DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Just how dangerous is a Drone

Status
Not open for further replies.
What is going on in the second video, looks like a small piece of metal is hitting the crash dummy's head? Why is this relevant and what am I missing lol?

So I just saw a post that really got a good bit of smoke coming out of my ears,
It was along the lines of how could a little 1.5/ 2 pound drone be dangerous
Here is a great little calculater that can help you find out just how hard your drone can impact an object
ENERGY CALCULATOR
Select the energy button then on the right side of the entry fields you can select the unit type.
To give you a reference point a baseball traveling at 95 MPH will impact an object at about 80 foot pounds of energy,
A 2 pound drone traveling at 30mph will impact an object with 60 foot pounds of energy keep in mind a baseball doesn't have sharp edges, extended legs, whirling props and so on. And that is controlled flight.
What about free fall terminal velocity is 122 MPH now I'm not saying the drone will reach those speeds at a free fall (dead stick) but let's say it can reach 75 mph on a dead stick free fall that means it will impact with over 350 foot pounds of energy (378 fpe)
A 357 caliber pistol shooting a 200 grain slug at 900fps produces 350 foot pounds of energy
Please I beg you NEVER underestimate the power and danger of these devices

Is that African or European?

Reactions: Mitchell99
A study was made of the dangers of a falling drone by the Uni of Alabama. See Head injury from a falling drone? Crash test study suggests chances are slim. It found the the chances of head injury if struck were very low. From the website ... "The research found that drones fall more slowly than wood or metal of the same mass due to the aerodynamic drag, and therefore cause less damage. What's more, a drone is more forgiving and will flex more on impact, therefore transferring less energy in the process."

A study was made of the dangers of a falling drone by the Uni of Alabama. See Head injury from a falling drone? Crash test study suggests chances are slim. It found the the chances of head injury if struck were very low. From the website ... "The research found that drones fall more slowly than wood or metal of the same mass due to the aerodynamic drag, and therefore cause less damage. What's more, a drone is more forgiving and will flex more on impact, therefore transferring less energy in the process."
Great post and great addition to the discussion and reality in general lol. Hopefully this information will help relax the fear crazed drone death and destruction squad! Lets face it they haven't really had much to shout about. Drones are very safe people. Trust your common sense and not the media and certainly not those that live and die by what the media print.

Impact vs no noticeable impact the way I see it
Yeah you're dead right, its to show a positive next to a negative kind of thing. Its crazy how much the neck is compressed by the piece of metal and how little compression and movement from the drone impact. You can see by how the drone bounces back up that it has somehow kept a lot of its energy by bending on impact which ties in very well with what the University of Alabama study found.

Another place besides a falling Mavic Pro that can cause injury is hand catching.

Early on in my time with my bird it did not land. Instead of waiting for the battery to discharge forcing a landing or landing somewhere else I tried a hand catch. The props got 3 fingers with cuts... actually cut the tip of one finger off, fortunately distant to the nail and not deep as the bone. Still, they took about a month to heal. ....... So be smart when you land.

BTW I was in beginner mode and had used RTH. The bird came home but refused to land. No problems since then, but the point is to be aware that these drones have much more power than the small inexpensive ones of a couple of years ago.

Reactions: Former Member
You are forgetting a major point in your comparison of a drone to a .357 bullet.... and that is the amount of surface area that the force will be spread upon. I'm not arguing that a free falling drone wouldn't cause energy, but your comparison is misleading.

A study has been done, and I have discussed this in depth with the engineer leading the study. @duhs10 is exactly correct, and that is where it has been determined that a Mavic falling straight on top of someones head at terminal velocity is non lethal. This is due to the wide surface area of the bottom heat sink, and it will create at worst a concussion, and very rarely a skull fracture, but no lethality.

The most damage that can be done to a human would be a frontal head strike at 50mph, but will still not lead to death. Check out the following thread from October 2018

Getting hit on the head by a falling Mavic? Guess which is the best and worst way.

Reactions: Point Zero
Everything that goes up in the air has the potential to fall back to the ground if something goes wrong, drones included. Yes, if a drone dropped from 400ft straight onto my melon, I wouldn't be too happy about that!

The reality is, since drones as we know them have been around, there has not been one single death or even life threatening injury caused by a drone. Millions of flights, no deaths. That's a pretty impressive safety record in my book.

