DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Air 2 John Hancock Center Chicago | Gorgeous 4K

When you really need a wide angle lens ... nice video.

Reactions: spamgnome
I was just having a conversation with Chris Biela over lunch Saturday about doing building fly-overs and the risk of losing a signal on the far side. That narrows it down that you were on the east side of the building. Still, there were a lot of moments that made me a bit twitchy. Good work.

Obvioiusly a great view from way up there!!! From the Drone selfie (window reflection) to going up the antenna to the look around - Nicely done!!! Looks like you got it on a clear, calm day!

I was just having a conversation with Chris Biela over lunch Saturday about doing building fly-overs and the risk of losing a signal on the far side. That narrows it down that you were on the east side of the building. Still, there were a lot of moments that made me a bit twitchy. Good work.
That expresses a desire and opportunity for a 'repeater' drone. One that flies concurrent with the main drone, but establishes a position enroute that optimizes radio reception. Of course, this is fully in disalignment with FAA regs, but, would be a nice to have.

I actually did lose signal briefly a couple of times, but quickly regained it. I had the RTH set at like 1,600 feet, thinking that if it DID do a RTH, it would climb above all those antennas before coming back down.

That expresses a desire and opportunity for a 'repeater' drone. One that flies concurrent with the main drone, but establishes a position enroute that optimizes radio reception. Of course, this is fully in disalignment with FAA regs, but, would be a nice to have.
It's all fun and games until both drones become self-aware!

Obvioiusly a great view from way up there!!! From the Drone selfie (window reflection) to going up the antenna to the look around - Nicely done!!! Looks like you got it on a clear, calm day!
Clear, yes. But still some high wind warnings...and a couple brief signal losses.

I actually did lose signal briefly a couple of times, but quickly regained it. I had the RTH set at like 1,600 feet, thinking that if it DID do a RTH, it would climb above all those antennas before coming back down.
That's actually one of the things Chris was telling me. He lost signal behind a building and it went into RTH which, almost by definition, was through the building. It missed a part of wall by about 6'. Now, he just sets it to hover in situations like that if he loses signal. Figures he will go around the building to re-establish the contact.

BTW, sent him the link (he's based in Chicago) and he said "too high for me! And with those wind gusts?" Figuring how long he's been doing this all over the country, you should be... ummm... proud?... that you have made a veteran twitch.

BTW, sent him the link (he's based in Chicago) and he said "too high for me! And with those wind gusts?" Figuring how long he's been doing this all over the country, you should be... ummm... proud?... that you have made a veteran twitch.
Ha! I'm more nervous now reading all of these comments.

You likely pushed the FAA altitude when you panned back; but FWIW my MA2 recovered from a LOS by flying itself up and over the 2800' obstruction, even with the RTH set at 180. It was a slope, not a wall, and the drone was at 2600', but hey, maybe you'd get lucky?

You likely pushed the FAA altitude when you panned back;
I would disagree... even if he wasn't within 400' of the Hancock, he's less than 400' above some of the other stuff that is in the area.

I would disagree... even if he wasn't within 400' of the Hancock, he's less than 400' above some of the other stuff that is in the area.
Do I dare look at the flight logs? :) You're right, though. I actually thought of that before the flight. If I was pushing the limits, it wasn't by a lot.

• Haha
That's why I said "push" instead or "break" ... but ground level has a very definite definition that is not arguable, as does structure. Whacker Tower is 960' - and 475 feet away from Willis, the roof top of Willis is about 1450'; legally speaking - if a drone is above Whacker at 1450', it is operating outside FAA rules, flying 100' higher than legally allowed, 75' outside the 400' buffer around Willis.

And yeah - I am being pedantic in this post - but I said "pushed the altitude", not "Hey you broke the law!" Nazi style. So thanks to the guy calling me names.

Awesome footage.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Albrecht0803