DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

New Mini 2 owner, need help!

tryn2fly

Reactions
Hi all, I am a new owner of a DJI Mini 2 and I am having trouble with the DJI Fly app as I am sure a few others may be experiencing. It does not appear in the google play store when searching, so after doing a bit of web surfing, I went directly to the DJI website and downloaded the app directly from the site which seemed to me to be a little sketchy but I was still down to play ball. I Then attempted to install the DJI Fly app on my phone (Samsung Galaxy S9 edge) but my phone flagged it as unsafe. I attempted to force the download to see if I could get it to work but my phone would not allow installation of the app.

I tried looking for a third party app that I could use in place of the DJI Fly app, but could not find anything that is compatible with the Mini 2. I looked up my phone's specs and it should all be compatible with the DJI Fly app. I have three mobile lines, all Android, (the S9, a Motorolla Moto, and an S20) none of them worked with the DJI Fly app. This is my first consumer UAV, but I am not new to flying quadcopters. I am an engineer and I participated some R&D projects for mapping structures via quadcopters and LiDAR for my company years ago. I have a basic understanding of how these things work, I am a decent pilot, but I am unfamiliar with the consumer products and how they intertwine with mobile devices. The last time I flew one of these things, it was a an early 3DR and I was using a laptop to plan routes and perform other functions. Any help with this would be really appreciated.

Which android browser did you use? You can also download it on a computer and transfer it then install it.

Reactions: db4476
Which android browser did you use? You can also download it on a computer and transfer it then install it.
Hi and thanks for the reply. I also tried downloading it to my computer and then transferring the file to my phone, but the issue is that my phone won't allow for the install as it sees the file as unsafe. Is anyone else running into this issue or have heard of this?

On my Google Pixel I was able to over-ride the security setting and allowed the DJIFly download from the DJI website to load. I'm not sure of the step by step to do it on a Galaxy. There are no third party apps available for the Mini 2 yet because there is no SDK (software development kit) available from DJI to support the Mini 2. It is supposed to be released this week, after which third party apps should start supporting it.

You have to perform the process for authorizing installation of an unknown app, after you have download the apk to you android device. This process is also known as sideloading.
On older Android allowing sideloading was basically an on/off switch. When enabled then any apk or app could be installed onto your android device. This is not a secure configuration. Later versions of Android e.g. android 11, allows a specific app, in this case, the DJI Fly app, to be authorized to be installed on your device as an "unknown app". In other words it is not a global property that has to be toggled on to install the DJI Fly app (as long as you are using Android 11). You are only authorizing a specific app; the DJI fly app, to be installed.

Suggest you research side loading before you do this to ensure you are comfortable with this approach.
There are some risks with allowing sideloading. DJI encrypted the log files in their Fly app. This may be why, or at least associated with the reason Google why, Google does not allow the app on the Google play server. DJI SHOULD work with Google to fix the problem. Whatever the reason it is pretty sh**itt***y on DJI's part for not resolving the problem.

Here is a link that may answer your questions as well on what is sideloading: How to install third party apps without the Google Play Store

Last edited:
Hi all, I am a new owner of a DJI Mini 2 and I am having trouble with the DJI Fly app as I am sure a few others may be experiencing. It does not appear in the google play store when searching, so after doing a bit of web surfing, I went directly to the DJI website and downloaded the app directly from the site which seemed to me to be a little sketchy but I was still down to play ball. I Then attempted to install the DJI Fly app on my phone (Samsung Galaxy S9 edge) but my phone flagged it as unsafe. I attempted to force the download to see if I could get it to work but my phone would not allow installation of the app.

I tried looking for a third party app that I could use in place of the DJI Fly app, but could not find anything that is compatible with the Mini 2. I looked up my phone's specs and it should all be compatible with the DJI Fly app. I have three mobile lines, all Android, (the S9, a Motorolla Moto, and an S20) none of them worked with the DJI Fly app. This is my first consumer UAV, but I am not new to flying quadcopters. I am an engineer and I participated some R&D projects for mapping structures via quadcopters and LiDAR for my company years ago. I have a basic understanding of how these things work, I am a decent pilot, but I am unfamiliar with the consumer products and how they intertwine with mobile devices. The last time I flew one of these things, it was a an early 3DR and I was using a laptop to plan routes and perform other functions. Any help with this would be really appreciated.
When I downloaded the DJI Fly app I had to change the permission settings in my phone befor my phone would accept the download. I have the galaxy a50. Worked for me.

I remember someone telling me their reason for iOS being better than Android. I bought into their explanation for android having issues. The android from the past would download anything and because of that did not very if they were safe and would just download it as appose to iOS that would verify the app did not have some sort of virus attached to it. Probably why the current android does not see the DJI app as Secure. Not saying that it has anything to do with the solution just what I was thinking when android came up.

settings , security , install unknown apps. samsung galaxy s10

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PilotOne