DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Jello Effect - Normal or Defective

Srcrain

Reactions
I know this has been talked about a lot before but I have a simple question.

I get Jello effect infrequently and randomly. It is probably worst in windy conditions, but it can really be anytime. Also, my problem isn't continuous, but only happens for a split second maybe every 4-5 minutes. Sometimes more, sometimes less. My question is - Is some minor level of jello effect normal for the Mavic or is it a defect that can be fixed. The reason I am asking now (this issue has been ongoing since I got the Mavic) is that my DJI Care Refresh is about to expire (mid-Feb), and I want to know if I should send it in for repairs, or is this just an issue with the Mavic that can't be completed fixed.

I get Jello effect infrequently and randomly. It is probably worst in windy conditions, but it can really be anytime. Also, my problem isn't continuous, but only happens for a split second maybe every 4-5 minutes. Sometimes more, sometimes less. My question is - Is some minor level of jello effect normal for the Mavic or is it a defect that can be fixed. The reason I am asking now (this issue has been ongoing since I got the Mavic) is that my DJI Care Refresh is about to expire (mid-Feb), and I want to know if I should send it in for repairs, or is this just an issue with the Mavic that can't be completed fixed.
We need to know a little more about the circumstances when it occurs.

Is it when it's very bright out... sand snow, etc? It it when it is very cold... e.g. < single digits F?

Ordinarily, the Mavic should produce no jello, (don't recall ever seeing it on mine), but under certain conditions I've heard of it happening briefly.

In just about every video I have taken over the past 11 months I get at least one or two burps. It is not the bad jello effect I have seen shown on Youtube of the whole video being shaky.

Temperature does not seem to be the issue, it has been both hot and cold. Brightness (sunny or cloudy) hasn't been an issue as it has happened during both conditions. I would definitely say that strong winds make it worse, but it has happened in mild to no wind conditions. It also happens when flying straight. Haven't noticed a problem yawing or rolling.

Again it may happen 3-4 times in a 10-20 minute video. Sometimes more and sometimes less.

In just about every video I have taken over the past 11 months I get at least one or two burps. It is not the bad jello effect I have seen shown on Youtube of the whole video being shaky.

Temperature does not seem to be the issue, it has been both hot and cold. Brightness (sunny or cloudy) hasn't been an issue as it has happened during both conditions. I would definitely say that strong winds make it worse, but it has happened in mild to no wind conditions. It also happens when flying straight. Haven't noticed a problem yawing or rolling.

Again it may happen 3-4 times in a 10-20 minute video. Sometimes more and sometimes less.
Yeah, check that all rubber shocks are installed and that the gimbal is positioned behind the stop tab. Also make sure you don't have an unbalanced set of props (try a different set).

If it persists beyond that, it's def not normal.

Yeah, check that all rubber shocks are installed and that the gimbal is positioned behind the stop tab. Also make sure you don't have an unbalanced set of props (try a different set).

If it persists beyond that, it's def not normal.

I have looked at other threads and seen other videos. They mention vibration as well as the jello effect.

What is the difference? I could have vibration as well. Would this also be abnormal?

I have looked at other threads and seen other videos. They mention vibration as well as the jello effect.

What is the difference? I could have vibration as well. Would this also be abnormal?
Excessive vibration is what causes jello. Yes that is abnormal.

Add weight (nd filter), this will stop the jello effect. If u don't like taking it off and on get a cheap filter and take out the lens and use the frame for weight.

The jello effect is almost always caused by something touching the gimbal or one of the two cables connected to the gimbal. This prevents the gimbal from hanging freely. Check on the ground by holding the Mavic in various orientations, and look for the gimbal getting to close to the body.

Jello can also be caused by unbalanced props. Swap your props for a different set, or swap front and rear props to see if that is the issue. If the jello gets worse or better when you fly backward, a prop balance issue is more likely.

The gimbal four rubber mounts lose elasticity in the cold, causing jello.

The jello effect is almost always caused by something touching the gimbal or one of the two cables connected to the gimbal. This prevents the gimbal from hanging freely. Check on the ground by holding the Mavic in various orientations, and look for the gimbal getting to close to the body.

Jello can also be caused by unbalanced props. Swap your props for a different set, or swap front and rear props to see if that is the issue. If the jello gets worse or better when you fly backward, a prop balance issue is more likely.

The gimbal four rubber mounts lose elasticity in the cold, causing jello.
I have new DJI props and it happens with both. It is worse in the cold but happens even in good weather. I am sending it in for repairs before my refresh plan ends.

I have new DJI props and it happens with both. It is worse in the cold but happens even in good weather. I am sending it in for repairs before my refresh plan ends.
Don’t blame you. The Mavic is capable of flawless video. Jello is not something you need to tolerate. Sorry for your inconvenience, but at least you have the refresh.

Come back here and post how happy you are, once fixed.

Last edited:
How do you know if you have unbalanced props? Like how do you identify which prop is unbalanced.

I've had the occasional shake since I got my Mavic back when it came out. More frequent when cold which hardens the rubber mounts.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dugan