DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Keeping track of batteries

I tried searching but found posts on Active Track.

I've got the number stickers on my batteries so I can tell them apart and use them in order. My problem is remembering the last battery I used the last time I flew.

I've been putting the battery i should start with next in the leftmost slot in my Fly More charger but that involves extra removing and inserting of batteries. I've considered a reusable sticker on the next battery but figure it'll start falling off before long.

Maybe I'm overthinking this but I'd like to know how you folks are keeping track.

Thanks,
Mikeg
I have the same problem. It looks like I will need to keep a written chart showing which battery was used "when" and for "how long".

I rarely fly without using all 3 of my batteries. When it does happen, the next flight will use all 3, so one will end up having a few more charges on it anyway. Not concerned about it, so keeping exact track of how many charges each has is more trouble than it's worth to me. As long as I keep charging them all together, the charge count is within a couple of each other. If I do use less than 3, I try to make sure the one(s) that didn't fly get used first, but like I said, I rarely go out and use less than all 3.

Reactions: zzxrox
OK, this is probably heretical, but I don't worry about it. I have three batteries, all bought new at the same time. They all look the same, and are used or more less randomly. The laws or probability state that over time, usage should be similar across all three. This system will of course break down when I have to retire a battery and/or buy a new one, so I'll pay more attention to the issue then.

OK, this is probably heretical, but I don't worry about it. I have three batteries, all bought new at the same time. They all look the same, and are used or more less randomly. The laws or probability state that over time, usage should be similar across all three. This system will of course break down when I have to retire a battery and/or buy a new one, so I'll pay more attention to the issue then.
as you say they all look the same so that is the main reason for numbering them so you can tell them apart ,not just to know which one is next in line it makes sense to know their usage as they do have a limited life span based on how the are looked after ,

as you say they all look the same so that is the main reason for numbering them so you can tell them apart ,not just to know which one is next in line it makes sense to know their usage as they do have a limited life span based on how the are looked after ,
But my point was, if they are used randomly, over time they will all have roughly the same usage.

I rarely fly without using all 3 of my batteries. When it does happen, the next flight will use all 3, so one will end up having a few more charges on it anyway. Not concerned about it, so keeping exact track of how many charges each has is more trouble than it's worth to me. As long as I keep charging them all together, the charge count is within a couple of each other. If I do use less than 3, I try to make sure the one(s) that didn't fly get used first, but like I said, I rarely go out and use less than all 3.
What kind of flying do you do that allows you to exchange batteries and use all three at one time?

Mavic 2 Pro. Batteries 1,2,3,4, used in order. I keep a fine point Sharpie magic marker with my charger, and place a hash mark on the battery face nearest the socket to keep easy track of how many charge cycles the battery has on it. I also mark the last 4 characters of the batteries serial number near the 1,2,3,4 so when I do look at my AirData logs, I can ID which of the 4 the log is referring to. I keep an eye on the battery cell deviations in the AirData logs also.
Happy Flying!

But my point was, if they are used randomly, over time they will all have roughly the same usage.
If enough of us randomly do that, then statistically it is likely there will be batteries that never get used.

I've got the number stickers on my batteries so I can tell them apart and use them in order. My problem is remembering the last battery I used the last time I flew.

I've been putting the battery i should start with next in the leftmost slot in my Fly More charger but that involves extra removing and inserting of batteries. I've considered a reusable sticker on the next battery but figure it'll start falling off before long.

Maybe I'm overthinking this but I'd like to know how you folks are keeping track.

Thanks,
Mikeg
Wow you all have to much time on your hands?

Thanks,
Mikeg
Hi, I have numbered my 3 batteries underneath with a permanent marker from 1 to 3. So I just always move on to the next highest number, and from 3 to 1.

Who doesn't change their mind? I look at it like this. If I'm going to cut a few boards or drill a few holes I'll probably put one of my worst batteries in. If I'm just flying around with no particular objective I'll use my worst battery. I don't want 3 batteries that are only good for 15 or 20 min. That's the way I look at it.
I had to have a heart to heart conversation with my wife. I bought some hard to find made in USA long towels and wash cloths. I was taking a shower and needed a clean wash cloth so I looked on the shelf and there was 15 yellow used wash clothes. What the heck? Then I looked in the cubert to see all my towels in used condition. I like to get a new towel out once in a while, a new pair of blue jeans, a shirt. Which are all made in USA and hard to find. (I do what I can). Bottom line, I want a GOOD battery on occasion. Say I have friends over and have to keep landing to change and charge batteries. Doesn't look good for a show of the Air2 does it? Someone tell me the error of my ways.

I have mine marked 1,2,3, like old man Mavic does. Keep them in rotation, fly at least once a week. I always use them from left to right. The last one used is inside a safety case, every body develops their own system, what ever works for them, so, right now have #1 in a fire proof case, #2, I just used, sitting next to my drone with 25% charge. So, that tells me #3 is next to charge up, and if want to fly longer I charge up #1. Works for me, like I said, what ever works for you. Important thing is to rotate the batteries, and, to keep my women happy, I always keep battery in a safe fire proof place.

Reactions: RobertR
In addition to labelling the batteries, I use them sequentially. So the only thing I need to remember is which one to use next. So if #2 is next, then I will use 2, 3, 1 in that order. I store my batteries in individual lipo battery bags (see here). I tie a little ribbon to the one that should be used next. So that's how I keep track of it.

If I always use them in the same order, #1 would be used much more than #3 and would wear out sooner.
So what? If you use them equally and they're wore down to say 10- 15 min flight time what do you do when you want to go for a long flight? Go buy a new battery? If you do that you're back in the same boat having batteries that are not equal, right?

Thanks,
Mikeg
D

So what? If you use them equally and they're wore down to say 10- 15 min flight time what do you do when you want to go for a long flight? Go buy a new battery? If you do that you're back in the same boat having batteries that are not equal, right?
After 2 years of using my nine batteries in sequential rotation and at least 150 flights on each battery my battery time still runs 21-23 minutes on a full charge on an average day with winds < 12-15mph at surface.

It is easy to check the number of charge cycles on each battery if you are uploading your flights to Air Data. Just click on any of your latest flights and go to the power section then click on battery info.
Yes, Air Data is worth the small monthly charge.

Reactions: Jeff A
After 2 years of using my nine batteries in sequential rotation and at least 150 flights on each battery my battery time still runs 21-23 minutes on a full charge on an average day with winds < 12-15mph at surface.
Again what are you going to do when they're down to 10- 15 min per flight? Throw them away and buy 3 new ones? Buy 1- 3 new ones to supplement? Now you have a house of unequal batteries. I don't want my batteries to be equal.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
boonaga