DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Keeping track of batteries

Gratton

Reactions
I tried searching but found posts on Active Track.

I've got the number stickers on my batteries so I can tell them apart and use them in order. My problem is remembering the last battery I used the last time I flew.

I've been putting the battery i should start with next in the leftmost slot in my Fly More charger but that involves extra removing and inserting of batteries. I've considered a reusable sticker on the next battery but figure it'll start falling off before long.

Maybe I'm overthinking this but I'd like to know how you folks are keeping track.

Thanks,
Mikeg

Attachments

• 1599312889747.png
    1599312889747.png
    3.7 MB · Views: 104
I use a sharpie to write on each battery and simply number them I, II, III, IV
Then always just use the next one in the sequence.

When I get home and need to charge several I swap in the next full battery, or if they all need charging I just make a note on a scrap of paper and leave it in the battery compartment.

its quite simple really i have 4 btts for each drone so i always start with no1,2,3,4,if for some reason i dont get to fly them all on the same outing ,say because of a weather change or some other issue then i put the next battery that would have been flown in the drone ready for flight say it was No 4 then i know that the next battery to go will be No1 then 2 and so on as long as you leave the next Number in the drone ,even if you have to discharge it for storage then no matter what No it is ,it is then just a matter of following the sequence

its quite simple really i have 4 btts for each drone so i always start with no1,2,3,4,if for some reason i dont get to fly them all on the same outing ,say because of a weather change or some other issue then i put the next battery that would have been flown in the drone ready for flight say it was No 4 then i know that the next battery to go will be No1 then 2 and so on as long as you leave the next Number in the drone ,even if you have to discharge it for storage then no matter what No it is ,it is then just a matter of following the sequence

Putting the next battery in the drone sounds like a simple idea. That may be the winner unless somebody comes up with a better suggestion. I hadn't thought of that.

Thanks,
MikeG

Crude but effective, a label on each battery on which you make a mark each time it is charged, arrang the marks in groups of 4 with 5 being a strike through. ( like in the movies where a prisoner is counting days by making marks on the wall of their cell)
That or keep a log book of battery usage.

I've got the number stickers on my batteries so I can tell them apart and use them in order. My problem is remembering the last battery I used the last time I flew.

I've been putting the battery i should start with next in the leftmost slot in my Fly More charger but that involves extra removing and inserting of batteries. I've considered a reusable sticker on the next battery but figure it'll start falling off before long.

Maybe I'm overthinking this but I'd like to know how you folks are keeping track.

Thanks,
Mikeg
I numbered my batteries on the Air 2, because I could. TBH I have never bothered keeping track of batteries in the past, pre smart technology. I don't bother now either.
Simples. No stressing Brain cells. Max flying enjoyment. I'm with OMM on this.

Putting the next battery in the drone sounds like a simple idea. That may be the winner unless somebody comes up with a better suggestion. I hadn't thought of that.

Thanks,
MikeG
just to add before someone says what if all 4 are used ,then exactly the same thing happens batt No4 last one flown stays in the drone ,so i know that No1 is the next batt in the series
you maybe will be thinking why not just do that anyway ,ie leave the last used battery in the drone ,well i have found that its better to put the next charged battery in the drone because sometimes you can be in a position to fly later that day, or even the next day and then you know that the battery in the drone is ready to go first,once you get a system that works for you ,it becomes second nature

Two questions, is anyone concerned that leaving a battery stored in the drone would damage the drone if swelling should occur?
If all batteries (I have 4) are charged and you dertimine that you will not be flying in the next week or two, do you discharge the batteries to a stotage level? If so, how does one discharge the 4 batteries?
This brings up a question, how do you remain ”Ready to fly” if the batteries are being kept at the storage level?

The Lipo smart batteries will discharge themselves. The Lithium Ion batteries slowly discharge, as used in the mini, Lithium Ion are used in your mobile device etc. I don't worry about having a fully charged phone in my pocket. Maybe I'm wrong.?

Reactions: Malcx
for long term storage i would remove the battery from the drone and store it safely in a dry cool location
in the UK we dont get so many swelling problems as our temps do not get as hot as other locations, we get very few really hot days
i have never had any of my batteries swell ,lipos are perfectly safe if handled correctly ,and are at their most potent when fully charged
the problems arise when extreme heat or damage is applied to them, cold does not really hurt them ,it just reduces the lipos chemical reaction from working properly so it cant produce as much current for as long as normal causing a reduced flight time
to me lipos are like electricity treat it and them with respect and they will serve you well ,become complacent and the result will not be pleasant

Reactions: SkyeHigh
I use the rotation method also. It's easy with only 3 batteries. One in the MM and two in the charger. I also keep all batteries fully charged.
It's rare that I go over two days without draining at least one. I've only had the MM for about two months now, so the "newness" hasn't worn off.
106 flights and 15.3 hours so far.

Why does it matter to use them equally? And If you need to know, didn't I read somewhere that you can view the hours used in the program? I'm sure I read that about the original Mavic, I haven't use my Air2 enough yet to worry about it.

Reactions: MaverickMavicMark

Thanks,
Mikeg
It is easy to check the number of charge cycles on each battery if you are uploading your flights to Air Data. Just click on any of your latest flights and go to the power section then click on battery info.

Why does it matter to use them equally? And If you need to know, didn't I read somewhere that you can view the hours used in the program? I'm sure I read that about the original Mavic, I haven't use my Air2 enough yet to worry about it.

If I always use them in the same order, #1 would be used much more than #3 and would wear out sooner.

Reactions: MaverickMavicMark
I have my 5 p4 batteries and 3 MA2 batteries numbered with labels.

I’ll plug them in To the drones 1-2 times a month and view the charge count from the DJI app. Then update the charge counts into a excel log on my ipad.

Before I go fly I arrange the batteries in my case according to number of charges least to most, ensuring the batts with lower cycles go first.

I have mine maked 1 2 3 and the last two digits of the serial number. I use AirData. It shows cycles and the serial number. very cheap and easy way to keep track of nearly all things concerning every flight.

Reactions: zzxrox
I have my batteries marked as 1/2/3 and I note the sequence of batteries used in my flight log. I can then start on the next number for the next flight. Usually I fly all 3 so it doesn’t matter, but I’m thinking about going out on my lunch break and flying 1 battery when I’m back working at my office, so I’ll get some use out of my system then.

Cant you just flip the battery over in the case after you use it? Also what was said above, use Airdata. Seems easy enough anyway.

Mine are labeled 1,2 &3 and after I use one, I turn it upside down in the case so that I can see it has been used until I recharge it. Like OMM, I leave the next one in turn in the drone, if I'm charging all three, it's not too difficult to make a mental note of the next one in line and put that one in the drone after charging.

Reactions: zzxrox
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Claybird