DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Keeping batteries fully charged at all time

Do the batteries (M2Z in my case), add to the 'charge count tally' every time they are connected to the charger, or only if they are charged past a certain level ?

If you can get your hands on one of these…you’re good. I purchased one for my MP3 Pro 👍

🇨🇦👍View attachment 159595
I've had this 6 in 1, but it only puts out 2 amps per battery, so it's very slow. The 5 in 1 puts out 4 amps per battery, so is twice as fast, and the same time as the DJI charger (about 90 minutes). The devil's in the details.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2023-01-21 at 9.44.16 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2023-01-21 at 9.44.16 AM.png
    401.1 KB · Views: 4
Last edited:
I will charge my Air2s batteries and if I don’t fly that week, I’ll use the adapter and use the charged battery to recharge up my family’s iPhone and iPads. My thinking is this will keep the batteries healthier than letting them sit fill or empty….
If this is bad please I’m open to suggestions..

I often have to use Mavic 3 on short notice and don't have chance to keep them at 50% charge. If I keep them fully charged
at all times does this severely kill longevity? What do you do when you need to keep batteries topped up for quick deployment?
After years of flying I can say that the recommendations for 50-60% storage capacity is spot on. All my batteries are doing great. But this is for long-term storage. If you're flying several times a week, I would speculate that 100% charge for a few days is not doing harm. But don't quote me on that. It will be interesting to hear your experience in this regard.

D

All of the newer DJI quads will auto discharge the battery to storage level after a time of 1-10 days which is set in the app, so yes you can fully charge them and let the auto discharge function kick in, from what i know the mini 2 batteries are set to discharge after 14 days or so, but you cant change that in the app unlike other quads.

As for flying to zero, seems to be a bit of a mixed reply, as a flyer of over 9 years i repeatedly flew my phantoms, Mavics and now my Mini 2 down to zero, and have noticed no ill effect, in fact one of my original P2 batteries lasted for 110 cycles before finally one of the cells went out of line, in fact | still have Mavic Pro batteries that have 99 plus charges on them with no ill effects.

I have a bad habit of after every flight , I leave my batteries to cool down for an hour or so then fully charge them and keep them away. When I want to fly, they are normal down to the 3rd or 4th light flashing so I top them off to 100% then fly. I occasionally, maybe once every 3 or 4 months fly them to 2% and let it cool off for 2 hours before charging again. I have been doing this since I got the Dji Spark when it first launched and never once had an issue with bloating batteries even in my original Mavic Pro or Mavic 2 drones which lasted for more than 230 cycles each before I sold them.

Many will disagree with my method but it has worked for me for many years without 1 battery issue.
This is exactly what I do and have never had a battery issue on any of my aircraft.

Reactions: Suren
You could store just one battery at full charge, ready to fly, with the others at 60% and charge those en route or whilst flying with the first battery. Then cycle them round so another battery gets the 100% duty for that week/month. Keeps battery wear down and you are always good for at least one flight at any moment.

Reactions: GadgetGuy
You could store just one battery at full charge, ready to fly, with the others at 60% and charge those en route or whilst flying with the first battery. Then cycle them round so another battery gets the 100% duty for that week/month. Keeps battery wear down and you are always good for at least one flight at any moment.
Exactly!

I just acquired one of these.

For $42, it's the Mavic 3 battery reader I have been looking for!
No more putting every battery serially into the drone, booting it up, and connecting it to the RCPro, just to find our what the current battery percentage is before loading up batteries for trip! It displays the battery charge percentage, mAh, voltage, temperature, and number of charge cycles of every battery inserted! In the field, when away from AC power, it is powered by turning on any one of the three batteries mounted on it. At home, it can also be powered by plugging it into the Mavic 3 65W charger, where it's also a hub to charge three batteries serially, just like the $89 DJI Hub. Best of all, it also has a 60% storage setting.

Nowhere else have I been able to see the actual mAh of each Mavic 3 battery when fully charged. DJI used to display battery mAh in the GO 4 app, but removed it around the release of the Mavic 2. It's the only effective way to quantify the degradation of each battery.

Now yours for only $42!
Get one! Highly recommended!

56D01EDF-3AFF-4E63-B3EC-28BE35252D1E.png
84E43E68-4F04-44AE-A1B4-9C6731285D93.png

Last edited:
Reading material. Check the number 5 paragraph.
"For emergency responders and other users who require batteries to always be at 100%, it must be understood that this will negatively affect the life and performance of lithium-ion batteries. When a battery is at 100% it places stress onto the cells, and this continual stress on the cells will accelerate the decrease in the batteries’ capacity and operational life cycle."

"We understand some operators such as public safety agencies are required to maintain their drones and batteries in ‘ready to fly’ condition at all times but do encourage teams to explore options for charging in the field to potentially allow the storage of some batteries at 60% instead of 100%. If the decision is made to keep a battery at 100%, it can be stopped from discharging by pressing the power button on the battery. This causes the battery to exit the idle state and resets the time to battery self-discharge to the previously defined time period i.e. 10 days."

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
peehead