So I just saw a post that really got a good bit of smoke coming out of my ears,
It was along the lines of how could a little 1.5/ 2 pound drone be dangerous
Here is a great little calculater that can help you find out just how hard your drone can impact an object
ENERGY CALCULATOR
Select the energy button then on the right side of the entry fields you can select the unit type.
To give you a reference point a baseball traveling at 95 MPH will impact an object at about 80 foot pounds of energy,
A 2 pound drone traveling at 30mph will impact an object with 60 foot pounds of energy keep in mind a baseball doesn't have sharp edges, extended legs, whirling props and so on. And that is controlled flight.
What about free fall terminal velocity is 122 MPH now I'm not saying the drone will reach those speeds at a free fall (dead stick) but let's say it can reach 75 mph on a dead stick free fall that means it will impact with over 350 foot pounds of energy (378 fpe)
A 357 caliber pistol shooting a 200 grain slug at 900fps produces 350 foot pounds of energy

I am the drone operator for a SWAT Team. I am presenting drones 101 at our next training. I’ve been working on the presentation and trying to instill that these are not mere children’s toys. We have to take the potential dangers seriously.
Your post is an excellent point. Great job of adding some real world concepts in a way that makes a solid point!
Thank you, well done

Since it was reported early on that M2P batteries were falling out of the sky like rain a study needs to be done on them. At 10.4 ounces and more aerodynamic I am sure the results would be different. And then of course I would like to know the odds of someone ever being hit in the head with one...

Reactions: Former Member
I realize this has turned into hypotheticals and technical talk, but here an anecdotal story that happened to me.
I sent my P3A up 200 ft and was just heading out, when all of a sudden it actually flipped and powered into a neighbor's roof upside down. There was no damage to the landing gear, but everything else was destroyed. I found parts all around his house. The neighbor came running out thinking a bomb went off. A concrete roof tile had to be replaced at the point of impact. Let's just say there could have been worse outcomes. This forum diagnosed it from my logs as possible ESC error.

Since it was reported early on that M2P batteries were falling out of the sky like rain a study needs to be done on them. At 10.4 ounces and more aerodynamic I am sure the results would be different. And then of course I would like to know the odds of someone ever being hit in the head with one...
I have seen on numerous occasion's as a bystander, pilots aiming directly at themselves when returning the drone to home. I think the odds of a drone strike hitting the PIC are higher than it hitting anyone else.

Reactions: old man mavic
This what we need to see true data and not just theory.
When properly used with the correct level of caution I am 100% secure of the safety of these platforms.
A reply was made about DJI commitment to safe machines and I will be the first on the line to agree that they have made huge strides in making these drones safe and easy to fly just about anywhere.
It's that ease to fly that can be a double edged sword simply due to the fact that with little to no coaching they can be purchased and flown by anyone.
R/C planes are different it takes a lot of practice and coaching from others not to mention you need some space which usually pushes the new flyer to a RC field as a result the safe operation gets pushed. I am eager to see what kind of new tech will be coming as to emergency flight and dead stick recovery systems will be made available.
Already parachute systems are being tested and I actually think a helium pack would be a great system. A simple square pack that attaches to the drone I think it is a better option than parachute because orientation on deployment isn't as crucial isn't as a chute

Last edited:
Reactions: deleted member 877
You are a lot more likely to get killed by a car or another large land vehicle than by a falling drone.
True it's also true in the case of flying on a commercial airlines but car wrecks don't make national news! Plane crashes does even small private planes. It is a headline grabber
I can almost guarantee you that if some butthead crashed his drone in some square or beach filled with people and even if the maximum injury was small cuts and bruises you will see a headline in at least one national paper similar to this.
"Drone cashes into ******square injuring 4"
If the strike was in the head of any of those people include "one person hospitalized" ........... Not because that individual was definitely seriously injured but because in the case of any head trauma paramedics are to advise and treat as a potential serious injury.

This what we need to see true data and not just theory.
When properly used with the correct level of caution I am 100% secure of the safety of these platforms.
A reply was made about DJI commitment to safe machines and I will be the first on the line to agree that they have made huge strides in making these drones safe and easy to fly just about anywhere.
It's that ease to fly that can be a double edged sword simply due to the fact that with little to no coaching they can be purchased and flown by anyone.
R/C planes are different it takes a lot of practice and coaching from others not to mention you need some space which usually pushes the new flyer to a RC field as a result the safe operation gets pushed. I am eager to see what kind of new tech will be coming as to emergency flight and dead stick recovery systems will be made available.
Already parachute systems are being tested and I actually think a helium pack would be a great system. A simple square pack that attaches to the drone I think it is a better option than parachute because orientation on deployment isn't as crucial isn't as a chute

Excellent post - many thanks ! The helium pack is a great idea I reckon.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Allen25