DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Ken Heron claims RID is cancelled - For Now...

As a software developer who had to deal with the Y2K issue, it was more fear than an actual problem, so that analogy is pretty valid.

Not to be too off topic, but as another software developer who had to deal with the Y2K issue, I would strongly disagree with your assessment. I dealt with several very critical issues that if they had not been dealt with would have caused significant issues for a large number of people. I think Y2K was not an issue due to all the hard work then went into making sure it was NOT an issue.

On the topic of RID requirements being delayed, it doesn't surprise me too much.

Don't forget, RC planes and helicopters also must have RID. That alone greatly increases the demand on a grand scale.
I just ordered the Spektrum RID module for my fixed wings. You are absolutely right though, there are thousands of RC planes and helicopters that will require RID modules. Not all of my RC fields have been granted FRIA status yet.

Reactions: Cafguy
I don't get a say in the matter but to me, the better answer is to get rid of broadcast modules, grandfather in the older drones with no RID, continue with the standard RID requirement to manufacturers, wait a few extra 10 years for the system to fix itself eventually. Way better for the FAA to tell the manufacturers what to do rather than telling the people what to do and getting the free market involved.
This is very reasonable. Also, even if the FAA grandfathered in many drones and RC aircraft, most of them will be out of circulation in just a few years.

I just ordered the Spektrum RID module for my fixed wings. You are absolutely right though, there are thousands of RC planes and helicopters that will require RID modules. Not all of my RC fields have been granted FRIA status yet.
None of ours here have been granted status yet either

Reactions: Torque
There are many people who build their own drones, like the majority of the FPV racing pilots and cinewhoop photographers, they will require broadcast modules. Grandfathering in older drones leaves a big loophole for people who have nefarious intentions, IMO.
People who are building drones for "nefarious intentions" would never install a RID module. That would be like robbing a bank and giving out business cards that had your name and home address on them. You can't worry about them, RID is intended to identify the people interfering with emergency response operations. Or the cinewhoop operators who fly in places that cause problems.

People who are building drones for "nefarious intentions" would never install a RID module. That would be like robbing a bank and giving out business cards that had your name and home address on them. You can't worry about them, RID is intended to identify the people interfering with emergency response operations. Or the cinewhoop operators who fly in places that cause problems.
Leaving a loophole where DJI drones of a certain age are not required to have a RID module allows THOSE drones to be used without the ability to be traced. I didn't mean to imply that people who build their own drones were using them illegally. Of course, a DIYer would not install a RID module if they didn't want to be ID'd however! "Nefarious" may have been a little strong.
If they do grandfather in older models, the resale value of mine will probably increase. I'm good with that.

Reactions: Capt KO
Leaving a loophole where DJI drones of a certain age are not required to have a RID module allows THOSE drones to be used without the ability to be traced. I didn't mean to imply that people who build their own drones were using them illegally. Of course, a DIYer would not install a RID module if they didn't want to be ID'd however! "Nefarious" may have been a little strong.
If they do grandfather in older models, the resale value of mine will probably increase. I'm good with that.
Well, they left the sub-250g drones designed for recreational use only wide open so there's that. But I guess those type of drones are not used for nefarious intent? Will the emergency services get called off if a Mini 2 is spotted over the wildfire? Because it's almost guaranteed under the old system or the new system that a Mini 2 will never ever transmit RID. Trying to cover a bunch of ancient drones which are on their last legs while leaving the door open for millions of newer lightweight longer range, quieter better camera more sophisticated modern 250g micro drones....now that's a *loophole*. 🤣

Sure feels like it though:

I think mr bystanders mistake was being too close to the intersection he was videoing. If he had been a mile away, the cops probably wouldn't of found him. Once the police accuse you of doing something wrong, they're usally not going to admit they were wrong. Moral of the story. Avoid police confrontations at all costs.

Sure feels like it though:
Hogwash
That video can't be believed or taken seriously as it's by a so-called "1st amendment auditor".
These idiots don't audit anything.
They go out of their way to create confrontation with police or officials, film the conflict they create and post it on Youtube for clicks.
They are possibly the stupidest and most pointlessly annoying people on the planet.

That would certainly be goog news if it’s verified. Like I imagine everyone else, I‘ve been researching the price and range of the various modules for my Mavic 2 Zoom. The cheapest with its own power source is around $150. With the D.J.I. promise of RID enabling firmware by the end of the year that seems steep for 3 1/2 months of use.

As noted by several others, the enforcement of this rule is almost impossible. Apparently, the range of most of the self powered modules is less than a mile. Additionally, anyone monitoring signals from a drone would have to have the proper app to receive the “license plate,” if I understand correctly.

I have less than six neighbors within a mile of my primary launch site. I doubt they have any app for monitoring drone activity and trust they’d all call me if they had a problem with my flying, which is rarely from anywhere but my own property.

It makes sense for the F.A.A. to give the drone industry and flying community more time to prepare for this requirement.

According to our last Drone Pro webinar less than 2 weeks ago, the deadline will not be altered. It's still slated to begin 9/16/23. I haven't seen any official announcement from the FAA to the contrary either.

RID is NOT cancelled.

Expect an announcement next week at Commercial UAV Expo.

Jeffrey Vincent is on two panels, and one over he’ll make an announcement at one of those unless the communication department does so first.

With all due respect, he isn't as "respected" as you may think. Several of us who have been around a long time don't share that sentiment in the least. That's all I'll say about KH.
I was kind of thinking I might be off base, but I have stopped watching his videos. He tends to operate in ways that skirt regulations, let's say. Again, I will leave it there.

I was kind of thinking I might be off base, but I have stopped watching his videos. He tends to operate in ways that skirt regulations, let's say. Again, I will leave it there.

Very well and accurately stated. I don't watch his videos and I don't even (usually) say his name as to not give him any more exposure. He thrives off of confrontation and being obnoxious and rude. Unfortunately that's typical for "Drama Creators" and so many people love watching his ignorant antics.

There are many people who build their own drones, like the majority of the FPV racing pilots and cinewhoop photographers, they will require broadcast modules. Grandfathering in older drones leaves a big loophole for people who have nefarious intentions, IMO.
lol - nefarious intent?
Since when do we worry about nebulous maybes?
Take using drones to mule drugs into penal institutions.
It's already against the law and the criminals will have ready access to anyone who figures how to bypass RID or simply build their own from scratch.
Laws do not deter criminals in the least.

Reactions: djwak59
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
geser