DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Jerky video in yaw movement

Garatshay

Reactions
I've noticed that, occasionally, even though I'm panning very slowly and I have the gimbal sensitivity set very low, videos sometimes seem jerky or less than smooth. I'm not certain whether the issue is in my computer (a 2019 Apple MBP) or, possibly, the result of using a Micro SD card that's not keeping up (Samsung 128 Gb Micro SDXC UHS-I U3.) The other possibility is that things are just not keeping up in 4K. Anyone else have this experience or have any suggestions...?

Reactions: mr.jipi_
I've noticed that, occasionally, even though I'm panning very slowly and I have the gimbal sensitivity set very low, videos sometimes seem jerky or less than smooth. I'm not certain whether the issue is in my computer (a 2019 Apple MBP) or, possibly, the result of using a Micro SD card that's not keeping up (Samsung 128 Gb Micro SDXC UHS-I U3.) The other possibility is that things are just not keeping up in 4K. Anyone else have this experience or have any suggestions...?

I am also testing for yaw control speed and smoothness, and film results.

-Benchmark your SD-Card speed with a program like CrystalDiskMark. V30 or U3 class is good enough
-Does your playback program have a problem? Check this curent thread out:

I am also testing for yaw control speed and smoothness, and film results.

-Benchmark your SD-Card speed with a program like CrystalDiskMark. V30 or U3 class is good enough
-Does your playback program have a problem? Check this curent thread out:

Thanks - I’m using Quick Time, not VLC, but I understand the issues there. I’m wondering if it could be down to trying to edit differing frame rates in the same video.

Reactions: Inspirephil
Thanks - I’m using Quick Time, not VLC, but I understand the issues there. I’m wondering if it could be down to trying to edit differing frame rates in the same video.

I film in mp4. If you film in mov, in Apple Quicktime, you can change your time indicator (bottom left) to frames. There you can skip 1 frame at a time. This is for kinetik analysis a great tool.
There you can see what the problem can be. Skipped or duplicate frames? Mixed images?
Or is the yaw jerky (doubt it, because that would only happen if the bird is hitting something).
Of course is could be to mixing frame rates. You may be able to tell that by experience with a frame by frame artifact analysis. I film at fixed fps to avoid mixing stuff, and dont change. For technical analysis high frame rates, for cinematic output I stick with 25fps.

Last edited:
I film in mp4. If you film in mov, in Apple Quicktime, you can change your time indicator (bottom left) to frames. There you can skip 1 frame at a time. This is for kinetik analysis a great tool.
There you can see what the problem can be. Skipped or duplicate frames? Mixed images?
Or is the yaw jerky (doubt it, because that would only happen if the bird is hitting something).
Of course is could be to mixing frame rates. You may be able to tell that by experience with a frame by frame artifact analysis. I film at fixed fps to avoid mixing stuff, and dont change. For technical analysis high frame rates, for cinematic output I stick with 25fps.

Thank you - good points and something to try. I have generally used MP4 for convenience. I can run frame by frame in FCPX, so may examine that. Original videos seem OK. I think that frames may be getting messed up in editing. I aim to be consistent with frame rates (at 25) but sometimes fail to check what the Mavic is setting automatically at a particular resolution. Lesson learned - check consistently and burn some battery time to make sure.

Make sure your shutter speed is double the frame rate (or as close as you can get it). That should smooth it out (example 24fps @ 1/50th of a second shutter) you may need to use an ND filter if it'd bright out.

Make sure your shutter speed is double the frame rate (or as close as you can get it). That should smooth it out (example 24fps @ 1/50th of a second shutter) you may need to use an ND filter if it'd bright out.
I appreciate those tips - but I already apply them and use an ND filter most of the time, when it's bright out. Thanks though... it could have been the answer..

I'm very grateful to everyone who offered suggestions. By trial and error, I've determined that, as I had suspected, it was the mix of frame rates (25 and 30) that caused the jitters in some clips (the 30 fps ones) once the FCPX project had selected 25 as the default setting. I always aim to use 25, but the drone over-ruled me (read, owner failed to notice the fps setting before taking off) in this case.

Reactions: Thomas B
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Schmidteh121