DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Kittyhawk and LAANC

downtown0309

Reactions
I'm new to all this. I downloaded the Kittyhawk app to use if I have to get approval from LAANC. So I'm navigating around the app to get a feel for it and it doesn't work like the others I see on Youtube. First off, when I click on the plus sign "add" at the bottom, it doesn't give me the option for LAANC Auth. and second, there are no grids "colored squares" on my maps. Any tips ?

I'm new to all this. I downloaded the Kittyhawk app to use if I have to get approval from LAANC. So I'm navigating around the app to get a feel for it and it doesn't work like the others I see on Youtube. First off, when I click on the plus sign "add" at the bottom, it doesn't give me the option for LAANC Auth. and second, there are no grids "colored squares" on my maps. Any tips ?
Hi Downtown.
If I may suggest. Download the AirMap app. I find it easier to use than the Kittyhawk app. It has LAANC access as well. See what you think.

Click on the green button 'Maps' near the center bottom of the screen. That will get you the grid map. Click where you want to fly and you will get a placemark there. Then click the blue oval button with the airspace identifier in it. That will cause a screen to come up showing the various types of controlled airspace at your placemark. On that screen is a 'Get Authorization' button. Click that to get LAANC authorization.
Kittyhawk is probably not as intuitive as AirMap the first time, but it works very well and is very reliable. Airmap has failed me several times in the past.

Reactions: Bobvt and japharl
Thanks guys. For some reason the airport near me has no grids. I moved down toward Nashville's airport and there are the grids. Maybe my airport doesn't use LAANC. It's near a military base.

Thanks guys. For some reason the airport near me has no grids. I moved down toward Nashville's airport and there are the grids. Maybe my airport doesn't use LAANC. It's near a military base.
From what I can see using AirMap you are in the Class D airspace of Fort Campbell and there is no LAANC clearance there. You would have to apply for clearance through the FAA DroneZone website.

Reactions: Gindra
Hi Downtown.
If I may suggest. Download the AirMap app. I find it easier to use than the Kittyhawk app. It has LAANC access as well. See what you think.
As a side note, Airmap is a member of the Commercial Drone Alliance... the same group of manufacturers responsible for the current FAA NPRM to severely limit drone usage in the public/private sector. I have deleted it form my devices. Does anyone know if Kittyhawk advocates the NPRM?

As a side note, Airmap is a member of the Commercial Drone Alliance... the same group of manufacturers responsible for the current FAA NPRM to severely limit drone usage in the public/private sector. I have deleted it form my devices. Does anyone know if Kittyhawk advocates the NPRM?
Would NEVER use Airmap.
Kittyhawk works better IMHO.

Reactions: WAXMAN
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gfusato