DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Keeping battery in drone while in case

Magic mini batteries do not self discharge, and to my knowledge, do not have an on/off feature. They are not quite as intelligent as other DJI batteries.
That said, if there is no parasitic draw, should be safe.
Page 20 of the manual: The Mavic Mini Intelligent Flight Battery cannot discharge automatically. If the battery will not be used for more than 10 days, it is recommended to discharge the battery manually until the battery level is between 39% and 75%.
Has anyone found a charging unit that has the option to discharge also ?
Or, a standalone discharge unit ?

Has anyone found a charging unit that has the option to discharge also ?
Or, a standalone discharge unit ?
Yes... Hanatora. It will discharge to 50%, charge to 50%, and charge full, quick too... 4 batteries from 20-20% to 100% in about 90 minutes. Not as fast in the car, but works there....
Love mine

Yes... Hanatora. It will discharge to 50%, charge to 50%, and charge full, quick too... 4 batteries from 20-20% to 100% in about 90 minutes. Not as fast in the car, but works there....
Love mine
Please, could you provide us a web link ?

Reactions: vij127
I too keep a battery in my mini drone and luckily I have had no problems [emoji846][emoji106]

I performed several google searchs, founded lot of Hanatora chargers references, but none of them capable to discharge at 50%...
Interesting. Mine for the M2P or Zoom will charge (4 batteries in about 90-120 min), charge to 50%, or discharge to 50%. Guess not so capable for the mini.sorry to have mislead you

Reactions: raulmavic
While I think that it is relatively safe to do so, there have been some spectacular fires from lithium ion batteries. For this reason I store my batteries in fire resistant pouches which I put into an ammo box for extra security.

I also leave my battery in my MP2 while storing it in the case. I keep it in, either full or discharged, because I think of it keeping the battery compartment clean, from dust settling on the contacts. This coming March will be 2 years with this fantastic drone.

Reactions: Thomas B
I would not keep batteries in a case or on a drone in the case. I had a DJI battery that had maybe 50 charges or less on it and less than 8mos old in my case recently with 2 others and the drone. opened to top the batteries for the days flights to find one was hot. it showed 3/4 full and i thought was discharging automatically, but also looked at the back of it, the case was bulging with gas indicating a bad battery for one of many reasons.

so I dont know how long if at all this would have kept heating up and light, but it was hot to touch and about 100degrees on my temp gun.

if it lit it would have 2 other buddies in there to fire up burn the case and the inside of my airstream down....

so best practices are still valid, keep your batteries safely stored in lipo bags or firebox...

I use to keep my Battery in all time till a few months ago I went out to take some pictures and when I got there the battery was turned on. I know this is almost impossible but it happen some how. Now I leave the battery out till I need it.

Using a large (but drained) battery pack works great for discharging the mini batteries down to the storage voltage. No self discharging heat to worry about that's for sure.

Thanks for the parasitic draw comments, makes my ocd feel better lol. Kinda glad that aren't smart batteries. Just good quality reliable cells!
What do u mean with a large but drained battery pack?

What do u mean with a large but drained battery pack?
Pretty sure they're talking about a power bank, the kind that you use to keep your phone battery topped up when it needs more than the built-in battery can provide. If you have one partially full, you can use the adapters for your drone batteries to USB output (not necessarily included; in the Mavic Mini's case, it's the case that holds three batteries, included in the Fly More combo but not the basic drone package) to charge up the power bank, draining the drone battery/ies somewhat.

Pretty sure they're talking about a power bank, the kind that you use to keep your phone battery topped up when it needs more than the built-in battery can provide. If you have one partially full, you can use the adapters for your drone batteries to USB output (not necessarily included; in the Mavic Mini's case, it's the case that holds three batteries, included in the Fly More combo but not the basic drone package) to charge up the power bank, draining the drone battery/ies somewhat.
Oh, I see. I didn't thought of that (despite having the combo pack). Thanks for the tip!

I’ve been an RC enthusiast for decades and had too many batteries cause unexpected problems. I recently left two 2S lipos plugged into my ERevo and forgot about it for a week or two. The RC was turned off, still depleted the batteries. One battery recovered, the other is a dead paper weight now, $65 down the tube. If your transporting and using the drone by all means have the battery plugged in and ready to go ??. But once you get home post flight, I suggest never store your battery in the drone.

In my experience the lithium based batteries do not have the problem of "leaching" like other types of batteries. As for parasitic draw, to my knowledge all batteries will lose their charge over time and should be charged at least every few months when stored. I have always left batteries in my devices and I have never had a problem, except for alkaline type. What does Mavic recommend? Here is their answer.

I hope this helps.

Reactions: Ronny St.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CorvusWorks