DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

July 25 it is..

Well? Out of curiosity, I pulled out my DJI RC and RC-Pro to see if there are any updates today in regards to the Air 3 release. No update at all for the DJI RC but the RC-Pro had a Fly update and a FW update. The Fly update said adds support for the Air 3 so I thought COOL! But nope, the Air3 is not in the connection list and is not supported by the DJI RC or the RC-Pro.
Well that’s a real let down. I was hoping the RC Pro would work with the Air 3.

Well that’s a real let down. I was hoping the RC Pro would work with the Air 3.
As was I. So my guess is none of the Goggles or motion controllers will work with the Air 3 either. That puts it out of the running for an addition to my fleet. Odd move by DJI.

Well? Out of curiosity, I pulled out my DJI RC and RC-Pro to see if there are any updates today in regards to the Air 3 release. No update at all for the DJI RC but the RC-Pro had a Fly update and a FW update. The Fly update said adds support for the Air 3 so I thought COOL! But nope, the Air3 is not in the connection list and is not supported by the DJI RC or the RC-Pro.
I find it hard to believe that DJI would not add support for the new Air 3 to their premium controller (RC Pro). When I started my RC Pro today it said it was updating to add support for the Air 3. The Air 3 still does not appear in the connection list but I am confident that will change in the near future. Restricting the Air 3 to the new RC 2 and RC-N2 seems like a backward and limiting move to me.

Chris

I find it hard to believe that DJI would not add support for the new Air 3 to their premium controller (RC Pro). When I started my RC Pro today it said it was updating to add support for the Air 3. The Air 3 still does not appear in the connection list but I am confident that will change in the near future. Restricting the Air 3 to the new RC 2 and RC-N2 seems like a backward and limiting move to me.

Chris
I agree, searching the DJI store, the DJI RC 2 is available for puchase separately for the same price as the DJI RC, the DJI RC N2 is not available yet, but the DJI RC 2 compatibility is Air 3 only, so it can't even be used with any other aircraft. Seems the O4 transmission protocol is completely different and not backwards compatible at all. What was wrong with O3 and O3+??? I've never had issues. Why did DJI need to improve it and completely isolate the new Air 3 from all other controllers? O4 would be fine for Enterprise or Matrice or Inspire models but did we need it added to the Air line???

Chris
Did the RC Pro say it was updating to add support for the Air 3 or did the Fly App on the RC Pro say it was updating to add support for the Air 3?

Reactions: Torque
Did the RC Pro say it was updating to add support for the Air 3 or did the Fly App on the RC Pro say it was updating to add support for the Air 3?
The fly app said that, the FW update added support for enhanced screen visibility. Oddly the fly app did not update on the DJI RC (non pro) and is a different version than my RC-PRO.

The fly app said that, the FW update added support for enhanced screen visibility. Oddly the fly app did not update on the DJI RC (non pro) and is a different version than my RC-PRO.
Ok, the Fly App added support for the Air 3, but the RC Pro didn't add support for the Air 3, correct?

Ok, the Fly App added support for the Air 3, but the RC Pro didn't add support for the Air 3, correct?
Correct, the air 3 does not show up in the connection list on my RC-PRO, it does show up in the connection list (now that it updated) in the DJI Fly I have installed on my tablet.

Give them time. It took weeks before the Mini 3 Pro was added to the RC Pro for example.

You already knew what the sensors sizes would be before it was released.
I knew is most probable that they would be the same sensor size as the M3P but until official release date and details from DJI state it on the buy page I always try to remain slightly skeptical.

My thoughts here on this release is this: DJI is drawing the line at the Air series and the new controllers that come with it as a way to signal that every drone from here on out will be O4. Mavic 4? O4 with the RC2. Air 3S? 1 inch sensor with O4 and the new controllers. mini 4/pro? Same deal. Someone posted a video about the chipsets S1 and P1 being the cause of why certain controllers could only be used with certain drones. It would be cool if someone on YouTube tore this new one down and found out what new chipset this drone/ controller uses and maybe we can expect the future drones to use the same.

As was I. So my guess is none of the Goggles or motion controllers will work with the Air 3 either. That puts it out of the running for an addition to my fleet. Odd move by DJI.

Patience guys.

It's rare for a new drone to be released by DJI to be fully integrated into the entire DJI ecosystem from release. The ROI on the engineering changes necessary to support a new drone on older controllers is probably a small loss. The number of existing customers buying an A3 to use with the Pro RC is tiny in the overall A3 sales. The big earnings come from selling new, complete kits. So they finish that work first, get it out there, and start making money asap.

Patience guys.

It's rare for a new drone to be released by DJI to be fully integrated into the entire DJI ecosystem from release. The ROI on the engineering changes necessary to support a new drone on older controllers is probably a small loss. The number of existing customers buying an A3 to use with the Pro RC is tiny in the overall A3 sales. The big earnings come from selling new, complete kits. So they finish that work first, get it out there, and start making money asap.
Agreed, it's launch day and launches are all about selling kits not pieces and parts to facilitate the ecosystem (not yet at least). Maybe there is an RCPro2 on the horizon and Air 3 kit #4 is on the cusp.....

Air 3 has waypoints. :)
WHOAH! Reference? That could tip me in favor of the A3 over the M3Pro, which I'm waiting for drone-only to be made available.

IF the A3 has fully autonomous, continue-mission-on-disconnect WP functionality, I'm right on the edge of abandoning the M3Pro entirely, going for the A3, and upgrading the DJI RC in the process.

Looks like I can get $150-200 on eBay for the DJI RC on eBay... So, net net I'm looking at around U$1,400 for the A3 DJI RC2 FMC, less than a M3 Standard drone-only.

Gawd, @mavic3usa, I so hope you're right!!!

Some of you may have known this already, it was news to me:

Screenshot_20230725_094812_Chrome.jpg

That's fantastic news!!! Assuming the 3x sensor is the same Omnivision sensor that's being used for the main, wide-angle camera. This means no image quality, sensitivity, etc. sacrifice using the 3x telephoto.

This thin is getting more and more tempting. Confirmation of autonomous waypoint functionality, and I think I'll skip the Mavic 3 instead of the Air 3, my plans prior to this release.

WHOAH! Reference? That could tip me in favor of the A3 over the M3Pro, which I'm waiting for drone-only to be made available.

IF the A3 has fully autonomous, continue-mission-on-disconnect WP functionality, I'm right on the edge of abandoning the M3Pro entirely, going for the A3, and upgrading the DJI RC in the process.

Looks like I can get $150-200 on eBay for the DJI RC on eBay... So, net net I'm looking at around U$1,400 for the A3 DJI RC2 FMC, less than a M3 Standard drone-only.

Gawd, @mavic3usa, I so hope you're right!!!
Sorry half asleep when I was going thru the top 10 YT reviewers early this morning; honestly only remember seeing a couple of guys point it out. Should be easy to verify tho....does Air 3 have waypoints or not, I think so.

Sorry half asleep when I was going thru the top 10 YT reviewers early this morning; honestly only remember seeing a couple of guys point it out. Should be easy to verify tho....does Air 3 have waypoints or not, I think so.
No sweat. If you can find it again, please share... I couldn't fine anything with a brief googling.

Capture.PNG
A bit short on details but it sounds promising:

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
karajovic