DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Jello effect heavy in video

Thanks for the reply. I will upload the video later because I just arrived at work. I'm hoping that its the blades, I haven't changed them since I received the Mavic which was a few days before Christmas. I have care refresh but I hope I wont have to use it because if its anything with the motors or rotors i'm clueless. Thanks so much for responding halley.

Sent my Mavic off for the same reason and was all covered under the warranty so don't worry about your care refresh.

Sent from my iPhone using MavicPilots

Sounds like it could also possibly be prop shadows. Jello is horizontally shifted lines of video where prop shadows are horizontally tilt lines scrolling through your video. You can tell which it is by looking at a single frame of video with the effect

Sent from my iPhone using MavicPilots

I have been having something similar. It happens when I abruptly start or stop the drone after fast speeds (up/down, but also forward/back).

It's not really jello, but horizontal lines (like interference) for a split second after the abrupt stop. It does not affect my footage realistically because those aren't any type of shots that I would ever need (start or stop suddenly).

I haven't seen any issues with the gimble bands (they are installed properly) nor is there anything visibly wrong with the blades. Might be something is loose, but it doesn't really bother me during normal photography sessions.

I've only started with manual, but it does happen in regardless of shutter speed.

I'm waiting on my ND filters (could take a while)

Next time take your Mavic up to eye level (not too close!) and carefully inspect the alignment of the four 'disks' made by the props spinning to see if they are all straight and co-planar.
Also check the many articles and videos on balancing your props - it's harder to do with folding props, but possible.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using MavicPilots mobile app

Having had this issue from the first flight I know it is not necessarily related to "bad props", "gimbal stand offs", "crashes", "settings of the shutter speed"... though to be sure those things cause similiar issues. Here's what my video looked like within about less than 20 minutes of actual in the air time (cut down to 1 minute and 40 seconds for clarity and brevity) .
I was able to improve the video somewhat with the addition of the weight of a filter but even that didn't completely remove the jello or wavy affect. I even tried the latest firmware update this week hoping to not have to send this unit back to DJI But after chatting with DJI and running through several tests including calibrating the IMU they simply sent me a RMA and UPS label to return the bird to them. It's on its RTH. In all manufacturing some units will experience issues or imperfections. I was just unfortunate enough to get one. Disappointed but not dismayed... this copter is way to much fun and a finely built piece of tech. Looking forward to getting it back.

03/18/17 Update - DJI assessed it this week and repaired it under warranty. They haven't shipped yet but likely early next week. The shipping performance from UPS sucks but so far I am pleased with DJI service. I know that some seem to bash them but I've found them to be prompt at communications. I'll post a follow up when the bride is in the air in Canada! It won't be very high in the air (thanks to new oppressive regs here) but I'm still looking forward to many back-country roads and hikes with the MP.

Last edited:
Reactions: Nate107
Maybe someone already mentioned it but I've seen a problem mentioned where the gimbal base plate gets out from under it's retaining arms and loses some damping. There was a video on YouTube maybe you can find it or someone else has a link so you can check you don't have that problem.

Reactions: Nate107 and ggessel
If not a misaligned mounting. That is definitely a warranty case, not normal in any way you look at that. Looks like possibly stepper motor (gimbal) stutter.

Reactions: Nate107
Thanks for sharing that video and your experience. My footage is exactly like yours and I've tried everything suggested by Dji and fellow pilots. I feel similar about not being mad, I understand that with any manufactured product their is a chance for defects and I agree that this is such an awesome device, I'll patiently wait for its return. I hope you get your bird back in the air soon. I will have to initiate my rma on Monday because their website support and return claim sections of the website didn't work on Saturday.:( Hope all goes well, thanks.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pocki