DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Johnny FPV - check this guy out

mrwagdog

Reactions
Not DJI obviously, but wow, some serious flying (and editing). Here's a couple examples:

Dangerous. There are plenty of drone racing courses available for fun, (s)he should think about that. (S)He also probably brings 4 or 5 drones with him, but he doesnt show his crashes.

Reactions: mrwagdog
Dangerous. There are plenty of drone racing courses available for fun, (s)he should think about that. (S)He also probably brings 4 or 5 drones with him, but he doesnt show his crashes.
Agreed on the danger.

He's a young man - there's a video where he talks for a bit. There is some discussion in the comments about crashes as well.

He's supposedly getting gigs filming sporting events.

Reactions: Former Member
Nothing more dangerous than a newbie flying a DJI for the first time, or any automated drone that requires no flying skill at all ;) This was my hobby after coming from 3D helicopters. It is a blast, and when you crashed, it only took props to be replaced, and of you went. The pilot was in full control of every aspect of the flight. Pure Acro flight at its best :)

Nothing more dangerous than a newbie flying a DJI for the first time, or any automated drone that requires no flying skill at all ;) This was my hobby after coming from 3D helicopters. It is a blast, and when you crashed, it only took props to be replaced, and of you went. The pilot was in full control of every aspect of the flight. Pure Acro flight at its best :)

It's one thing to fly 3d at a sanctioned RC field, with insurance, and people know what to expect and keep their eyes open. To condone this kind of irresponsible flying is just wrong, and takes away from all the safety precautions all the rest of us must abide by. Great to post it on Youtube for oohs and ahhs. Flying like that doesnt thrill me, unless its in a drone race in a controlled environment.

EDIT: Im sorry if my reply comes off high and mighty, but I have come very close in 3d events when people are in control right up until the time they nearly hit the crowd and crash. Other times people are doing things they shouldnt and almost get me killed. I teach people to fly every weekend, I would never teach someone to fly like that and if I saw someone flying like that, I would stop him.

Last edited:
Reactions: superdave5050
No problem Thunder, i understand where you are coming from. I also are against people flying dangerously, and there are a lot. As with everything in life, cars, boats, skydiving, racing, ect. This video looks safe to me, compared to the idiots that go in between people when flying. There is a risk with whatever we do, even just by walking out your front door.

****, his racing drone videos are more stable than mine with mavic’s gimbal.. Image quality is also better lol..

I hope the sports players are wearing protective gear :rolleyes:
I'd say that's probably the case...

I do get where you're coming from. He's in control, 'til he's not. Several of his videos are shot at what appears to be an empty park.

Reactions: Hauptmann
So, setting aside the crazy dangerous aspect of his flying, I'm fascinated by the tumbling effect in those first two videos. I have no experience with that type of shooting. Is he actually flipping and tumbling the aircraft itself or is this some kind of trick pulled off with the gimbal and camera? If he's actually flipping and tumbling the aircraft, it seems like it'd be totally out of control for a lot of the time as it falls.

So, setting aside the crazy dangerous aspect of his flying, I'm fascinated by the tumbling effect in those first two videos. I have no experience with that type of shooting. Is he actually flipping and tumbling the aircraft itself or is this some kind of trick pulled off with the gimbal and camera? If he's actually flipping and tumbling the aircraft, it seems like it'd be totally out of control for a lot of the time as it falls.
He is doing everything with the quad, it is called acro mode. You have to control everything, there is no such thing as leaving the sticks, and it just stays there. The input you give, the craft will keep on doing that, untill you counter that move.

He is doing everything with the quad, it is called acro mode. You have to control everything, there is no such thing as leaving the sticks, and it just stays there. The input you give, the craft will keep on doing that, untill you counter that move.

Ah. Thanks! I really like how flying that way looks in the video. I bet learning to do it would break my brain though. :)

My understanding is that is straight footage from the quad and that is a straight fpv cam (no gimbal? I don't know much about fpv/racing style quads).

He talks about what he does in one of his videos. He said he's starting to use stabilization in post for some of the commercial shoots but that he's generally against it. In some of the YouTube comments he mentions that he does crash.

It looks like he's flying dangerously and flying in areas where an accident could get someone hurt - that part I don't like at all.

-but-

What I do like is that he is clearly pushing the envelope with his flying and filmmaking and taking that style of flying to a new and uncharted level. All great art features people who push the envelope in new directions and I think we're seeing the infancy of it it here.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
da4o98