DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Kind of shocked

Status
Not open for further replies.
In Australua we recently had the national union leader say it was OK to break bad laws. I think she should be in jail for inciting the breaking of the law and the same goes here.

Sure use legal means to have the law changed but to say its OK to break any law leads to anarchy
Depends
I think there are some laws that are minor and some that are major. Speeding 60 in a 55 is pretty minor. Most of the time not even enforced by the police. Speeding 45 in a school zone should be enforced. Just my .02 some laws are pretty minor (flying over a park) some (flying in the area of aircraft) are pretty serious. One should result in a hefty fine and possibly jail the other meh!!! At most Fine them and move on.

National Parks have some of the most interesting natural structures and they are beautiful in their own right, done footage shared is a unique perspective of these treasures. Sharing them on YouTube ands other venues gives everyday world citizens a chance to experience places and sights they may never see.

Plus... why would I want to go to... say, the Grand Canyon and pay some Yahoo to fly me around in their helicopter for $100s of dollars, when I can fly my own and get better views.
Mainly because the helicopter is legal and drones aren't...$100 ride or $500 fine which is the best choice?

Me thinks you nailed it...however the rules are what they are...maybe some lobbying from the drone community would get things moving to ease up the NP restrictions..just a thought

If I see a drone flying in a National Park, I'll do what I can to help the Park Service bring charges. We can help them prosecute with cell phone videos, noting vehicle descriptions and license plates and descriptions of the "pilot" if observed.

Going out of your way to get people in trouble for a breaking such a ridiculous law is detrimental to the community IMO. Why don't you go snap some photos of the teenagers in the park smoking pot and send that to the police too?

By all means, report people who are endangering others, but to report anyone you see purely on the premise of flying in a national park is pretty low. I am not in favor of this behavior at all.

If I see a drone flying in a National Park, I'll do what I can to help the Park Service bring charges. We can help them prosecute with cell phone videos, noting vehicle descriptions and license plates and descriptions of the "pilot" if observed.
If some sanctimonious chest thumping bafoon ever did this to me, they would be seeing me in their rear view mirror with my dash cam recording them collecting “evidence”. Evidence of every mph over the speed limit, every time they crossed over the yellow line, every time they failed to come to a complete stop. And you better believe I would be knocking on every relevant police department door demanding prosecution!!
After all, it’s my duty if I see something, to say something

Last edited:
Reactions: DPL and W2EJ
The National Park Service is the only government agency other than the FAA that can confiscate and prosecute someone for flying illegaly. For me that's not a risk I want to take.

This is not accurate. Local police can, have, and will arrest you, confiscate your drone and prosecute you if your flying violates local laws. Usually the charge is "reckless endangerment".
They will then work with the FAA to tack on federal charges.

Flying over stadium arrest:
Drone pilot arrested after multiple NFL stadium incidents
(Note that he was arrested and prosecuted by local PD, but the FAA is doing their own investigation as well)

Flying over wildfire arrest:
"The sheriff’s office said based on witness information, drone descriptions and photos from Carpenter’s website showing drone views of the Goodwin Fire, deputies began searching for him.

Carpenter was arrested Friday afternoon after an off-duty deputy spotted his van on Willow Creek Road in Prescott. The drone was found in the van and seized.

Detectives are meeting with federal officials Monday to discuss additional charges based on the federal statutes regarding temporary flight restrictions."

Drone operator arrested for interfering with firefighting aircraft - Wildfire Today

Reactions: Classic flyer
This thread has been closed (and for good reason). The discussion was doing fine until it went off topic. Things like talking about race in a negative way are not tolerated on the forum as per the rules. I suggest a few of you re-read them.

As far as the topic at hand, @Flymortalkless made a post with the correct information.

IMG_0308.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NIKLM