DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Just Talked My Good Friend into Buying Mini 2...But I Know Nothing About Android Phones

Reactions
I run my Mini 2 on my iPhone Pro Max running IOS 15.3.1 with no issues.

But my friend has a Samsung Galaxy S9 running Android 8.0 Oreo. Below is a snapshot of his phone's configuration along with a link to the full specs for his Samsung Galaxy S9. Do any of you know of any issues that would prohibit flying a Mini 2 with this phone?

I did multiple searches on the forum returning zero results. Not being an Android user, I'm not sure my search terms were correct. I would hate for him to buy the Mini 2 only to find there were known issues.

I did read Pilot32 question dated 11/19/2021. One of this responses read: : "The app (FLY) has no problem with the Android operating system. The main issue you may have picked up on is that the Fly app will only run on 64 bit phones and tablets, ands the earlier Go app was a 32 bit app."

I don't know if my friend's phone runs 64 bit apps or if there might be other issues using FLY with his phone. If you read the Full Specs below under the heading: Processor, it doesn't address the 64 bit issue.

Is my friend safe to buy the Mini 2 with this phone?

Phone Configuration:

Samsung Galaxy S9
Model SM - G960U
Hardware version, Rev 1.1
Memory 4 GB
Storage 64GB
Software updated to G960USQU9FU L1
Runs on 8.0 Oreo

Full specs:

Samsung Galaxy S9 USA SM-G960U Full Specifications - Tsar3000

Thank you...I would hate to put a strain on my relationship with my friend by leading him down proverbial primrose path...looks really good but ends in disaster...$599 combo risk.

These two links indicate that that model phone uses a Snapdragon 64-bit chip set.

I didn't see anything on the Samsung site, though.

I think I recall reading the users on this forum were using DJI Fly on an S9. You might search the archive.

I don't know if my friend's phone runs 64 bit apps or if there might be other issues using FLY with his phone. If you read the Full Specs below under the heading: Processor, it doesn't address the 64 bit issue.
Relax ... lots of flyers use the S9 without problems.
It has a 64 bit processor and runs DJI Fly.

This guide will show you how to configure the phone:

Reactions: GadgetGuy
Two things you can try before buying the Mini 2.

1. This webpage: Best Tablets and Phones for DJI GO & DJI Fly (Updated Daily) | Phantom Help
lists the "Best Tablets and Phones for DJI GO & DJI Fly (Updated Daily)". Scroll down about 3/4 of the page and it shows the S9. I guess people have only recommended it for DJI Go 4.

2. You may also be able to download and install DJI Fly and just test that it runs on your phone. You won't be able to do much, but if it runs, that's a great confidence booster.

Reactions: RMS001
download and install DJI Fly and just test that it runs on your phone.
That's exactly what the OP should do on his friend's phone... quickest easiest way to test the phone for compatibility, period.

I can tell you in advance the S9 should work though... I don't even own a drone that uses the FLY app, but was curious and had some time on my hands one night. I downloaded the app from the DJI download site, side loaded it, and it works just fine - on a Galaxy S7.

Thanks for all the great feedback. I was able to verify the Samsung Galaxy S9 has no issues with DJI Fly
Good, glad you got that worked out.... looks like you posted while I was composing. Hope your friend really enjoys his Mini 2

But my friend has a Samsung Galaxy S9 running Android 8.0 Oreo. Below is a snapshot of his phone's configuration along with a link to the full specs for his Samsung Galaxy S9. Do any of you know of any issues that would prohibit flying a Mini 2 with this phone?

I did multiple searches on the forum returning zero results. Not being an Android user, I'm not sure my search terms were correct. I would hate for him to buy the Mini 2 only to find there were known issues.

I did read Pilot32 question dated 11/19/2021. One of this responses read: : "The app (FLY) has no problem with the Android operating system. The main issue you may have picked up on is that the Fly app will only run on 64 bit phones and tablets, ands the earlier Go app was a 32 bit app."

Phone Configuration:

Samsung Galaxy S9
Model SM - G960U
Memory 4 GB
Storage 64GB
Runs on 8.0 Oreo

Full specs:

Thank you...I would hate to put a strain on my relationship with my friend by leading him down proverbial primrose path...looks really good but ends in disaster...$599 combo risk.

