DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Keeping MA1

Starhawk

Reactions
Hey so I just got the MA2 and I absolutely love it! My question to my fellow pilots is:

Would you keep the MA1 if you had the MA2? If you were to keep it, would you just store the MA1 and keep it as a back up drone? I love my MA1 but the MA2 does everything the MA1 does and much more.

Interested to see what you all think!

I sold my MA1 right after I ordered my MA2. The only reason I would keep a MA1 is if you need the super compact size. I miss the pocketablity. But the crazy long flight times and the bonkers range makes up for it.

Reactions: NAVMAV
Awesome thanks man. I'll start a new thread offering it up. I have 5 batteries, prop guards, a DACKIT carrying case and everything. I haven't flown the MA1 more than 30 times so its in very good condition along with the controller and accessories. Hopefully I can find a good home for it.

I've seen YouTube videos where the range of the Air2 is really disappointing. Also the fact that you can't use the Go Fly app and that it's not possible to adjust some sensitivity settings..
I've upgraded my Air by installing bigger antennas and it's now possible to fly at least 3 km near urban areas. More important is that the connection is much more stable than with the original antennas. The only downside is the limited flight time, but since I have 4 batteries that's not really a problem.

I've seen YouTube videos where the range of the Air2 is really disappointing. Also the fact that you can't use the Go Fly app and that it's not possible to adjust some sensitivity settings..
I've upgraded my Air by installing bigger antennas and it's now possible to fly at least 3 km near urban areas. More important is that the connection is much more stable than with the original antennas. The only downside is the limited flight time, but since I have 4 batteries that's not really a problem.
Yeah no doubt. Like the MA1, the environment can greatly impact the range and connectivity of the MA2. I myself have flown my MA2 out 2-3 miles and for me that's good enough. I'm also thinking of keeping my MA1 as a backup incase I crash my MA2 has to get repairs. I love both drones. I have no issues with my MA1. Flight time doesn't bother me because I have 5 batteries. I've flown my MA1 in different countries so maybe I'm more attached to it than I realize. Still though, my MA2 is my top drone.

Reactions: Skywalker
The air 1 has real advantages for traveling lightly. I intend to keep it for that, and use the higher quality images from the P4 adv when size and weight are not as big of an issue.

MA2 does everything the MA1 does and much more.

Does it? I thought it was missing the following from the original Air?

- Tap to fly (can't believe they left this out)
- Gesture control
- Phone only control

Three features I find really useful. I like to film myself cycling, and gesture control is really handy. I don't need a remote, or my phone - it's all automatic.

Send me a message with what your selling and what you want for it. I have a friend who might want it.

Does it? I thought it was missing the following from the original Air?

- Tap to fly (can't believe they left this out)
- Gesture control
- Phone only control

Three features I find really useful. I like to film myself cycling, and gesture control is really handy. I don't need a remote, or my phone - it's all automatic.
Fair point. I never had any use for the 3 features listed because (1) I like to manually takeoff and fly the drone, (2) flying with the phone without the controller seems inherently unsafe (due to flyaways and connectivity) and unnecessary if I have the controller handy and ready to use.

Also, I remember the gesture control just not being very popular which may explain why they’ve left that feature out the newer model Mavics.

So for me and the manner in which I use the MA1, yes MA2 expounds on the MA1 and surpasses in other ways.

Last edited:
Reactions: dawgpilot
Fair point. I never had any use for the 3 features listed because (1) I like to manually takeoff and fly the drone, (2) flying with the phone without seems inherently unsafe (due to flyaways and connectivity) and unnecessary if I have the controller handy and ready to use.

Also, I remember the gesture control just not being very popular which may explain why they’ve left that feature out the newer model Mavics.

So for me and the manner in which I use the MA1, yes MA2 expounds on the MA1 and surpasses in other ways.

They’re great features for cycling. I’ve had my Air since launch, and only just started using them recently.
Tap fly is great. I use it a lot for work.

They’re great features for cycling. I’ve had my Air since launch, and only just started using them recently.
Tap fly is great. I use it a lot for work.
Have you heard of the Skydio drone? I just looked into it today. Apparently it’s an excellent intelligent drone that supposedly has the best active track performance on the market.

Have you heard of the Skydio drone? I just looked into it today. Apparently it’s an excellent intelligent drone that supposedly has the best active track performance on the market.
It’s huge though compare to the original Air. Not ideal for a cycling bag. Also, only a available in the US.

I suspect a few of the people complaining about the MA2 range didn’t check their settings. Like me. I changed it from the default of 2.4 to Auto and that did it.You’ll always have issues depending on the environment so it’s not like Ocusync is some magical panacea that ignores other radio waves. But it does do as good of a job as it can.

Having four batteries isn’t a solution to short flight times. It means less time to get the shot as you are always bring down the drone to swap batteries. now I can do a 20 minute Hyperlapse and still have time to take off, fly around and land.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Philip Chura