DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Kind of shocked

Status
Not open for further replies.
It shouldn't be forbidden to fly drones on a national park, you aren't going to hurt anybody nor intercept a plane, just get fun and great videos.

It shouldn't be forbidden to fly drones on a national park, you aren't going to hurt anybody nor intercept a plane, just get fun and great videos.
Shoulda coulda woulda...that's just the way it is(currently) and we need to follow the rules until it changes... just saying...I do agree with you

Reactions: ParagonDrone
Shoulda coulda woulda...that's just the way it is(currently) and we need to follow the rules until it changes... just saying...I do agree with you

That’s the thing though, just because it’s a rule does not mean it needs to be followed. There are hundreds of bad rules out there put into place for misguided reasons.

Take marijuana as an example: it’s still illegal in the majority of states in America, including my own (Illinois). Should it be illegal? Of course not, but policy makers are often very slow to act due to the glacial pace of legislative reform and (often) their own misguided prejudices. So, because an outdated, misguided law exists in my state does that mean I can’t smoke marijuana? Nope, it just means I need to exercise more caution while doing so. Same thing with flying a drone in national parks: stay cautious, don’t be an idiot, and get all the amazing footage you like!

The National Park Service is the only government agency other than the FAA that can confiscate and prosecute someone for flying illegaly. For me that's not a risk I want to take.

Reactions: Classic flyer
so,if its a law i think is foolish and not agreeable with me,im in my rights to ignore it for my better interests,,,,cool,always wondered about seeing the pentagon.

That’s the thing though, just because it’s a rule does not mean it needs to be followed. There are hundreds of bad rules out there put into place for misguided reasons.

Take marijuana as an example: it’s still illegal in the majority of states in America, including my own (Illinois). Should it be illegal? Of course not, but policy makers are often very slow to act due to the glacial pace of legislative reform and (often) their own misguided prejudices. So, because an outdated, misguided law exists in my state does that mean I can’t smoke marijuana? Nope, it just means I need to exercise more caution while doing so. Same thing with flying a drone in national parks: stay cautious, don’t be an idiot, and get all the amazing footage you like!
So what I'm hearing is that rules are for everybody but you...well it's people like you that get all the rest of us more and more rules and regulations levied to our Hobby...thanx a lot zippy!!!

So what I'm hearing is that rules are for everybody but you...well it's people like you that get all the rest of us more and more rules and regulations levied to our Hobby...thanx a lot zippy!!!

No, you misunderstand (also, I wouldn't recommend name calling, it weakens your overall point).

Firstly, in no way, shape or form am I saying that the rules don't apply to me or that I somehow shouldn't get in trouble if I'm caught breaking them. Obviously I'm subject to the same rules and penalties as everyone else.

My point is that not all rules/laws are created equal and it's up to the individual to determine how they want to react to the more questionable ones. Take the thread about flying LOS: technically it's illegal to fly outside of your line of sight, but I'm willing to bet that quite a few drone owners do it on occasion. Does this mean those drone owners are stupid, reckless and above the law? Of course not, provided they're being safe, measured and cautious about going out of line of sight, I'd argue that those drone flyers are doing nothing wrong, despite rigid interpretation of the law saying otherwise.

I feel the same ideas apply in all areas of flying your drone. The poster above you sarcastically mentioned going and flying a drone by the pentagon. Is that an ok way to interpret the law? Obviously not, that falls into the stupid and reckless category, much like flying your drone right up into the face of Mount Rushmore would be stupid and reckless. However, take someplace like Death Valley: it's a massive, fairly barren space with people generally scattered sparsely throughout. Do I think that safely taking a drone up 300 feet to get some desert panoramas in a sparsely populated area of that national park would be a problem? Personally, no, I don't. Yes, a strict interpretation of the law says otherwise and if caught you could be subject to penalties, but in that case I would feel the risk is worth the reward.

No, you misunderstand (also, I wouldn't recommend name calling, it weakens your overall point).

Firstly, in no way, shape or form am I saying that the rules don't apply to me or that I somehow shouldn't get in trouble if I'm caught breaking them. Obviously I'm subject to the same rules and penalties as everyone else.

My point is that not all rules/laws are created equal and it's up to the individual to determine how they want to react to the more questionable ones. Take the thread about flying LOS: technically it's illegal to fly outside of your line of sight, but I'm willing to bet that quite a few drone owners do it on occasion. Does this mean those drone owners are stupid, reckless and above the law? Of course not, provided they're being safe, measured and cautious about going out of line of sight, I'd argue that those drone flyers are doing nothing wrong, despite rigid interpretation of the law saying otherwise.

