me at all. In fact, it prevented me from getting my new FPV fired up yesterday.

The system had NO INTEREST at all in activating the goggles in isolation. After reading and watching a lot of material, and consulting with DJI, I used the following sequence, which worked.

1) Turn on the Aircraft

2) Turn on the Controller

3) Turn on the Goggles

4) Connect the Goggles to the Phone

5) Launch DJI Fly

After almost a dozen failed attempts, when I did all of these things, in that exact sequence, everything just worked.

The DJI FPV manual mostly says that, but not very clearly, IMNSHO. I'll be suggesting a change to them.

Don't get me wrong, I LOVE Pilot Institute, and I loved this video, but the proposed activation sequence led me astray, and I wanted to let you know.

Thx,

TCS

Reactions: RH009
Glad you got it working!!! Looking forward to your thoughts on flying it. 😁

That's the sequence that worked.

I was misled by, or misunderstood, something in the Pilot Institute "DJI FPV Deep Dive" video. At bottom is the comment that I posted at Pilot Institute.

For now, all seems good to go! I need to let it warm up a bit (It's currently 37º F outside), and then I'll do the real test.

In a way, this CF cycle caused no harm. It was far too windy to fly yesterday, and it's too cold still to fly today, so my actual first FPV flight wasn't delayed by a single minute!

But the kid who anxiously ripped open his favorite present on Christmas morning, only to find it didn't work, doesn't fully buy it yet...

My Pilot Institute comment:
==========================/

At about 3:05 in this video, you suggest that the goggles can be activated in isolation from the other components, the AC and the RC. This activation sequence didn't work for me at all. In fact, it prevented me from getting my new FPV fired up yesterday.

The system had NO INTEREST at all in activating the goggles in isolation. After reading and watching a lot of material, and consulting with DJI, I used the following sequence, which worked.

1) Turn on the Aircraft

2) Turn on the Controller

3) Turn on the Goggles

4) Connect the Goggles to the Phone

5) Launch DJI Fly

After almost a dozen failed attempts, when I did all of these things, in that exact sequence, everything just worked.

The DJI FPV manual mostly says that, but not very clearly, IMNSHO. I'll be suggesting a change to them.

Don't get me wrong, I LOVE Pilot Institute, and I loved this video, but the proposed activation sequence led me astray, and I wanted to let you know.

Thx,

TCS
When you say "activation" do you mean first-time activation in the app, or simply binding all the equipment together on a regular basis?

As far as I can tell, the entire system is ready to go:

I'm going to do a quick mapping mission with one of my Mini-2s first to get "limbered up" for the big event!

The flight training plan for today is pretty simple:

1) Fly from forward flight deck. Normal mode. Goggles off.
2) Lift off, hover, and land.
3) Go to the end of the driveway (about 100 ft), and come back, at about 4 ft elevation
4) Go up 25 ft, and come back down.
5) Go up 25 ft, and out 25 ft, and return
6) Put goggles on
7) Repeat steps 2 - 5
8) Climb up 100 ft, go 100 ft out, and come back and land
9) 200 ft up, 200 ft out
10) Increase by 100 ft increments

As soon as I get the first hint of a low battery indication, I'll complete the flight, and see how long it actually takes to recharge that battery! Of the three components, the goggle battery is the slow boat in terms of charging, it seems.

Some drones have been described as flying cameras. It wouldn't be unreasonable to view the FPV as a flying battery!

I've heard that there's an "enhanced" foam insert for the goggles that lets less light in. Any pointers to that would be greatly appreciated.

Not long now...

:)

TCS

When you say "activation" do you mean first-time activation in the app, or simply binding all the equipment together on a regular basis?
First time out of the box.

Perhaps, that was the source of my misunderstanding.

Thx,

TCS

As soon as I get the first hint of a low battery indication, I'll complete the flight, and see how long it actually takes to recharge that battery! Of the three components, the goggle battery is the slow boat in terms of charging, it seems.

I've heard that there's an "enhanced" foam insert for the goggles that lets less light in. Any pointers to that would be greatly appreciated.

Not long now...

:)

TCS

Yeah, the goggle battery does take quite a while to charge, but I've never timed any of them.

