DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

I've got a lot to learn

That’s a very old video. But interesting just the same

Avoiding trees is simple, just fly above them. I'm pretty much surrounded by trees in all directions, I just fly up high enough that they don't cause an issue. I do have to be careful flying longer distances, because then there are trees on hills, but typically I'm not flying where I can't see the drone or am not familiar with the terrain.

Something I was able to learn several years ago flying ultralight aircraft.
Altitude is your friend. Nothing up there except wind, and allows time for recovery in case of a problem. The damage caused by a fall from 100 feet is going to be about the same as from 1500. Its the sudden stop that hurts.

Avoiding trees is simple, just fly above them. I'm pretty much surrounded by trees in all directions, I just fly up high enough that they don't cause an issue. I do have to be careful flying longer distances, because then there are trees on hills, but typically I'm not flying where I can't see the drone or am not familiar with the terrain.
Exactly. I've learned that the dramatic effect of flying close to immovable objects rarely pays off...actually can be costly. Also the visual perspective from the ground can mislead me into thinking it's higher and further away than it appears. Making it a good practice to coordinate the visual with the screen information.

Reactions: naiku
Something I was able to learn several years ago flying ultralight aircraft.
Altitude is your friend. Nothing up there except wind, and allows time for recovery in case of a problem. The damage caused by a fall from 100 feet is going to be about the same as from 1500. Its the sudden stop that hurts.
I have recreational pilots license and flew a J 5 in my younger days. You are exactly right about altitude. It's a different perspective being in the aircraft from being on the ground. So after some hard lessons, I have learned to better coordinate the visual with the the screen information.

Avoiding trees can be challenging but the more dangerous thing is power lines and support wires for towers. They are virtually invisible. Obstacle avoidance sensors help, they actually work fairly well on the Mavic 2 platform and will sense trees with leaves most of the time. The sensors will typically not be able to “see” small thin objects like tree branches without leaves, and wires.

Reactions: davidzimagery
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bbj5143