DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

june 16 2022 firmware update warning

akdrone

Premium Pilot
Reactions
The update was something over 1000mb for me and although I have a good net connection my Mini3 shut down part way through. Luckily I noticed it and put a fan on it and turned it back on. I don't know what would happen if you walked away and the download proceeded without the mini3 turned on but I'm sure it's not a great idea. So...consider getting a fan on your mini3 before long updates.

1000mb ?
I believe mine was about 230 or 250mb for the drone (but I might be mistaken).
It was about 800mb for the remote though.

As the update was small I had no problem updating the M3P before it gets too hot (and I have a crappy internet connection).

Last edited:
Reactions: Garrywhyte
1000mb ?
I believe mine was about 230 or 250mb for the drone (but I might be mistaken).
I was about 800mb for the remote though.

As the update was small I had no problem updating the M3P before it gets too hot (and I have a crappy internet connection).
same here, drove had a smaller one compared to the RC which was huge.

The update was something over 1000mb for me and although I have a good net connection my Mini3 shut down part way through. Luckily I noticed it and put a fan on it and turned it back on. I don't know what would happen if you walked away and the download proceeded without the mini3 turned on but I'm sure it's not a great idea. So...consider getting a fan on your mini3 before long updates.
The update was mostly for rc and ac was shut down on purpose during update. No mistake or bug.

Reactions: KLRSKIR and JTZ
So...consider getting a fan on your mini3 before long updates.
This is a good advice anyway, a small, cheap USB powered fan will do the trick and helps also depleting your battery if you need to. That's how I've been doing it for quite a while (if the other powerbanks are already charged).

Last edited:
Reactions: Papa Beach
This drone does heat up. I updated to the latest ugrade last night. The drone did shut down along the way and didn't start back up (like they usually do). But everything seems to be working ok on mine after the upgrade. I did some limited great room flights to check functionality. Hopefully, the shut down was a predisposed one in the upgrade and not a heat shut down. I think it was. I left the drone on in my living room for awhile and it was pretty hot when I finally picked it up.

So far it has been a nice little drone.

I agree this m3 gets WAY TOO HOT!
I also bought a fan just for that reason.

Reactions: Darson
I have mine sit on my laptop cooling pad, works a treat.

The mini 3 pro only really overheats if it is in camera mode (displaying / transmitting) the image signal and sitting still on the ground. During updates, even long ones, it doesn't do this and uses much less CPU power and does not overheat, you can do updates for 1+ hour without issue by design. I'm not sure if the original poster simply noticed a planned reboot in progress during his update (it is supposed to do this, including multiple times sometimes) or if his drone has an issue, but you should NOT have to use a fan to do updates on the ground. If you leave your drone on the ground transmitting an image you will overheat.

The mini 3 pro only really overheats if it is in camera mode (displaying / transmitting) the image signal and sitting still on the ground. During updates, even long ones, it doesn't do this and uses much less CPU power and does not overheat, you can do updates for 1+ hour without issue by design. I'm not sure if the original poster simply noticed a planned reboot in progress during his update (it is supposed to do this, including multiple times sometimes) or if his drone has an issue, but you should NOT have to use a fan to do updates on the ground. If you leave your drone on the ground transmitting an image you will overheat.
thanks for this information and for correcting my assumption. I guess now it's time to say, "never mind...". :)

Great observation.

But that requires that you get, and use, an update prompt before opening the camera view in the app. Going from the camera view to the menu, the about tab, and the update link seems to lead to an overheating issue. When I updated, there was no prompt when I started the app and I used the link on the about tab. The drone shut down and I had to start over.

Mine got toasty when not in that mode, showing the progress circle in the FW cycle. Surely the camera is not online when in another controller view mode?

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
peehead