DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Just saw this news about drones being used to inspect power lines.

Yep. Our company has been using them for years. We actually started with a Phantom to reach towers that we can't drive or walk to.

Yes, that's been gong on for quite a while, here in Australia too.
Imagine how much cost and time network providers are saving using drones over helis ?

At least we don’t have wedge-tailed eagles to contend with while flying in open spaces here in the US, do they have insurance for that in Australia or do the companies just have to eat it when they attack? I’ve seen pics of some pretty expensive aircraft doing infrastructure surveys that were destroyed by those things!
C572C8AD-7F8F-43E1-9D86-F7DC9616E09E.jpeg

Last edited:
At least we don’t have wedge-tailed eagles to contend with while flying in open spaces here in the US, do they have insurance for that in Australia or do the companies just have to eat it when they attack? I’ve seen pics of some pretty expensive aircraft doing infrastructure surveys that were destroyed by those things!
View attachment 85690

I imagine most of the utilities people use either inhouse RePL licensed drone personnel, or hire full RePL / ReOC licensed pilots / operators.
Either way, they probably do (have to) have full insurances including equipment and public liability.

That photo does look expensive :confused:

Wedgies are found right across Oz, and yeah they seem to take drones on "no worries mate" ?
Don't Bald Eagles have similar temperaments ?

I imagine most of the utilities people use either inhouse RePL licensed drone personnel, or hire full RePL / ReOC licensed pilots / operators.
Either way, they probably do (have to) have full insurances including equipment and public liability.

That photo does look expensive :confused:

Wedgies are found right across Oz, and yeah they seem to take drones on "no worries mate" ?
Don't Bald Eagles have similar temperaments ?
Bald eagles would mainly take on a drone near an active nest, or nearby - migrating bald eagles would mainly ignore them. Red-tailed hawks are more aggressive, and do show interest even if not nesting. The worse we have here are hummingbirds, they chase ravens even!
I think the wedgies beat all though! They are just mean and hit anything flying, even humans on parasails (no doubt you’ve seen videos of poor pilots getting hit in the head by them!)

Bald eagles would mainly take on a drone near an active nest, or nearby - migrating bald eagles would mainly ignore them. Red-tailed hawks are more aggressive, and do show interest even if not nesting. The worse we have here are hummingbirds, they chase ravens even!
I think the wedgies beat all though! They are just mean and hit anything flying, even humans on parasails (no doubt you’ve seen videos of poor pilots getting hit in the head by them!)

Ah, Wedgies don't have to migrate here, possibly makes them even more territorial.
Yes, small birds often chase Wedgies too, they just ignore them (possibly snack on them sometimes) lol.

Have seen literally dozens on roadsides sometimes in the outback, seem to be having a Wedgie conference, a most majestic bird in flight, and striking appearance on the ground too.

A pic of one snacking on road kill on a trip coming home . . .

P4275597lr.jpg

Taken at quite a distance with some zoom, on a little Olympus P&S TG-1, sorry about the fuzziness.

Got to go look up YouTube for paraglider Wedge Tail now :)

Reactions: AMann
Ah, Wedgies don't have to migrate here, possibly makes them even more territorial.
Yes, small birds often chase Wedgies too, they just ignore them (possibly snack on them sometimes) lol.

Have seen literally dozens on roadsides sometimes in the outback, seem to be having a Wedgie conference, a most majestic bird in flight, and striking appearance on the ground too.

A pic of one snacking on road kill on a trip coming home . . .

View attachment 85705

Taken at quite a distance with some zoom, on a little Olympus P&S TG-1, sorry about the fuzziness.

Got to go look up YouTube for paraglider Wedge Tail now :)

Sam Clarks (google “wedge-tail paraglider”) is pretty good, but his youtube video title page photo shows him giving a wedgie the bird, so I don’t want to post it here ;)

Wow! That photo is nice, it looks like one of our golden eagles (our largest raptor in the states) on steroids!

Reactions: MAvic_South_Oz
Sam Clarks (google “wedge-tail paraglider”) is pretty good,

Ha ha, classic . . . and awesome, those talons could have shredded that sail like a paper shredder.
Not sure it was attacking though, looked more like it was saying "Nah, like this mate !!"

A couple of others came up on the search, this one got the paras sail . . .

. . . and this one had a GANG of Wedgies on him !!

Ok, sorry for the digression, hopefully it's entertaining at least.

• Haha
Reactions: AMann
Yes, that's been gong on for quite a while, here in Australia too.
Imagine how much cost and time network providers are saving using drones over helis ?
They have been using DJI Drones to inspect High Voltage lines and towers for about 3 or 4 years now in the US. It's good for us drone enthusiasts but sucks for the Line Heli Pilots and Line Techs... They made bookoo bucks, just think how much money those electrical companies are saving on equipment, manpower , insurance and whatever else. I bet its in the millions easily

They have been using DJI Drones to inspect High Voltage lines and towers for about 3 or 4 years now in the US. It's good for us drone enthusiasts but sucks for the Line Heli Pilots and Line Techs... They made bookoo bucks, just think how much money those electrical companies are saving on equipment, manpower , insurance and whatever else. I bet its in the millions easily
My team lead is a helicopter pilot and hate drones. Lol, he probably losing a lot of money. Flying helicopter has been his second job.

Reactions: Racin8de
My team lead is a helicopter pilot and hate drones. Lol, he probably losing a lot of money. Flying helicopter has been his second job.
[/QUO

Yeah that part of it is horrible. Those Line worker positions including heli pilot have been doing it for decades passing the trade down to each new generation of family. I do feel for them

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Corbo2000