DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Just how dangerous is a Drone

Status
Not open for further replies.
That's fascinating, but how is it relevant to the discussion?
My point is that the 'victim' of the incident in Seattle more than likely exaggerated her injuries, in hopes of winning a nice fat civil law suit. And, now that the pilot has been found guilty in a criminal case, she'll win, a lot, with ease.

My point is that the 'victim' of the incident in Seattle more than likely exaggerated her injuries, in hopes of winning a nice fat civil law suit. And, now that the pilot has been found guilty in a criminal case, she'll win, a lot, with ease.

Sure - but EMS responded and treated an initially unresponsive patient. Are you arguing that she faked the injury? If so you have no basis for that assertion - your desire to maintain the argument that an sUAS cannot cause a serious head injury doesn't work without some evidence.

Sure - but EMS responded and treated an initially unresponsive patient. Are you arguing that she faked the injury? If so you have no basis for that assertion - your desire to maintain the argument that an sUAS cannot cause a serious head injury doesn't work without some evidence.

After working as a paramedic on an aerial medical-rescue team for 6 years, I've seen pretty much everything. From the worst trauma to the stupidest medical, including all manner of exaggeration for insurance or liability claims. I may be rather skeptic. But, with good reason. No one substantiates claims of non-injury. There's nothing to be gained from it. Evidence of non-fatal incidents are simply non-quantifiable. Evidence of truly injurious incidents are completely subjective to scrutiny.

After working as a paramedic on an aerial medical-rescue team for 6 years, I've seen pretty much everything. From the worst trauma to the stupidest medical, including all manner of exaggeration for insurance or liability claims. I may be rather skeptic. But, with good reason. No one substantiates claims of non-injury. There's nothing to be gained from it. Evidence of non-fatal incidents are simply non-quantifiable. Evidence of truly injurious incidents are completely subjective to scrutiny.

I think your skepticism is unreasonable in this case. The subject was hit on the head by a drone and reported to have been unresponsive. That's not a condition cooked up after the event to support a lawsuit, or are you suggesting that she had the presence of mind immediately to fake that condition to further a claim? And if you are suggesting that, then you have absolutely no evidence to support the assertion.

Reactions: JDawg
So, your friend was trying to hand catch a drone, while on a moving boat, rolling on swells. It sounds like your friend was really playing Russian Roulette with too many bullets in the gun. He had really stacked the odds against himself.
He lives on the boat, is the captain and it is his livelihood and he had a lot of practice doing this maneuver. I am sure he has adjusted technique since the incident. Not something I recommend for a day tripping dronie. Drones are flying lawnmowers.

You missed the most important thing. The stupidity of humans. These things don't freefall at 122mph. Absolute rubbish.

All of us, can understand that running blades can cut our skin, or that a falling Mavic on our head can cause an injury.

Some accidents have already happened.

But, if we want to answer the question "how dangerous are drones" GENERALLY, we should study the possibility.

In real life, worldwide, there are a few injuries reported, and no fatal accidents.
Facts say, that drones are NOT a threat.

Posting every time, a study about what a falling drone can do to a head, the photo of this same child, and the case of this same woman injured, don't turn drones into fatal weapons.

Kites can make injuries too, if they fall with speed on a head.
We don't want a study to verify it.
Can we say that kites are dangerous and deadly?

Reactions: Point Zero
You missed the most important thing. The stupidity of humans. These things don't freefall at 122mph. Absolute rubbish.
No your response proves everything I have said!!!!!
You only take from what was written what you want and use it out of context of what was stated!!!!!
1. I said terminal was 120mph I never said the drone could reach that speed, I clearly stated that due to drag, shape and orientation of fall will effect the maximum speed,
2. I showed by providing real calculation proven science that at 30 mph a drone (well within the spec's of the drones)has 60 foot pounds of energy
3. I speculated by cutting the terminal velocity by almost half what the Foot Pounds of Energy would be.
4. I agreed to a post that due to the surface area, and materials of the drone the transfer of K.E would be lower than say a chunk of wood,
5. Another reply showed studies done by some colleges I will point out that FAA did state that different airframes will result in different results.
Let's try to put this in a different perspective and ask a simple question with some well known facts
1. Does everyone agree that a full grown man could punch with his fist hard enough to seriously injure a child?
Studies show an average male is able to punch an object with around 90 foot pounds of energy. A specialty trained individual has been able to double and even triple that. If a punch from an adults fist can seriously injure a child then how can anyone try and say a drone would never do so???
2. Many of you have said that I am exaggerating the response of the publics perception if something did happen. I will use a real world example to prove my point.... In New Jersey a TV star was killed in a collision with a Walmart truck, this happened in the same time frame as DOT was researching changing hours of service requirements. Every Tom **** and Harry who had a dog to hunt used that event and made sure it stayed in the publics eye. The direct result was the regulations that would allow driver's more hours denied, Now let's be clear!!! We are talking about laws and regulations that directly effect the income of millions of workers in the United States, Not about somebody having the right to go play with what the public perceives as a toy!
I love flying and challenging myself I don't want to loose that privilege because of the actions of a very small percentage irresponsible and or ignorant fliers

Status
Not open for further replies.
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ryanhafeman