DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Just grabbed a costco mini 2 bundle out of the box update everything or

I updated my DJI Fly App to Android Version 1.6.1 last night and took my Mini 2 out today and ran 3-batteries through her… Flew more than 1-hour, upwards of 8-kilometers, and shot video and photos, all without a hitch.

She worked perfectly!

I updated my DJI Fly App to Android Version 1.6.1 last night and took my Mini 2 out today and ran 3-batteries through her… Flew more than 1-hour, upwards of 8-kilometers, and shot video and photos, all without a hitch.

She worked perfectly!
Follow up, last posting was Saturday, today it's Tuesday and I just got a new update 1.6.4, I have not flown with it yet...

I was referring to the software that disables DJIs NFZs
That is probably "Dark Web" software, that I would not trust, but hey, it's your drone... This software would probably also void any DJI Warranty. Good Luck, you'll need it...

That is probably "Dark Web" software, that I would not trust, but hey, it's your drone... This software would probably also void any DJI Warranty. Good Luck, you'll need it...
Drone-Hacks and NLD are well known products and are definitely not from the “dark web”. And no, they do not breach warranty.

None of this is based on fact nor reality and the contrary has been well documented here and on several forums. I have DH software running on my entire fleet (as do numerous others) and have not encountered any issues.

I went to their website, some interesting stuff there, but it's not for me...

What other capabilities are you talking about that's "for you"?

I was a computer programmer, with training in computer security, during my 30-plus years in the US Air Force and I have an inherent distrust of any software that attempts to bypass a manufacturers software and firmware… I am in the USA and we are already being cautioned that the DJI Drones might be reporting back to "Mother Country" with our GPS coordinates, and possibly even our imagery. Which is why in 2020, the company was added to the Commerce Department's Entity List, restricting its access to U.S. components. The Defense Department clarified last year that its 2017 ban on the purchase of DJI drones remains in place except under very limited circumstances.

As for me, I am retired now and my drone flying (DJI Mini 2) is no threat to the US unless the Commerce Department thinks an enemy state will use my imagery to attack a local municipal park.

Back on point, over the years, when even our computers (actually the governments computers…) acted up, it was always the "other guy's hardware/software/firmware" that caused it and troubleshooting it was always a nightmare.

If you search my user name "LoudThunder", you'll see I've posted many threads concerning a test of some issue or matter, such as the RTH--when it works and when it will not…, setting Max distance and height to very low numbers and seeing if the drone actually stays within the confines of the settings.

Just the other day, a topic came up with a member claiming that the RTH button was an "Emergency Stop" button… Read my response, it isn't…

Finally, since I am a recreational flyer, I fly for fun and I do not have to worry about being on a time schedule to get photos or video for a business. I imagine in your case (I'm guessing) that it is a business for you and any delay, due to some hang up with the GeoFencing could mean the difference of getting job or not…

Good Luck with that software…

Reactions: eva2000
its always interesting when people say, don't do this update or that update, because I saw this or that.. then in some, if not all cases, someone else comes along and say, they never had a problem.. works fine for me.. and thats followed up by other people saying the same.

The question then becomes of course, who's right? It's hard, if not impossible to install the firmware or software wrong, since the install probably does some check to make sure it installed correctly or it would fail. So why do some people see issues and others do not, guess that maybe one of the mysteries of Drone life...

This is a very interesting question and one I’ve come to think about a lot in my line of work. I work as an IT engineer for a very well known computer company and I’ve encountered many cases of people who claim that X update broke Y thing on their device.

While there are indeed occasions where an update introduced a bug, these were known to us internally and the company would very quickly issue a small update to fix said problem.

In the case of DJI I think the reason why some people complain and some others don’t has more to do with how they are measuring said changes.
As you rightly said since all Mini 2s are created identical using the same chips and software, then barring the odd lemons they all should behave equally identically when updated.

The problem arises from the fact that the brain is hardwired to try and find patterns. Let me explain.

Let’s say that one never updated the drone FW. If they fly 2 identical routes and on the 2nd the drone disconnects half way compared to the 1st they might put it down to external factors, like interference etc. Since the FW is not updated, they cannot put the blame on that.
However, if they update the FW after the 1st flight and see that the drone disconnects half way they will immediately put the blame on the FW even if the real issue was something else. So unless someone conducts a before/after range test in a strictly controlled environment using a proper scientific methodology then to simply say that a new FW broke the previously working drone is not right.

Again, I am not saying that new updates don’t introduce bugs; they do and companies are mostly aware and fix them in short order. I am only saying that with so many external factors affecting the operation of a drone, to always put the blame on an update is not right.

For me, the only very valid reason for not upgrading to 1.04 on the M2 is the inability to use Dronehacks as previous members said. I would feel a lot better knowing that I have control of the aircraft at all times rather than having to trust DJIs sometimes buggy no fly zones etc.

Last edited:
My Mini 2 is 5 days old and started out of the box with firmware update to 1.0.5 and Fly app 1.6.6 but did not know they locked out hacks in this version. Still looking at firmware change logs and the fixes they add, I'm happy to update.

Being an old computer hardware/overclocker back in the day, I remember when enthusiasts motherboards had dual bioses so you could flash and switch between 2 versions as a fall back. Maybe, DJI needs something like that? 😁

Last edited:
Reactions: LoudThunder
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tflys78