I use the Galaxy S9 with the Mini 2 but it's running Android 10

Even though upgrading yor friend Galaxy S9 from Android 8 to Android 10 is not necessary for running DJI Fly app is always a good idea.

Phone Configuration:

Samsung Galaxy S9
Model SM - G960U
Memory 4 GB
Storage 64GB
Runs on 8.0 Oreo

Full specs:

Ask your friend to try to download DJI Fly ahead of time. If it successfully installs on the phone, it should run fine.

When I got my Mini-2, DJI Fly wouldn't run on either the Samsung phone that I had, or the Samsung tablet that I had.

I ended up buying a new phone, a Samsung Galaxy S20 Note, and it works great. The Samsung that wouldn't run DJI Fly was an S7.

Good luck!

TCS

These two links indicate that that model phone uses a Snapdragon 64-bit chip set.

I didn't see anything on the Samsung site, though.

I think I recall reading the users on this forum were using DJI Fly on an S9. You might search the archive.
As usual the stated specs (from Qualcomm) don't mention that it's 64bit. You have to get that good news elsewhere. DJI Fly needs 64bit to work. I don't know why that info about a device is always left out. A friend had to clue me in that the Samsung Galaxy Tab A7 Lite I had just bought was indeed in possession of a 64bit processor. Runs DJI Fly and DJI Mimo without a hitch.

Last edited:
As usual the stated specs (from Qualcomm) don't mention that it's 64bit. You have to get that good news elsewhere. DJI Fly needs 64bit to work. I don't know why that info about a device is always left out. A friend had to clue me in that the Samsung Galaxy Tab A7 Lite I had just bought was indeed in possession of a 64bit processor. Runs DJI Fly and DJI Mimo without a hitch.
I agree. It's annoying when a spec that matters gets left out.

And in this case, it seems that in addition to 64 bit hardware, you need an OS that runs 64 bit as well.

And there's no convenient way to look up whether any particular device has those characteristics.

Phone Configuration:

Samsung Galaxy S9
Model SM - G960U
Memory 4 GB
Storage 64GB
Runs on 8.0 Oreo

Full specs:

I use a Galaxy S10 with my Mini 2 & have had no problems.

Galaxy S9 is no longer on DJI's list of supported phones. Good Luck.

Requires Android 6.0 or above.

Compatible with Samsung Galaxy S21,Samsung Galaxy S20,Samsung Galaxy S10+,Samsung Galaxy S10,Samsung Galaxy Note20,Samsung Galaxy Note10+ ,Samsung Galaxy Note9,HUAWEI Mate40 Pro,HUAWEI Mate30 Pro,HUAWEI P40 Pro,HUAWEI P30 Pro,HUAWEI P30,Honor 50 Pro,Mi 11,Mi 10,Mi MIX 4,Redmi Note 10,OPPO Find X3,OPPO Reno 4,vivo NEX 3,OnePlus 9 Pro,OnePlus 9,Pixel 6,Pixel 4,Pixel 3 XL

I agree. It's annoying when a spec that matters gets left out.

And in this case, it seems that in addition to 64 bit hardware, you need an OS that runs 64 bit as well.

And there's no convenient way to look up whether any particular device has those characteristics.

Some "useful" links

Galaxy S9 is no longer on DJI's list of supported phones. Good Luck.

Requires Android 6.0 or above.

Compatible with Samsung Galaxy S21,Samsung Galaxy S20,Samsung Galaxy S10+,Samsung Galaxy S10,Samsung Galaxy Note20,Samsung Galaxy Note10+ ,Samsung Galaxy Note9,HUAWEI Mate40 Pro,HUAWEI Mate30 Pro,HUAWEI P40 Pro,HUAWEI P30 Pro,HUAWEI P30,Honor 50 Pro,Mi 11,Mi 10,Mi MIX 4,Redmi Note 10,OPPO Find X3,OPPO Reno 4,vivo NEX 3,OnePlus 9 Pro,OnePlus 9,Pixel 6,Pixel 4,Pixel 3 XL
My old Galaxy S7 phone runs DJI Fly and DJI Mino. I'm using it as my monitor with my DJI Pocket 1. Am I missing something?

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kcb2627