I feel the same ideas apply in all areas of flying your drone. The poster above you sarcastically mentioned going and flying a drone by the pentagon. Is that an ok way to interpret the law? Obviously not, that falls into the stupid and reckless category, much like flying your drone right up into the face of Mount Rushmore would be stupid and reckless. However, take someplace like Death Valley: it's a massive, fairly barren space with people generally scattered sparsely throughout. Do I think that safely taking a drone up 300 feet to get some desert panoramas in a sparsely populated area of that national park would be a problem? Personally, no, I don't. Yes, a strict interpretation of the law says otherwise and if caught you could be subject to penalties, but in that case I would feel the risk is worth the reward.
Yes those that are flying out of line of sight are reckless because they are ignoring the guidelines regardless how well they fly... these are the kind of things that the anti-drone community live for...look at the situation in SLC where a drone flying in the DOWNTOWN area fell from the sky and struck a woman...people thinking they don't need to observe the rules because they don't like them and want a "COOL" video...this type of thing hurts everyone...if you don't want more restrictions put on our Hobby start flying responsibly, SAFELY, and with respect for others...as for refuring to you as zippy is only because that's the way you came across, didn't weaken my point in the least!!!

Reactions: Cimriver

Yes those that are flying out of line of sight are reckless because they are ignoring the guidelines regardless how well they fly... these are the kind of things that the anti-drone community live for...look at the situation in SLC where a drone flying in the DOWNTOWN area fell from the sky and struck a woman...people thinking they don't need to observe the rules because they don't like them and want a "COOL" video...this type of thing hurts everyone...if you don't want more restrictions put on our Hobby start flying responsibly, SAFELY, and with respect for others...as for refuring to you as zippy is only because that's the way you came across, didn't weaken my point in the least!!!

You screaming, "didn't weaken my point in the least!!!" might be more of a personal opinion... but hey, that's not really important anyway.

I think it's clear that you and I aren't going to see eye to eye on this issue, and that's fine. Different people have different tolerances for what they are and aren't willing to do, and arguments on an internet forum are unlikely to change that.

You screaming, "didn't weaken my point in the least!!!" might be more of a personal opinion... but hey, that's not really important anyway.

I think it's clear that you and I aren't going to see eye to eye on this issue, and that's fine. Different people have different tolerances for what they are and aren't willing to do, and arguments on an internet forum are unlikely to change that.
It is what it is bro

There are similar rules in Tasmania and I understand why the average Joe should be discouraged from flying in them but in my opinion a blanket ban is just lazy law making. While I don't condone breaking the law, it crossed my mind that by hand launching and catching - the drone is taking off and landing into airspace from your person - not the hallowed ground of a National Park. It guess it would depend how the rules are worded and how far you would be $$ prepared to challenge them if it went to court.

There are similar rules in Tasmania and I understand why the average Joe should be discouraged from flying in them but in my opinion a blanket ban is just lazy law making. While I don't condone breaking the law, it crossed my mind that by hand launching and catching - the drone is taking off and landing into airspace from your person - not the hallowed ground of a National Park. It guess it would depend how the rules are worded and how far you would be $$ prepared to challenge them if it went to court.
And that's why lawyers are rich

It's drone drivers policeing there own hobby...if more people did it we wouldn't need all the "drone laws"

Agreed. Self policing is currently failing dismally in the drone area hence more and more restrictive laws that affect everyone.

If I see a drone flying in a National Park, I'll do what I can to help the Park Service bring charges. We can help them prosecute with cell phone videos, noting vehicle descriptions and license plates and descriptions of the "pilot" if observed.
So let me get this straight. You will use your phone to capture evidence of someone flying outside of the rules?

Funny - they dropped the charges on breaking park rules. The judge ruled that the Tazer use was justified because he ran and failed to stop.

Last edited:
Reactions: DPL
In Australua we recently had the national union leader say it was OK to break bad laws. I think she should be in jail for inciting the breaking of the law and the same goes here.

Sure use legal means to have the law changed but to say its OK to break any law leads to anarchy

In Australua we recently had the national union leader say it was OK to break bad laws. I think she should be in jail for inciting the breaking of the law and the same goes here.

Sure use legal means to have the law changed but to say its OK to break any law leads to anarchy
Yes sir, that's how it all starts!!!

By the amount of flying done in National Parks and then posted on YT. My wife and are going out to Vegas in October and I want to take a day trip to Death Valley. For the heck of it I went to YT and did a search for "Drone flying in National Parks" or something like that. I was shocked at the amount of videos posted from flying in National Parks in the last year, last couple months. Looks like a lot of people just don't care

National Parks have some of the most interesting natural structures and they are beautiful in their own right, done footage shared is a unique perspective of these treasures. Sharing them on YouTube ands other venues gives everyday world citizens a chance to experience places and sights they may never see.

Plus... why would I want to go to... say, the Grand Canyon and pay some Yahoo to fly me around in their helicopter for $100s of dollars, when I can fly my own and get better views.

Reactions: DPL
Status
Not open for further replies.

DJI Drone Deals

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thefons82