DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Just passed my Part 107 test. Here are my thoughts.

I passed with a 90%.

First thought.. it was a bit more difficult than I expected it to be.

From everything I read sectional charts were a big portion of the test. This is correct, however, the questions are pretty different than the practice test questions that are on sites like 3DR. Be prepared to know sectional charts really, really well. If you know this stuff at the very least I believe you would pass the test.

There were some random questions that asked you what the effects of caffeine, antihistamines, etc. Those were totally unexpected but the answers were pretty obvious.

I was really surprised how little weather related questions were on the test. I only had 1 question about a METAR and 1 TAF. The questions for those were really easy, just identifying wind in the TAF and the time the METAR report was valid from. Other than that I think the only other weather related question I had was about wind sheer occurring at any altitude. Oh, there was a question about density altitude, but it was worded in a different way than I ever saw. It basically said if the temperate at sea level is higher than the standard 59 degrees how would it effect performance.

There were 0 questions about latitude/longitude and 0 questions about clouds or stable air characteristics.

There was a question about buying a UA in a foreign country and whether or not you had to register it in the US, deregister it in the other country.. no idea what that answer is.

I’d say 90% of the test was charts and aircraft performance.
Well done!!!!

Just going through what seems like a very similar process in New Zealand. Rule 101 was a great introduction to the world of general aviation principles and practices. Rule 102 certainly a bit more in-depth in some GA areas, but also focusing more on exceptions where UAV flying might be permitted if unable to comply with Rule 101 conditions. My biggest hurdle was the practical flights over a series of examiner set exercises, all of which had to be in ATTI mode. Almost entirely my fault though because I don't have a lot of experience using ATTI, usually baulking at flying in any mode when winds were 30km/h or more, but which the examiner felt was okay. Next step for me is preparation of an exposition for eventual approval by CAA, allowing me a creditable background of experience and knowledge in the burgeoning UAV industry.
My two pence worth though; for anyone wanting to fly a UAV under the sanction of their country's aviation authority is to train, train and train some more. That doesn't just include clocking up actual flying time. Utilise the better YT tutorials to gain a better than minimal understanding of the principles of flight as well as general aviation rules. Don't forget to keep a log of flying time, non-flight training, and maintenance (which should include manufacturer software/firmware updates and upgrades)!

I passed the test several weeks ago. I found several questions on the test that were never covered in the Dart Drone course--one on weather, the other on using a buddy-box to fly. We never discussed such a device in the class, but guessed it was regarding two controllers for the same UAS--one for the PIC, the other for camera controls--is this right?

Overall, I'm very happy to have taken the drone class. I started self studying but decided on the class after trying to decipher sectional maps. The class was extremely helpful and is strongly recommended.

Reactions: jspil
Do you genuinely believe revenue opportunities are available to you? If so, go for it.

Just a thought on this: Even if you think that there’s only a *slight* chance to make money with your 107, don’t make the mistake of thinking that you’ll just wait and get it when a job presents itself. It is more time consuming than you think - studying, scheduling the test, going out to a facility to take it, doing the paperwork, etc. By the time you do all that, your opportunity may be gone. It made more sense to me to have it, then figure out later where the opportunities would be. I sold some stock footage and it was kind of a now or never thing. I was glad I had my certification and was ready to roll.

Reactions: DavidNDC and jspil
Just a thought on this: Even if you think that there’s only a *slight* chance to make money with your 107, don’t make the mistake of thinking that you’ll just wait and get it when a job presents itself. It is more time consuming than you think - studying, scheduling the test, going out to a facility to take it, doing the paperwork, etc. By the time you do all that, your opportunity may be gone. It made more sense to me to have it, then figure out later where the opportunities would be. I sold some stock footage and it was kind of a now or never thing. I was glad I had my certification and was ready to roll.
I am about 75% through the 107 course I'm talking on Udemy. I have also had opportunities to sell photos and videos. I ofcourse didn't take the money, but was wishing I had started the course sooner than I had. I know some may think I'm foolish for not taking the money, but I strongly believe in following the rules. I ended up burning the footage on a CD and just giving to the person.

I passed with a 90%.

First thought.. it was a bit more difficult than I expected it to be.

From everything I read sectional charts were a big portion of the test. This is correct, however, the questions are pretty different than the practice test questions that are on sites like 3DR. Be prepared to know sectional charts really, really well. If you know this stuff at the very least I believe you would pass the test.

There were some random questions that asked you what the effects of caffeine, antihistamines, etc. Those were totally unexpected but the answers were pretty obvious.

I was really surprised how little weather related questions were on the test. I only had 1 question about a METAR and 1 TAF. The questions for those were really easy, just identifying wind in the TAF and the time the METAR report was valid from. Other than that I think the only other weather related question I had was about wind sheer occurring at any altitude. Oh, there was a question about density altitude, but it was worded in a different way than I ever saw. It basically said if the temperate at sea level is higher than the standard 59 degrees how would it effect performance.

There were 0 questions about latitude/longitude and 0 questions about clouds or stable air characteristics.

There was a question about buying a UA in a foreign country and whether or not you had to register it in the US, deregister it in the other country.. no idea what that answer is.

I’d say 90% of the test was charts and aircraft performance.
Probably a lot of sectional for obvious airspace reasons.
I also understand that there should not be a large amount of weather questions. The reason being, drones do not fly in bad weather. Whether it be fog rain snow or strong winds.
Remember drone flying is in VMC only.
Congratulations on passing.
As a professional pilot, I wish more drone operators would take the time to improve their knowledge of the NAS.
Maybe then the laws wouldn’t restrict us as much.

Reactions: jspil
Congrats. I took mine last weekend and scored 93%. Lot of sectional chart questions. I hope to get into using it for several different ventures including 3D mapping, photography, etc.

Studying now. This has been very helpful. Thank you all.

Studying now. This has been very helpful. Thank you all.

Watch Tony Northrup’s video on YouTube- well worth it. Still review the FAA study guide as I found Tony didn’t cover some things. Seems like the majority concur that there are a lot of questions related to sectional maps. I would also make sure you can easily understand and read the METAR’s and TAF reports as well as other weather related stuff on clouds, air masses, etc. It really isn’t that bad. Lot of basic questions - just read them carefully because they do try to trick you.

I'm waiting for the first chance I can pop on the SFO frequency and announce my desire to land my Air on 28L. I'll be inbound on the glide scope at 25 mph with a 747 with full flaps trying to slow down behind me. He'd better watch out for my tip vortex.
OH man, I would PAY to be a part of THAT conversation. ?

If anyone is looking for good test prep software, I highly recommend ASA's remote pilot prepware for prep on the knowledge test. The iPhone app costs $5 and periodically updates it's question databank to more closely mirror what's going to be on the FAA knowledge test. You can also by the Remote Pilot Prepware course CD-ROM or download for a PC from ASA's website.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maniac2000