DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Keeping Mavic batteries warm in cold weather flight.

This advice does not apply once you get to -0, the mavic cannot maintain heat, it will slowly drop the batterys temp. In -45F it lost about 1F every minute.
Well I did some testing and did 1 1/2 of constant flying with no battery alarm in -3 deg and colder . The bottom of battery is already warm from the heatsink and circuit area under battery. I was getting approx 65 - 70 deg on my thermo tool. The battery will notify you when it gets to cold for flight. The performance of all batteries drops drastically at low temperatures; however, the elevated internal resistance will cause some warming effect because of efficiency loss during use. A insulated cover or a heat pack work good as far is my testing.

Thanks! That thread has some great tips. I had not even considered there would be an issue and am heading to Colorado in a few weeks. Was hoping to bring the Mavic. Sounds like I'm good to go! Doesn't sound like people even need the hand warmers as long as you don't start with cold batteries.

One guy mentioned keeping the batteries in LiPo Safe pouches when he puts them in his jacket. Does anyone else do this? Or keep them in the pouches at all?

I do know a few folks who have had issues with LiPo batteries but it has always been with "cheap" hobby batteries that I suspect aren't well balanced and may have poor charge circuitry. I was kind of hoping the Mavic fell in the category of quality products that rarely have an issue (like laptop batteries and such).

That quote is from this article.

I looked at discharge curves for lipos and 3.2V seems pretty well into the "knee" before the steep drop-off. Would you let it go that low? I haven't been using the voltage readout yet so I'm not sure what it goes down to when the battery is 30% or so.
Each manufacture has a spec on there batteries so i would look at there charts. Engineers go by the book and don't really get out and street test these things. But hay we are not scientist just want to fly right!

I have a question about charging today.

I pulled my Mavic case out of the truck and brought inside. Put my three batteries on the 4 position charging hub. The hub light started initially green and each battery started to flash the LED1 2 times pause and then repeat. I don't see this documented anywhere.

Outside Temps were 15F last night. Wondering if this is a Protection mode to prevent charging until the batteries warm up?

Anyone know.

Sent from my SM-T713 using MavicPilots mobile app

I have a question about charging today.

I pulled my Mavic case out of the truck and brought inside. Put my three batteries on the 4 position charging hub. The hub light started initially green and each battery started to flash the LED1 2 times pause and then repeat. I don't see this documented anywhere.

Outside Temps were 15F last night. Wondering if this is a Protection mode to prevent charging until the batteries warm up?

Anyone know.

Ignore the previous - just realized I was counting LED positions from the wrong end. It's LED4 that blinking twice and it's cold temp charging issue.

Ignore the previous - just realized I was counting LED positions from the wrong end. It's LED4 that blinking twice and it's cold temp charging issue.

Ya bud, they don't like to charge in cold. I have been working with off the grid stuff for these drones to help people have fun. I used the hand warmer pack and it seems to work good. Always let the drone warm up for at least 2 minutes when you activate the battery switch to turn on drone. So let it sit there before you fly, it will warm the electronics and lower part of the battery. I want to post photos on here but don't know how. It wants some kind of link. Maybe use my youtube account. I will be posting photos of my new project. "out in the field charging station"

Hi everyone.
Thanks for your tips. I use Zippo Refillable Hand Warmers and it's the best for me for now. But you can find hand warmers for sale and choose the best one for you.
If you need any tips or help just contact me.
Best wishes.

Last edited:
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
refrigasketscanada