DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

KEY TIPS For Big City Drone Flying | DJI Mavic 2 (ZOOM & PRO)

dont do it, my key tip

The shots are super great but yah I got "talked to" and "reported" by the park security and Atlanta police today. No fines or anything they just told me not to fly. Its class G unrestricted, but I had a feeling it would go that way and I'm okay with it, just glad everything went okay.

Reactions: Van Shteffy
you were lucky would hate to see you fined or have your mav confiscated

you were lucky would hate to see you fined or have your mav confiscated

I was a little worried, but I do know they often do place no fly restrictions downtown, which are clearly indicated on the DJI app and it was clear today. The security guard is the one who reported me and called a real cop over, the security guard told me I could fly, just not stand in the park. The officer said no flying at all, so who knows its a tough situation and I don't think many people understand the laws fully.

Reactions: Van Shteffy
lol honestly couldn't make it more than 15 seconds through the video.
So I'm not sure how reckless your flying is or what tips you're even giving out.

But reading these posts I don't see a problem.
You say it's unrestricted airspace and not a NFZ. You would have to check local laws to see if they mention UAS.
If you abide by all the other laws and fly LOS, not over people or cars, are registered, etc. then you will have a limited flight in urban environments, but you're certainly not doing anything wrong.

If someone asks you not to fly in a certain area, apologize for the inconvenience and you both move on.
Don't think it is right to be afraid of cops taking your Mavic as long as you cooperate, use your head, and do what the FAA says...

So I'm not sure how reckless your flying is or what tips you're even giving out.

You say it's unrestricted airspace and not a NFZ. You would have to check local laws to see if they mention UAS.
If you abide by all the other laws and fly LOS, not over people or cars, are registered, etc. then you will have a limited flight in urban environments, but you're certainly not doing anything wrong.

If someone asks you not to fly in a certain area, apologize for the inconvenience and you both move on.
Don't think it is right to be afraid of cops taking your Mavic as long as you cooperate, use your head, and do what the FAA says...
at no point did i say anything about his flying style it was because he was flying over people, traffic,and also in a restrictive enviroment because of the possible loss of signal due to the high structures around and possible compass interference that i said dont do it

You can use the links at the bottom to jump to the drone clips but nothing crazy. I agree, they just took so much info I started to think they were going to mail me a ticket or try to take action but everyone was good.

at no point did i say anything about his flying style it was because he was flying over people, traffic,and also in a restrictive enviroment because of the possible loss of signal due to the high structures around and possible compass interference that i said dont do it

Oh, then I agree. Over people and traffic is a no-go and is grounds for getting yourself in trouble.
Like I mentioned I didn't have the attention span to watch the video.

But aside from that, I was just commenting on the fact that it is possible to fly safely and legally in a large city. Just have to stay out of the way mostly and of course do the research on the local policies first.

Well then, you missed the scooter count. Pretty funny guy.

Reactions: Fleek
Need a bit of advice. I own an adventure company in Arizona. These last couple years I've aged out of the climbing and rock climbing. Have a DJI Mavic Air and a Part 107and now offering drone pics and video to climbing guests and groups. I want to upgrade to a DJI Mavic Pro 2 or a DJI Zoom for 2 reasons. One the Mavic Air sounds like a lawn mower. Looking for a less noisy drone but would like to get pics of guest up close. Im thinking the zoom. Thoughts?

Need a bit of advice. I own an adventure company in Arizona. These last couple years I've aged out of the climbing and rock climbing. Have a DJI Mavic Air and a Part 107and now offering drone pics and video to climbing guests and groups. I want to upgrade to a DJI Mavic Pro 2 or a DJI Zoom for 2 reasons. One the Mavic Air sounds like a lawn mower. Looking for a less noisy drone but would like to get pics of guest up close. Im thinking the zoom. Thoughts?

Yes. The zoom footage looks amazing when fully zoomed in, better then pro in my opinion and it will also help you keep your distance and not be a distraction. Also, the zoomed in footage looks better when you crop into it Vs. pro.

Reactions: ff22
Definitely get the Mavic 2 Zoom for your purposes. I, too, returned the Mavic Air primarily because of the noise! That and the lousy flight time, flippy gimbal, and FPV disconnects. M2Z will run circles around the Air, and at 4x in 1080p, no one will know you are even there, because you will be filming from 4x farther away than the Air, with an aircraft that barely makes a whisper in a hover, instead of sounding like a swarm of angry bees!

Reactions: ff22 and Astro1

My tip: start your own thread on this if you want wide responses. There are probably a lot of people that never saw your question because they bailed on the thread after a few posts, or never even opened it due to lack of interest in big city flying tips (which your needs aren't even related to).

Chris

to get pics of guest up close.

You state the problem in your own words. “Up close” (other than zoom) is absolutely a no-no.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BHU