DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Kamikaze Sniper Gulls vs the Mavic 2

Phantomrain.org

Approved Vendor
Reactions
We tried to make it out of the bay, when dead in my sights was a oncoming Japanese Gull , the command was given to Reverse all motors.

There is not doubt that the Mavic 2 Zoom is a Sea Gull Magnet compared to the Phantom 4 Pro where we have never had quite this much attention.

The short video shows the Kamikaze coming straight for the drone.

In an attempt to solve this problem we will be trying out the Different Color Wet Suits to see if any of them have less of an impact on the Sea Gulls as it did on the Phantom 4 Series drones.

The idea is to make a slow pace out of the bay under the birds without being followed or attacked.
We like to start out with a 10 minute hover position. So each wet suit will get a fair test. This is also the most vulnerable position for the drone to go down.

The Phantom Rain Wet Suits made a big Difference in the Phantom 4 Pro and may yet make a difference in the Mavic 2.

These are the Wet Suits that will be Tested : We will also test out the Rescue jackets to see if that makes any noticeable difference

Being that the Sea Gulls are white the ORCA wet Suit does not hold much promise.

We will be posting the full 30 min video on the website Phantomrain.org

Last edited:
Reactions: Hauptmann
Your drone is invading their home. You should quit harassing wildlife. You are attacking them. You give all drone flyiers a bad name and it leads to drones being banned. You can rationalize it all you want, but you are invading their airspace. Doesn't matter how slow your flying, how high, low, or how long you hover.

Your drone is invading their home. You should quit harassing wildlife. You are attacking them. You give all drone flyiers a bad name and it leads to drones being banned. You can rationalize it all you want, but you are invading their airspace. Doesn't matter how slow your flying, how high, low, or how long you hover.

He most likely killed a dozen mosquitos and a few Nats also. Shameless and tragic.

You know, it could look like a predatory bird to them like a falcon or sharpie... perhaps backing off is a good idea. I dont think skins are going to change anything.

Reactions: mnis
You know, it could look like a predatory bird to them like a falcon or sharpie... perhaps backing off is a good idea. I dont think skins are going to change anything.

With the Phantom 4 , the Red and Black Trauma 1 Wet Suit provided a lot more comfort from the birds , but the smaller profile of the Mavic 2 it may be to small to make the change happen.

Were testing the Mavic 2 Trauma 1 today.

Reactions: grendeljaeger
This article from National Geographic has a few ideas that could be adapted to a drone. Gulls Be Gone: 10 Ways to Get Rid of Pesky Birds . They are a invasive species in many areas and cause and spread disease. The ideas I liked were "owl eyes" and the article stated that reflective material can baffle birds, so mirrored or shiny tape and streamers may be an inexpensive deterrent. It also mentions strobe lights and "an interesting product, called an "optical fire gel," apparently looks like flames to a seagull and can be applied to many surfaces. (We see orange, but with their ability to see UV light, they get a different picture.)" And you may already be on the right track as they mention some people think the color red may work. These are opportunistic scavengers and are not like raptors or other protected species.

Reactions: bassnbeau and mnis
This article from National Geographic has a few ideas that could be adapted to a drone. Gulls Be Gone: 10 Ways to Get Rid of Pesky Birds . They are a invasive species in many areas and cause and spread disease. The ideas I liked were "owl eyes" and the article stated that reflective material can baffle birds, so mirrored or shiny tape and streamers may be an inexpensive deterrent. It also mentions strobe lights and "an interesting product, called an "optical fire gel," apparently looks like flames to a seagull and can be applied to many surfaces. (We see orange, but with their ability to see UV light, they get a different picture.)" And you may already be on the right track as they mention some people think the color red may work. These are opportunistic scavengers and are not like raptors or other protected species.

We do know that sea gulls have excellent color vision including UV light as you mention. but the Fire Gel is for Roosting areas. The problem with the Owl Eyes is the Mavic footprint is so small there is not much room to work with.

Last edited:
I like your designs--right now I'm favoring the Neon-TAC, and may order it for my M2P. Gulls can be aggressive, but I've never had much trouble with them. I've flown several times around Alcatraz, where seagulls abound. I avoid the NW and SW ends of the island where seabird rookeries are. Gulls are everywhere out there, but none have shown much of an interest. The only times my Mavic was "attacked"--usually by a single bird--was near the pier in SF where we took off/landed. I just climb vertically so that he/she no longer sees my Mavic as a threat. Then I approach my landing spot from another direction.

I like your designs--right now I'm favoring the Neon-TAC, and may order it for my M2P. Gulls can be aggressive, but I've never had much trouble with them. I've flown several times around Alcatraz, where seagulls abound. I avoid the NW and SW ends of the island where seabird rookeries are. Gulls are everywhere out there, but none have shown much of an interest. The only times my Mavic was "attacked"--usually by a single bird--was near the pier in SF where we took off/landed. I just climb vertically so that he/she no longer sees my Mavic as a threat. Then I approach my landing spot from another direction.

As a forum member you get an Extra Battery Seal and and Extra Color switch, so keep me posted when you order you can get both the Neon and a Trauma 1.
Thank you for your interest.

Birds are repelled buy multi colored reflective tape. It's an Old Farmer's trick, put old CDs up in trees around a garden and in two days there will be no birds see attached piicture of my "birds".IMG_20181110_094300-1.jpg

Reactions: carpedebass
Goin Up. Very interesting idea. That said, I love the Trauma 1 suit. I've recently had gulls take a very specific interest in my bird, which can be seen here.

But I've never actually been attacked by birds until flying around bridges last weekend. Was dive bombed by several American Cliff Swallows when I accidentally got too close to their nests on the side of the bridge. I immediately cut bait and flew straight up to 400' then back home and got the heck outta there.

We tried to make it out of the bay, when dead in my sights was a oncoming Japanese Gull , the command was given to Reverse all motors.

There is not doubt that the Mavic 2 Zoom is a Sea Gull Magnet compared to the Phantom 4 Pro where we have never had quite this much attention.

The short video shows the Kamikaze coming straight for the drone.

In an attempt to solve this problem we will be trying out the Different Color Wet Suits to see if any of them have less of an impact on the Sea Gulls as it did on the Phantom 4 Series drones.

The idea is to make a slow pace out of the bay under the birds without being followed or attacked.
We like to start out with a 10 minute hover position. So each wet suit will get a fair test. This is also the most vulnerable position for the drone to go down.

The Phantom Rain Wet Suits made a big Difference in the Phantom 4 Pro and may yet make a difference in the Mavic 2.

These are the Wet Suits that will be Tested : We will also test out the Rescue jackets to see if that makes any noticeable difference

Being that the Sea Gulls are white the ORCA wet Suit does not hold much promise.

View attachment 68943

We will be posting the full 30 min video on the website Phantomrain.org

Great footage.

Reactions: Phantomrain.org

Sea gulls = wildlife? Not in my book! Tell me that when they do-do (gotta watch my language) on your car & it ruins the paint. Tell me that when you set out some food & the miserable vermin steal it. Tell me that when you see them stealing eggs from tree nesting birds that are on the endangered list. Sea gulls - they take the place of skeet targets whenever possible! LOL!

Oh please!

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jared69