DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

It's my turn, disconnect and lost :Edit Mark another up for pilot stupidity

Strange, I get this when I try to play the video. Never seen this before.

Reactions: DTC709
Strange, I get this when I try to play the video. Never seen this before.

Sorry, are you in Canada or Germany? Apparently because I used "The Final Countdown" as the music they blocked it in those two countries due to a copyright problem. I could remove the music if y'all want, what do you think?

Sorry, are you in Canada or Germany? Apparently because I used "The Final Countdown" as the music they blocked it in those two countries due to a copyright problem. I could remove the music if y'all want, what do you think?

Yup I'm in Canada. If it's not too much trouble I'd like to see the video. Thanks.

Reactions: Kikade
Yup I'm in Canada. If it's not too much trouble I'd like to see the video. Thanks.
I guess I'll remove the music and see if that fixes it. Just pull up your iTunes and play something in the background;). Try it agin in 5-10 minutes.

Sorry, I'm struggling with YouTube, it was giving me the option to remove audio but now its not, argh!

Unfortunately I didn't get around to re-editing the video (really busy), but here is the first one I put together from that day. I apologize in advance for the bad color correction and the times where I almost come to a stop while recording (its very annoying and that's what I wanted to re-edit), we had family in town and I was talking with them while flying so I was a little distracted. Anyway, here it is.
Wow!! Gorgeous scenery. I'll say this.....losing your drone sucks. But watching the end of this video....
If I didn't know any better, I would think that you fell asleep behind the wheel. ;)

Wow!! Gorgeous scenery. I'll say this.....losing your drone sucks. But watching the end of this video....
If I didn't know any better, I would think that you fell asleep behind the wheel. ;)
That's actually not too far off, sun on the screen, talking to family, and all the technical flying done. I thought I could just relax and come home...right into a hill:confused:.
Still working on YouTube, it wants to re-process the video and my internet just isn't up to it...sorry Canada, tomorrow or Sunday I can fix it.

Fortunately
when you crash a drone you are alive to learn the lesson.
1 - I kept waiting to hear the cockpit warning voice - "Terrain! Pull up" "Terrain! Pull up"
2 - found myself morbidly predicting where it was going to impact.

It wasn't clear how far you were from the crash sight. Did you try moving toward the last position to see if it reconnected? I found my drone in thick brush that way once. I got close and got a connection and recorded myself on video as I walked right by it (it was about 10 feet up and I was looking on the ground). I kept circling around the spot until I just happened to see the tail strobe flashing.

Reactions: MavicCF
Interesting story that strenghtens my belief in using exclusively Litchi waypoints missions for this kind of flights (missions checked and re-checked at home using VLM, thanks to Namirda). Glad you could recover your Mavic without major problems :)

Reactions: faceman and MavicCF
I just got a brain wave. What if we put stickers that glow with UV light on our drones? If it's in the forest/bush, shine a UV light among the trees and it'll glow in the dark!
Actually I have a small thermal camera that I hook to my phone I pack along just in case. Both SeekThermal and FLIR make them for both iPhone and Android.
Seems reasonable that the thermal signature would last longer than the battery and stand out better.

Pretty awesome you (and mom) found it. I've actually learned a lot from this thread.

Enjoyed the video too.

Actually I have a small thermal camera that I hook to my phone I pack along just in case. Both SeekThermal and FLIR make them for both iPhone and Android.
Seems reasonable that the thermal signature would last longer than the battery and stand out better.
Won't that only work at night and you find it within 20mins (or before the battery shuts off and cools down?) If it's the day, aiming to return with 30% battery, if I crash my drone, it'll still have at least 30% battery. Enough time to try to reestablish connection with RC and get location, and also activate the Find My Drone LED flash or beeping. Kinda what happened to my spark, it hit a tree branch and fell into a bed of dried reeds. Took a while to find, but I activated the beeping to help locate it. The reed broke the fall, so no damage. And that way mid day.

Reactions: Mkistler
Unfortunately I didn't get around to re-editing the video (really busy), but here is the first one I put together from that day. I apologize in advance for the bad color correction and the times where I almost come to a stop while recording (its very annoying and that's what I wanted to re-edit), we had family in town and I was talking with them while flying so I was a little distracted. Anyway, here it is.
Ouch! Thanks for sharing this.

Fortunately
when you crash a drone you are alive to learn the lesson.
1 - I kept waiting to hear the cockpit warning voice - "Terrain! Pull up" "Terrain! Pull up"
2 - found myself morbidly predicting where it was going to impact.

It wasn't clear how far you were from the crash sight. Did you try moving toward the last position to see if it reconnected? I found my drone in thick brush that way once. I got close and got a connection and recorded myself on video as I walked right by it (it was about 10 feet up and I was looking on the ground). I kept circling around the spot until I just happened to see the tail strobe flashing.
I needed that warning!
It was almost exacty 4000 feet from the home point when I "landed" it, I did sprint part way up towards it hoping to regain connection, but was unable (I wonder if it had to do with the right AC antenna being snapped off?). So we went home with the family and came back up 1/2 an hour later. Didn't actually find it until the next day though. Definitely good advice though, the faster you can get to the crash site the better. -CF

How well do those things work? I've looked at 'em before, but was unsure.
I wonder if you could do a "find the Mavic demo" to see how well it picks up the Mavic's signature? That would be really cool and useful:)!

Yeah the soldering would be thing that would give me pause. Unless you have experience in this area I would send to Thunderdrones.
I'm fairly good at soldering, been doing racing quads, planes, crawlers, airsoft guns, etc for years, but when I looked at the Mavic, I realized how much I didn't want to mess up...so I sent it to Thunderdrones:).

Ok, so I think I got it fixed for you Canadians and Germans. Audio is removed and I don't see the copyright page anymore. Give it a shot and let me know.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Surprise