Keeping Mavic batteries warm in cold weather flight.

Discussion in 'Mavic Pro Help' started by Sideeye, Jan 13, 2017.

1. Sideeye

Sideeye Active Member

I don't know if this has been posted before but I thought it would be good for Mavic flyers who like to fly in cold weather. TIP , How to keep batteries warm. The bottom of battery already gets warm from the heat sink at the bottom when turned on. On the top of the battery just buy a box of hand warmer packets from Walmart and fasten one on top of battery pack, it looks like a little flat bean bag. It's a simple solution and could save big money. They last for some time and also acts like a insulator as well. The cold slows down the chemical reaction process and effectiveness performance of the battery, (less flight times) Have a good day. My2cents.

#1 Sideeye, Jan 13, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 13, 2017
    KiterTodd and deltalimatango like this.
  2. deltalimatango

deltalimatango Well-Known Member

Spot on. I had 3 batteries fail (they got cold) on me in Norway while shooting auroras. I had to remove the batteries, put them inside my pockets and wait a bit for them to warm up again before they would work. It was only -27C outside. :)

3. Advexure

Advexure Well-Known Member
    Approved Vendor

4. Mavic_Ward

Mavic_Ward Well-Known Member

I thought about getting a fishing vest and putting my batteries in the pockets. I'd keep the vest on my body under my regular cold weather coat. Your body heat should keep the batteries warm enough.

Sideeye likes this.
  5. Anthony Viscomi

Anthony Viscomi Well-Known Member

Only -27 (-16 F)...lol

halley likes this.
  6. KiterTodd

KiterTodd Well-Known Member

Thanks! That thread has some great tips. I had not even considered there would be an issue and am heading to Colorado in a few weeks. Was hoping to bring the Mavic. Sounds like I'm good to go! Doesn't sound like people even need the hand warmers as long as you don't start with cold batteries.

One guy mentioned keeping the batteries in LiPo Safe pouches when he puts them in his jacket. Does anyone else do this? Or keep them in the pouches at all?

I do know a few folks who have had issues with LiPo batteries but it has always been with "cheap" hobby batteries that I suspect aren't well balanced and may have poor charge circuitry. I was kind of hoping the Mavic fell in the category of quality products that rarely have an issue (like laptop batteries and such).

That quote is from this article.

I looked at discharge curves for lipos and 3.2V seems pretty well into the "knee" before the steep drop-off. Would you let it go that low? I haven't been using the voltage readout yet so I'm not sure what it goes down to when the battery is 30% or so.

#6 KiterTodd, Jan 23, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 23, 2017
  7. whoreable

whoreable Well-Known Member

Setup your C1 or C2 buttons for Battery Info in cold flights, check that every few minutes and look for all 3 Red bars, if you see that, you better be ready to land it or have it auto land on you.

maikm likes this.
  8. WolfgangStiller

WolfgangStiller Well-Known Member

I live and fly in Colorado and as long as the battery is warm before I start, I am golden. The battery warms itself as you fly. I have flown to 8F with no issues but based on the battery temp chart from my flight from healthydrones (it got warmer as it flew), I am sure we can go much colder than that with no special mods to the battery or Mavic.

KiterTodd likes this.
  9. KiterTodd

Thanks, Wolfgang, that's great info.

What is your controller (phone/tablet) of choice and have you had to do anything to keep that operating in cold temps? Again, just want to prepare for a trip...

10. WolfgangStiller

I use an iPhone6 and it works fine in cold temps except the batteries drain very rapidly. I have started always with 100% charge and then attached an adhesive body warmer (set of 40 bought for $30 on amazon) to the iPhone. This eliminates the cold temp quick capacity loss.

KiterTodd likes this.
  11. whoreable

whoreable Well-Known Member

This advice does not apply once you get to -0, the mavic cannot maintain heat, it will slowly drop the batterys temp. In -45F it lost about 1F every minute.

maikm likes this.
  12. deltalimatango

Actually, had you used the search feature, you would have seen that it has been discussed quite a bit with very similar suggestions. In fact, I too use some of the tips you mentioned and have even commented on it myself.

13. SoapyGolem

SoapyGolem Well-Known Member

What is considered cold? The coldest it gets where I live is about 32F to 42F, or are we talking about negative temperatures?

14. deltalimatango

For where I am, the coldest it has been is -23 C or -9.4 F.

Sent from my iPhone using MavicPilots

15. WolfgangStiller

Have you flown at -23c?

16. WolfgangStiller

Good information. Thanks! I haven't flown down to 0F. I wonder if a stick-on body warmer such as suggested for keeping the iPHone warm would extend the temperature range further down.

17. KiterTodd

Sideeye, thanks for posting this! Great suggestion and info to share as we're in Winter and several of us have new Mavics we're itching to fly now that DJI is shipping them out regularly. Thumbswayup

18. Sideeye

Sideeye Active Member

I took it out today in -3 deg **** cold and it worked great. I flew it for 1 1/2 hours in this weather and had no issues. I am in the testing stages of building a off grid pack charging system for Droner's who want to get out and play for awhile with out running to there car to charge there stuff.

19. Sideeye

Sideeye Active Member

I had my chance today but it was only -3 deg, but worked fine with no battery alarm.

20. Sideeye

Sideeye Active Member

yes and I have seen guys flying them in -22 on youtube.