DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Just Received My Mavic Drop Mechanism (Drop Maze)

The drone isn't used to dangle the fishing lure in the water. Have you seen the tuna fishing video above? They reel the line out with the drone, to a spot where they can clearly see fish, and then they drop/release the lure into the water. At that point, the drone is completely separate, and used only to observe.
OK, got it, but I am sure here in Kalifornia they would claim that was taking unfair advantage of the poor fish and ban it.

Reactions: Mtb Uas
Not my area of interest. Have fun and get the big one.

I have it on good authority that if you say your Hail Mary's you're guaranteed to catch a fish. Know that reference? :cool:

First thought that came to mind.. A River Runs Though It...? Some awesome fly fishin' scenes in that film.

Remember how our drones are considered aircraft, and enjoy the same protections as aircraft - eg it's federally illegal to shoot at an aircraft, including a drone. Well the US Code of Federal Regulations says this about dropping objects from aircraft:

CFR › Title 14 › Chapter I › Subchapter F › Part 91 › Subpart A › Section 91.15
14 CFR 91.15 - Dropping objects.

§ 91.15 Dropping objects.
No pilot in command of a civil aircraft may allow any object to be dropped from that aircraft in flight that creates a hazard to persons or property. However, this section does not prohibit the dropping of any object if reasonable precautions are taken to avoid injury or damage to persons or property.

14 CFR 91.15 - Dropping objects.

So the conversation about making it illegal to drop anything from a drone might already be covered here - you just have to use 'reasonable precautions' (whatever those mean) and obviously dropping things over people is going to be covered as an illegality.

I think if there is one thing we as a group should be concerned about is these drop mechanisms. Its bad enough that people already think that we have 50x zoom lenses in our drones and we are spying on them from 200 ft up. If we have cases of people dropping stuff into crowds, stuff like Eggs or Ink balloons etc. and maybe something worst. It's all over for us as far as ever getting public support. Not to mention how big the NFZ list will get.

Rob

Maybe we should all sell our drones and just cry in the corner... waaahhh

Lol

There is a theory that always talking negative will bring negativity to ur life

I thought the Traxxas forum was bad, but this forum is overflowing with fun police.

I think most are just sensible members concerned about a hobby they enjoy and rightly worried about things that could or at least may be perceived to be damaging to the hobby, especially if witnesses by members of the public or blown up in to some sort of evil drones of death scare story by the press.

Some though are just like hammers, constantly looking for nails to bang in. And bang on at any opportunity.

And I guess some are fully paid up members of the fun police and would probably moan if a bird sung in barcley square without the appropriate permissions, in triplicate.

But stick around most people on here are great and there is always the ignore button for those that arnt :)

On Thursday night I received my "drop maze". I ordered it on eBay with the hopes of pulling a fishing line.

Have any of you used this before? I tried multiple YouTube searches, but the only one that comes up is a video by the designer showing himself drop some keys with his Mavic.

If the weather calms down today I might try and take it to the field I fly in and practice dropping some keys or something before I work my way to flying over water with a dangling fishing line behind my Mavic.

Here is a picture so everyone knows what I'm talking about.
24dd829449092e33c2c9487794988bfc.jpg
79069ffaa7c9ef6b496a5c27f9984858.jpg
I think there is a risk that the bail in the reel of the fishing rod gets stuck or reversed for any reason before you wiggle the release mechanism then the tension can bring the drone down.
I would prefer using line release clips such as the Scotty Power Grip Plus Release which can be found in Amazon

Here's a video how much you can lift with the MP. Not too bad....if you get my drift

I now have lots of flight hours with the gannet bait drop mechanism and think it is lots of fun and even possesses some utility.

Mavic can successfully fly a floatation device and rope from shore to a person who needs rescue hundreds of feet away.

Whats the search keyword for the drop maze for example on aliexpress? Whenever its coming out to sale....?

Actually, I think I'm gonna build one...a saw, a drill and maybe plexiglass or other plastic.

I had the same idea I'm going to build mine out of one of those plastic trays that holds your dinner check. I stenciled out a copy of the red drop mechanism design on to the back of the tray, probably going to use a jigsaw to cut it. I plan to bend the little clip that holds your credit card by dipping it in boiling water so that I can fashion it into a clip that I can attach to its rear feet. Pics to follow

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PilotOne