DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Keep the Air2 or sell?

Hi first time posting …I was in the same boat your in I had air2 combi for 15 months I’m only a casual flyer but over Christmas with to much time of I got hung up watching YouTube and looking at all the positive about owning the 2s so I decided to trad my air2 for the air2s..I’m flying the air2s a couple of weeks and it a great drone , but to be honest I’m not at all happy with the flight time of the air2s it’s crap compared to air2 my advice to you.Don’t jump like me take your time the air2 is a class drone maybe in the future when I have enough euros I’ll try buy air2 again …. Just my opinion remember the grass is alway greener somewhere else 👍

Hi first time posting …I was in the same boat your in I had air2 combi for 15 months I’m only a casual flyer but over Christmas with to much time of I got hung up watching YouTube and looking at all the positive about owning the 2s so I decided to trad my air2 for the air2s..I’m flying the air2s a couple of weeks and it a great drone , but to be honest I’m not at all happy with the flight time of the air2s it’s crap compared to air2 my advice to you.Don’t jump like me take your time the air2 is a class drone maybe in the future when I have enough euros I’ll try buy air2 again …. Just my opinion remember the grass is alway greener somewhere else 👍
Both drones have the exact battery and flying time. They are the same drones except the camera and sensors angle relocated at front.

Last edited:
Reactions: evans.steve
This reminds me of chasing DSLR features and sensor sizes. In the end, a 6x7 100MP sensor will always be better than an 10MP APS sensor (not really, but Hasselblad wants you to think that).

While the Air2S has a larger sensor and thus should have lower noise, is the difference detectable in enough of the images you plan to take to make the change worthwhile?

If you are upgrading to get a better camera sensor and lens system, then you should not limit yourself to a DJI drone. There are many drones with far superior cameras to the Air2 and Air2S. The easy choice is the Mavic 3; but you'd be missing out on all the features of the real cameras on board the pro level drones. Sort of like trying to using a fixed focus point and shoot camera when an SLR is available. Here's a quick peek at just DJI cameras:
DJI Drone Sensor Size Comparison Page — DJZ Photography - Real Estate Photographer, Grand Rapids, MI

I'm kind of liking the Zenmuse 5 4/3's sensor. It is what a real photographer would use.

Both drones have the exact battery and flying time. They are the same drones except the camera and sensors angle relocated at front.
No - they don't have the same flight times. Read the DJI spec sheet. Add that DJI over rates the flight time, the fact the Air2S starts with less means you get a smaller percentage of advertised flight time - 80% of 34 minutes is better than 80% of 31 minutes. And for the Math-o-compromised - 31 is only 90% of 34.

Reactions: garv
No - they don't have the same flight times. Read the DJI spec sheet. Add that DJI over rates the flight time, the fact the Air2S starts with less means you get a smaller percentage of advertised flight time - 80% of 34 minutes is better than 80% of 31 minutes. And for the Math-o-compromised - 31 is only 90% of 34.
Both drones use the same battery. In fact. DJI is making 2 different batteries for the same drone in different mah and different voltage but resulting in the same performance for the battery. The DJI Air 2S is heavier than the Air 2 this may explain the extra 4 minutes in the paper. The reality they perform almost the same.

Intelligent Flight Battery​

• Capacity[1]​

• 3750 mAh / 3500 mAh
  • Voltage​

• 11.04 V / 11.55 V
  • Max Charging Voltage​

• 12.6 V / 13.2 V
  • Battery Type​

• LiPo 3S
  • Energy​

• 41.4 Wh / 40.42 Wh
  • Weight​

• 198 g
  • Charging Temperature Range​

• 5° to 40°C (41° to 104°F)
  • Max Charging Power​

• 38 W
  • Built-in Battery​

• N/A

Reactions: maggior
The law will not kick in until next year and even with that, you can use a beacon remote ID in the worst-case scenario. I am pretty sure the Air 2/2S will be fine because even the M2P will be able to handle it is my understanding.
Good to hear Zeus. Thanks.

I feel Air 2S is by far a better drone and camera system, so if it is the images that count, Sell. Or, just keep as a backup. I keep a Mini as a backup to my Air 2S but the Air 2 is more versatile.

Last edited:
Just an example of the Air 2S camera shouting my Mavic 3. (wife flying the M3) No crop, no post processing. Just golden hour and 3FT one to each other. Manual focus.
DJI_0095.JPG

I decided to keep my Air 2 after buying the Air 2S.
Will be using the older Air 2 for some of those more high risk shots so my anxiety levels don’t rise too much.
Batteries are interchangeable, as are the props.
I had the Air2 combo so now have four batteries.
Leg extenders and prop guards are also interchangeable.

I find the 1in sensor is a noticeable upgrade in the M2P particularly for dynamic range which is beneficial with drone photography since there's usually a bright sky and dark ground. Partially it depends how the camera is used though as comparing the images straight out of camera there's no going to be as much difference as when processing them.

I have debated picking up an Air2s refurb and just using my air2 s batteries then still have a back up. Haven't FULLY vetted it out though so someone may correct me here for it being a horribly idea. I can take a $$ hit if I have some redundancy and ened up giving my mini to the sister and FPV isn't the same.

The law will not kick in until next year and even with that, you can use a beacon remote ID in the worst-case scenario. I am pretty sure the Air 2/2S will be fine because even the M2P will be able to handle it is my understanding.
Not to mention that many folks will probably ignore the requirement. Look at the VLOS requirement, which gets loosely interpreted all the time. And for RID, how (and who) will be detecting violators? After all, the violators will be lacking the signal!

I have debated picking up an Air2s refurb and just using my air2 s batteries then still have a back up. Haven't FULLY vetted it out though so someone may correct me here for it being a horribly idea. I can take a $$ hit if I have some redundancy and ened up giving my mini to the sister and FPV isn't the same.
I don't think DJI is selling Air 2S refurbs yet.

I'm also a photographer and love the Air 2. Its a great flying drone and produces amazing images. The biggest difference between the 2 and 2s is the 2s will give you better night images. For me its not worth the loss, fly it and enjoy it.

All these RID potential laws are going to effect the entire drone community in some form or another. I understand the pros and cons to it, but at the same time there is also the grandfather clause that should at least be considered. It's not like you are going to be able to add an car airbag to a pre '90 car and make it a requirement? I know it won't be in the air. I'm just rambling now/

I'm also a photographer and love the Air 2. Its a great flying drone and produces amazing images. The biggest difference between the 2 and 2s is the 2s will give you better night images. For me its not worth the loss, fly it and enjoy it.
While the high iso is better on the 1in sensor I'd say the biggest different in practice when using a drone is the much better dynamic range on the 1in sensor, there's very little you can do with shadows and highlights on a 1/2.3in sensor but there's a good amount of headroom in the shadows and highlights on a 1in sensor.

Not that it helps you but I couldn’t decide so I now have both. The Air 2S is always my go to drone because you can’t beat the image quality but the Air 2 has a longer flight time, has HDR video and is a great loaner or backup drone. I dangle a 360 camera beneath it to get a unique perspective without risking my Air 2S
… just in case.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Scav8tor