DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Just learned this a couple of days ago, the flight distance limit in Europe

Spanish Flyer

Reactions
Hello once more,
I thought all Mavic units were the same, no matter where you bought it from, but I have now read some threads were it is stated that there are more than one models, being the difference the laws in each country...

It also states that the euro model is limited to 4 km range while the US version has a 7 km range. As far as I understood, this shorter range in the euro model is governed by the remote control, but not the bird, so my first question is IS IT SO? and the second is WHAT HAPPENS IF I TAKE MY MAVIC ABROAD, out of the EEC?

Finally, if I use a non EEC remote, will the range be extended? That is, if it is at all possible to couple MV and RMT....

Whatever it is, I do feel cheated by DJI, when all their advertisements I read in Spain still state that the flight range is 7 km and not 4...

Best regards,

Spanish Flyer

Last edited:
Hello once more,
I thought all Mavic units were the same, no matter where you bought it from, but I have now read some threads were it is stated that there are more than one models, being the difference the laws in each country...

It also states that the euro model is limited to 4 km range while the US version has a 7 km range. As far as I understood, this shorter range in the euro model is governed by the remote control, but not the bird, so my first question is IS IT SO? and the second is WHAT HAPPENS IF I TAKE MY MAVIC ABROAD, out of the EEC?

Finally, if I use a non EEC remote, will the range be extended? That is, if it is at all possible to couple VM and RMT....

Whatever it is, I do feel cheated by DJI, when all their advertisements I read in Spain still state that the flight range is 7 km and not 4...

Best regards,

Spanish Flyer
I beleive it will change with your location, just what I think I have read. If you think about it, it should be software and location dependent. You would not want a lot of Americans running around EU with their seven km range drones.

Reactions: Capra Vecinului
Bunny is correct.

Reactions: lekrantz
The Bird knows where it is by GPS (another reason why total ATTI is more difficult) and adjusts output level. Your Mavic should be able to make more range in FCC region. Im absolutely sure it's not the remote. I have 2 remotes (1 from USA), both perform the same with normal antenna's. The US one is modded AND boosted and able for 20.000'+ one-way now in EU.

Thanks for your comments and explanations; my main worry however is if the output is adjusted depending on the GPS positioning, will it also affect closer ranges but with some obstacles that reduce the permeability of the media? Say you are in a field and intend to fly over a forest, hoping that the RF gets through the trees to some extent... Will the limitation in the EU also affect the communication between bird and remote, meaning that you will lose contact before a US version does?
And what about the kits already available that improve the antenna's performance?
Spanish Flyer

Answer: YES. The EM signal does not like it when you have objects between remote and aircraft. Even trees. Sometimes it does work surprisingly well but don't rely on that. In some urban area's people might be able to make some range because the signal reflects (you will have great range over water) even against buildings but it hardly refracts. There are some types of "upgrade" antenna's now but do not trust the sales talk. I ve tried some (the CE output level could influence the efficiency here too) with little to zero improvement, even worse sometimes. A lot is a bunch of lies to sell (double the range, triple the range..all BS). Optimal config would be : amplify signal on Mavic AND rc. This means opening and modifying both.
Take a look at this thread, some useful stuff there.
NanoSync Antenna for DJI Mavic Coming Soon

Thanks for your comments and explanations; my main worry however is if the output is adjusted depending on the GPS positioning, will it also affect closer ranges but with some obstacles that reduce the permeability of the media? Say you are in a field and intend to fly over a forest, hoping that the RF gets through the trees to some extent... Will the limitation in the EU also affect the communication between bird and remote, meaning that you will lose contact before a US version does?
And what about the kits already available that improve the antenna's performance?
Spanish Flyer
The controller is the same I believe, my controller has both FCC & CE sticker so you should be fine. I see your point about obstacles however you are talking about either extreme range or heavy obstacles that would probably affect both output modes to the same degree. Yes in the EU you may lose a little more than distance but not enough to mod your antenna over (in my opinion.) Remember DJI spent millions of dollars in R&D (does not always seem like it) to make the Mavic the best and most efficient, slapping on a hundred dollar aftermarket antenna rig may not bring the desired effect.

Last edited:
Spanish Flyer

In theory, it's all academic, as you cannot see the bird at 4km, let alone 7.........

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
swigmofa