DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Killing motors inadvertently in flight

OurAngryBadger

Reactions
What are the chances this could happen accidentally? Now if I'm remembering my current stick setup accurately while I lay in bed with probable caronavirus; this means I would have to be flying backwards at a 45 degree angle at full speed while simultaneously descending and rotating the drone at full speed. But I guess in a certain video situation trying to get artistic flight effects, it could happen if one wasn't mindful of the stick positions?

Screenshot_20200314-020127_Office.jpg

And, the wording is a bit vague. Can you only stop the motors mid-flight if you used the CSC to start them? In other words, if you use auto takeoff, then there is no risk of stopping motors in flight?

If you was trying to get artistic affects I don’t think you would be going full speed so that happening would be highly unlikely.

Well I guess that’s possible but can’t recall it ever being posted about happening.

I don't know where to start looking, but I do recall a post around a year ago, where the conclusion was that it was highly likely that an inadvertent CSC had caused a 'fall-out-of-the-sky'.
The motor stop CSC is not reliant on the way you start the Mavic and take-off ... Otherwise, it would be a pretty useless 'emergency feature'.

Reactions: old man mavic
I agree with the others that it's possible but I've never read of another case.

Hopefully you are well again soon and can get back to flying.

Reactions: old man mavic
Yes, free fall has been achieved too!!

The motor stop CSC is not reliant on the way you start the Mavic and take-off

Also, you would have to change a default setting in the app.

I agree with both statements above.

On M2, there are two settings regarding CSC, under the controller section on Go4.
The default will only allow an emergency CSC, in flight, motor stop if the aircraft is at an extreme angle or the like (its explained next to the setting but I forget the wording). ex: if the drone has flipped, or is hanging in a tree branch.

The other setting is the one thatll get you in trouble, possibly, which allows a CSC motor stop at any time.
(Check out the videos under the google search "stopping mavic 2 motors mid air" I like the one by Chris Rollins where he stops then restarts midair, on purpose, and regains control, however, I'm sure he was every bit of 400ft in altitude.)

Im not sure how far back DJI started implementing firmware changes that added the CSC non-emergency setting.

Reactions: FoxhallGH
Yes, free fall has been achieved too!!

Interesting video also interesting that it didn’t spin on its way down.

Jzilla has it correct.
I don't recommend using CSC to stop motors after landing, particularly on a Phantom (3) as it might flop over using the stick commands literally until interpreted as CSC.

Interesting video also interesting that it didn’t spin on its way down.

It won't spin fast with the motors off, but it will rotate and tumble slowly.

Reactions: GadgetGuy
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FollyRJ