As for the foam replacement, I bought one on Amazon but it didn't cover the nose area, only had a little adhesive foam strip for over the nose. Didn't work real well, so I cut the original foam around the nose area and use them both. I'll send a picture when I get home, currently on the road.

OMG! What a beast!

Just doing the preparations for the flight were vastly more involved than the Mini-2 flight I did an hour or so before. Some of that is just that it was the first time, but there’s just more stuff to consider. I took all the components out to the forward flight deck carefully. I set up a little table and a chair as my flight station, fired up Darth, and set him at my normal launch point.

Those goggles were pretty awkward for me. I definitely need to tighten the straps a bit more. But I got them on, and put them up on my forehead.

But before that, I had turned on the camera I had set up to watch the flight externally, on a tripod. Good thing I did that too, because for the first time ever, flying any drone, I got those stupid “Format SD Card” errors, for both the aircraft and the goggles. Lame! I poked around a little bit trying to do that in real time, but soon gave up. I haven’t yet integrated which controls are on the goggles, and which are on the remote, and I’ve never used goggles before anyhow.

So how do you do that stupid format thing anyhow? In the drone, an external card reader? I’m using SanDisk Extreme 256 GB in both the drone and the goggles. Or at least, I intended to. Lame! It should just work, and it always has in the past.

The “Format SD Card” error kept intruding on the screen, and when it did that, it wouldn’t display any of the flight data! Very seriously frustrating. I was poking at stuff trying to just tell it to go away, and eventually that worked.

I need to change the units to Imperial, but I’m sure that’s easy. I just didn’t think to do it. I can do rough conversions in my head in real time, but I’d very much rather not have to.

When I actually lifted off, it was classic DJI. The props spun up fine, and I gradually added power, until Darth leapt into the air! As planned, I went down to the end of the driveway just looking at it, without the goggles, and brought him back. I went up to about 25 ft, came back down, went up again, went out a little bit, and came back. I never actually landed on any of these occasions; I just brought him back to a hover in front of me.

Time for the goggles!

OMG! I’d never worn VR goggles on any kind before, but I adapted to it in a couple of seconds. I immediately shifted my reference point to being the drone. It’s way more natural to me than trying to fly a drone by watching it. I went down to the end of the driveway and back, but it was all so easy and natural, that I scrapped the other incremental tests, and just took off.

What a rush!

It’s almost spooky how easy and natural it was for me to fall into the perspective of being the drone. I was up in the air and looking around! Sure enough, I moved around in my chair as I was moving around in the air, as others have reported. I did a rotation, and started to cruise down toward the creek…but not for long. All my putzing around had used up most of the battery life.

My fingers definitely don’t know what control is where yet. I got the low battery RTH, and started to climb. I didn’t intuitively know where the button to cancel that was, but I just kept punching buttons on the remote until I found it.

At that point, I flew back to the driveway, descended, and landed pretty much exactly where I had taken off. There was more of a “thump” and a bit more of a hard landing than I expected. Is that normal? I had the left stick full down.

More will come to me the more I think about it. The battery is charging again now, and I should be able to get at least one more flight in today. A big problem that I have is that there’s a semi-infinite amount of FPV crap that I “need” to buy, with a decidedly non-infinite amount of money! But the Fly More Kit is definitely top of the list, and it probably won’t take me many cycles of impatiently waiting for the battery to recharge before I just do it.

I’m an FPV Pilot!

Yow-wow!

1651262931328.png
1651262935860.png
1651262940067.png

TCS

• Love
Reactions: EpicFlight
OMG! What a beast!

Just doing the preparations for the flight were vastly more involved than the Mini-2 flight I did an hour or so before. Some of that is just that it was the first time, but there’s just more stuff to consider. I took all the components out to the forward flight deck carefully. I set up a little table and a chair as my flight station, fired up Darth, and set him at my normal launch point.

Those goggles were pretty awkward for me. I definitely need to tighten the straps a bit more. But I got them on, and put them up on my forehead.
I got a strap that doesn't go over the head, just around it and holds the battery. I find it so much easier to use and more comfortable, personally..

