DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Jerky video on M2P

My 4K playback on my ASUS PC is also kinda jerky.

I doubled my RAM from 12 to 24GB and I just knew it was going to help but no cigar.

Now I'm wondering if I should upgrade the graphics card or just buy another PC.

Here are a few specs... hopefully something stands out that I can upgrade or replace.

Thanks.

Specs.jpg

NO not unless you need portability. The graphics performance of the 2019 macbook pro compared to the2019 i9 iMac with upgraded VEGA graphics desktop is poor. Macbook is hideously overpriced as well.

I have a late 2013 MB Pro
2.6 GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i7
16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3
NVIDIA GeForce GT 750M 2 GB
I still get occasional jerky video in 265 DLOG M!!

I am upgrading to iMac 2019 3.6 i9 I7 with vega upgrade, I will be adding 128Gb RAM when it arrives. Apple state it can only take 64 but it will take 128.
Vega graphics are new and run cooler, this allows more of the common heatsink for CPU/GPU to be used for the I9 which removes temp throttling on the CPU.
Should be future proof for 5 - 6 years.
I don't disagree for the most part (MBPs are overpriced, even significantly overpriced, but I wouldn't say "hideously" overpriced). I compared specs when I got mine and realized I was spending a few hundred more than a comparably-equipped Windows device, but I've always wanted to try a Mac and you only live once and all that. I've had MS Surfaces, Dells, HPs, and the MBP is far higher quality than any of them other than the MS products, which are only slightly less expensive.

Anyway, that's why I recommended waiting until next year when new models come out and prices come down on the 2019 models. Obviously desktops like the iMac or iMac Pro are going to have higher performance. I'll admit I've been a laptop guy for 25 years so I'm biased though I probably should get a good desktop one of these days. It's just harder to pack up an iMac to take to the beach or mountains to edit videos!

Reactions: 25Vettes
Memory isn't so important for just playback. The graphics card is probably the best place for improvement. Possibly a later generation CPU that has more graphics processing features.

Mid-2015 MBP here. The new ones are just not appealing, not to mention the garbage keyboards and minimal improvement in CPU/GPU performance relative to the cost of business.

15” / 2.5Ghz Core i7 / 16GB RAM / 1TB SSD don’t recall the GPU but nothing special.

I can play H264 and H265 files just fine in VLC or mPlayerX. Never ever had an issue. QuickTime is a different story.

Editing H265 is also impossible on these systems so forget it.

But if your specs are as good as mine, they’re more or less in-line from your screenshot, you shouldn’t have any issues with playback.

Further, I’ve generally moved off my MBP for any and all photo editing and even video editing. My iPad Pro can invest RAW and MOV files directly from a MicroSD adapter into Lightroom, is more convenient, better display and lightning fast (new iPad Pro’s with the A12X actually benchmark faster than 90% of laptops out today).

I’ll color correct in Resolve because nothing better or do some After Effect but when it comes to most preview/review/edit/deliver the combination of iPad Pro + Lunafusion + Lightroom is hard to beat.

Reactions: 25Vettes
Just shot a quick video using a faster card as well as h.264. Like magic, no more jerky video! Very happy that I can use my current MBP for the time being! When I get better at shooting/editing, I will upgrade!

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
scottster03