DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Just crashed my MP...

Maybe a suggestion for DJI in the next firmware upgrade. When RTH is triggered and rising to RTH altitude is about to happen, wait 5s and let RC beep first. Gives pilots time to react and cancel if needed.

Reactions: Drgnfli
I have had the RTH activate before and always had a delay and alerted that it it was about to RTH. Drone went hard right and up at the same time really fast. If it had gone straight up, it would have been fine as there was nothing directly overhead.

That makes sense now. I forgot I had moved over from the original takeoff point that far. It never alerted that it was going to RTH as I would have turned it off and continued to land.

It didn’t alert you to RTH? My controller beeps like crazy.

Nope. Brand new unit I bought off the shelf at best buy.

****. You need to get the box - wrap it all special like - (maybe put some stones in it for weight) - and hand that poor excuse for an autonomous drone back to BB. Get your $$ back.

Reactions: drw52jc
Did an online chat with DJI tech support. They got it all arranged to send it back. They are sending me shopping labels to send it back. Sent me an email confirming with all of the instructions on how to pack it up to ship, and what/what not to send. Guy said based on info this far it appears to be under warranty.

Will keep y'all updated as the process continues.

Did an online chat with DJI tech support. They got it all arranged to send it back. They are sending me shopping labels to send it back. Sent me an email confirming with all of the instructions on how to pack it up to ship, and what/what not to send. Guy said based on info this far it appears to be under warranty.

Will keep y'all updated as the process continues.

Good to hear.

That makes sense now. I forgot I had moved over from the original takeoff point that far. It never alerted that it was going to RTH as I would have turned it off and continued to land.
Pilot error, the cause of >90% of all accidents. Sorry to hear of your loss however, RTH has resulted in so many similar incidents. I’ve owned 5 DJI Quads, Phantoms, Inspire and a couple of Mavics, have flown >2500 miles with the only incident being my fault, in which I ran out of battery power after beng warned to return home, thinking I could out smart it and travel just a few moments longer. Ended up losing a Mavic in a lake, 1500ft short of its home point, after nearly completing an 8 mile run with a strong headwind on its return. Packed up my leftover gear, went home and ordered a new one.

My initial questions/searches when I first got mine were around the RTH functionality. Now I find that I RTH manually ( and prefer it )

RTH function does not make a craft bank hard right and up at same time. It went in the opposite direction of the home point. If it was RTH it should have gone straight up, then to home point. If it had done this, there would have been no issue. My RTH is set at 60m which easily clears anything in this area. Have used it many times before at this same point with no issues.

RTH function does not make a craft bank hard right and up at same time. It went in the opposite direction of the home point. If it was RTH it should have gone straight up, then to home point. If it had done this, there would have been no issue. My RTH is set at 60m which easily clears anything in this area. Have used it many times before at this same point with no issues.

At 999 seconds into the flight the telemetry indicates that the aircraft was at 3.7 m above the homepoint elevation (black trace), 21 m SSE of the homepoint (orange trace), facing SW (blue trace), and at 19% battery. As a result it initiated RTH (it was more than 20 m from the homepoint) and began to ascend vertically to the preset RTH altitude. It would have ascended vertically had you not, one second later, at 1000.1 seconds, for some reason applied full backwards elevator (dashed red), causing it to move NE as shown by the red and green traces (opposite to the direction it was facing). At 1000.7 seconds you added positive aileron (dashed green), at 1001.3, full down throttle (dashed black), and at 1001.5 seconds, CCW rudder (dashed blue). Some or all of those may have been attempted corrections or evasive maneuvers to counter the NE motion caused by the continued full backwards elevator, but they were not going to help.

2018-07-09_[18-15-51].png

So, as far as I can see the aircraft behaved exactly as programmed and instructed.

At 999 seconds into the flight the telemetry indicates that the aircraft was at 3.7 m above the homepoint elevation (black trace), 21 m SSE of the homepoint (orange trace), facing SW (blue trace), and at 19% battery. As a result it initiated RTH (it was more than 20 m from the homepoint) and began to ascend vertically to the preset RTH altitude. It would have ascended vertically had you not, one second later, at 1000.1 seconds, for some reason applied full backwards elevator (dashed red), causing it to move NE as shown by the red and green traces (opposite to the direction it was facing). At 1000.7 seconds you added positive aileron (dashed green), at 1001.3, full down throttle (dashed black), and at 1001.5 seconds, CCW rudder (dashed blue). Some or all of those may have been attempted corrections or evasive maneuvers to counter the NE motion caused by the continued full backwards elevator, but they were not going to help.

View attachment 41847

So, as far as I can see the aircraft behaved exactly as programmed and instructed.
Thanks for looking at this. Any ideas on why it never signaled that is was engaging RTH? I was less than 3 feet from landing. I was bringing it down and it took off without warning.

Thanks for looking at this. Any ideas on why it never signaled that is was engaging RTH? I was less than 3 feet from landing. I was bringing it down and it took off without warning.

It posted the message at 16' 39":

"Low power. Returning home".​

Ten seconds prior to that it had issued the warning:

"Warning. The remaining battery is only enough for RTH. Return home now".​

Since it was more than 20 m from the home point, it attempted to return to it. It's not relevant that you were trying to land it at the time - it was in the air and so it followed its programmed RTH protocol to ascend to the RTH altitude and then return home.

Shipped my drone out on Friday morning. Label that DJI sent was ups ground. Doesn't arrive at their repair facility in texas until Thursday. Full week just to ship....

Had my MP about a month. Has worked great with no issues until tonight. Was bringing it in for a landing, and all of the sudden it took off like a bat out of **** and went up and to the right directly into a tree. Landed it in the same spot multiple times with no issue. What the crap happened???? Tore the gimbal off so repairs are necessary.
Anyone tips on dealing with DJI refresh?

When I first started flying, I had a similar incident. What is the altitude you have set for RTH? In my case, I was just a few feet off the ground and within feet of me. Because I was so close, I wasn’t worried about battery level. What I missed being brand new is that when the battery hit too low, RTH automatically initiated and my bird went straight up into the tree canopy (Had the altitude set at 40 meters).

So, is it possible this is what happened to you? RTH will cause your bird to fly up to the altitude you have set. If it’s higher than your set point, it will maintain that height until over the landing spot.
This is exactly what had happened to me as well soon after I bought my drone. I was manually landing my MavicPro. It was a few feet from landing when suddenly it went up and flew two feet and then landed. Lucky for me it just missed the tree as it was ascending.

Had my MP about a month. Has worked great with no issues until tonight. Was bringing it in for a landing, and all of the sudden it took off like a bat out of **** and went up and to the right directly into a tree. Landed it in the same spot multiple times with no issue. What the crap happened???? Tore the gimbal off so repairs are necessary.
Anyone tips on dealing with DJI refresh?
Mine did the same thing dji viewed logs and didn't cover it.. cost me $200. My repair shop was in texas took 2 weeks.. should be arriving by ups today

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
swigmofa