But before that, I had turned on the camera I had set up to watch the flight externally, on a tripod. Good thing I did that too, because for the first time ever, flying any drone, I got those stupid “Format SD Card” errors, for both the aircraft and the goggles. Lame! I poked around a little bit trying to do that in real time, but soon gave up. I haven’t yet integrated which controls are on the goggles, and which are on the remote, and I’ve never used goggles before anyhow.
I'm sure you already figured it out, but on the top right side of the goggles is the 5D control and you use that to move up/down/left/right/select on the menu of the goggles. I don't have my goggles with me right now, but I know there is a format option in there, maybe under the camera menu. Just press the 5D button down when you have the goggles powered up and the menu should pop up.

So how do you do that stupid format thing anyhow? In the drone, an external card reader? I’m using SanDisk Extreme 256 GB in both the drone and the goggles. Or at least, I intended to. Lame! It should just work, and it always has in the past.
You can format both in the goggles through the menu, using the 5D button.

The “Format SD Card” error kept intruding on the screen, and when it did that, it wouldn’t display any of the flight data! Very seriously frustrating. I was poking at stuff trying to just tell it to go away, and eventually that worked.

I need to change the units to Imperial, but I’m sure that’s easy. I just didn’t think to do it. I can do rough conversions in my head in real time, but I’d very much rather not have to.
Same thing, you can change the settings in the goggles with the 5D button. Everything is programmed in those menus. The imperial data will ONLY show in the flight displays, it won't change in the settings menu. So, if you change the return to home height in the menu, you will still choose a metric unit, not imperial. And it's dumb, because it jumps from 100meters to 200 or 250 meters, you can't set the RTH incrementally, which means you can't set it at 400', but rather 100 meters or ~330 feet.

When I actually lifted off, it was classic DJI. The props spun up fine, and I gradually added power, until Darth leapt into the air! As planned, I went down to the end of the driveway just looking at it, without the goggles, and brought him back. I went up to about 25 ft, came back down, went up again, went out a little bit, and came back. I never actually landed on any of these occasions; I just brought him back to a hover in front of me.

Time for the goggles!

OMG! I’d never worn VR goggles on any kind before, but I adapted to it in a couple of seconds. I immediately shifted my reference point to being the drone. It’s way more natural to me than trying to fly a drone by watching it. I went down to the end of the driveway and back, but it was all so easy and natural, that I scrapped the other incremental tests, and just took off.

What a rush!
It absolutely is a rush and will get your heart racing! So much fun!

It’s almost spooky how easy and natural it was for me to fall into the perspective of being the drone. I was up in the air and looking around! Sure enough, I moved around in my chair as I was moving around in the air, as others have reported. I did a rotation, and started to cruise down toward the creek…but not for long. All my putzing around had used up most of the battery life.
Yup, battery life goes quick, especially when you're having fun!

My fingers definitely don’t know what control is where yet. I got the low battery RTH, and started to climb. I didn’t intuitively know where the button to cancel that was, but I just kept punching buttons on the remote until I found it.

At that point, I flew back to the driveway, descended, and landed pretty much exactly where I had taken off. There was more of a “thump” and a bit more of a hard landing than I expected. Is that normal? I had the left stick full down.
It's not as graceful at landing as my MA2, so maybe we're seeing the same thing. I usually land on my landing pad, in grass... I've never landed on a truly hard surface, so not 100% sure.

More will come to me the more I think about it. The battery is charging again now, and I should be able to get at least one more flight in today. A big problem that I have is that there’s a semi-infinite amount of FPV crap that I “need” to buy, with a decidedly non-infinite amount of money! But the Fly More Kit is definitely top of the list, and it probably won’t take me many cycles of impatiently waiting for the battery to recharge before I just do it.
Yeah, the extra batteries was my top priority, then I added the case, head strap, lanyard, goggles foam pad, goggle insert (to protect from the sun), motion controller, strobe holder, strobe light, battery numbers, etc. But I'd make batteries your top priority. My next purchase will be an extra set of goggles, so spectators can enjoy the flight.

I’m an FPV Pilot!
Yes you are, welcome to the club!!!!!

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kclarke2929