Get more from your Mavic
The largest Mavic community in the world
Join Us Now

Kroger begins drone delivery on a rainy Wednesday.

MAvic_South_Oz

Reactions
Adelaide, South Australia, the great southern land
All these delivery drones will need to be of a size / power that can handle more than 5lbs.
Otherwise, it's a gimmick . . . and who pays ?
Customer who doesn't have to leave the home ?
Business, who may or may not get have got the the sales anyway in traditional form ?

Not even getting into what happens when the drunks start messing with a drone within reach, or a lowering cable.

Reactions: Hobo

cgmaxed

Reactions
All these delivery drones will need to be of a size / power that can handle more than 5lbs.
Otherwise, it's a gimmick . . . and who pays ?
Customer who doesn't have to leave the home ?
Business, who may or may not get have got the the sales anyway in traditional form ?

Not even getting into what happens when the drunks start messing with a drone within reach, or a lowering cable.
My concerns exactly. How will they prevent idiots from messing with their drone deliveries. Lets hope our society is mature enough to handle this new form of delivery. It would be nice to get pizza delivered that way though.

cgmaxed

Reactions

MA2 317

Spark 2017- 2021 MA2 2020 - ??
Premium Pilot
Reactions
If it's only good for a mile radius from the store and five pounds (2.3 kg), I bet a rider on a E-bike with saddle bags could delivery more quicker. 🤔

Reactions: frank candor

MAvic_South_Oz

Reactions
Not only drunks of course, waiting for their pizza / fast food, but kids who are so inquisitive, dogs and other such.

I often wondered too, drone range = depots have to be quite thick on the ground to allow more frequent deliveries to to limited load capacity.
Might be lucky if they can get a single delivery on board at a time, a larger drone, maybe 2 ?
Depots for a long while will need people to load items, programme the automated flights, certainly to keep stock into depots . . . ironically by delivery trucks loaded with the goods required, passing by places these deliveries would be going to !!

Small truck / vans are going to be far, FAR more efficient that drones, for a long long time.

Reactions: cgmaxed

cgmaxed

Reactions
If it's only good for a mile radius from the store and five pounds (2.3 kg), I bet a rider on a E-bike with saddle bags could delivery more quicker. 🤔
I read, the delivery system is set up, that the driver attaches the package to the drone in the truck and there's a roof openning. The driver gets near the delivery address and sends the drone out through the roof, it returns and lands inside the truck. The system I read about was in a rural area with poor roads and difficult access to homes. It's a testing region of course. But they say the system is working flawlessly, in that area at least. The drones are linked to the operator via CELLULAR network.

cgmaxed

Reactions
Not only drunks of course, waiting for their pizza / fast food, but kids who are so inquisitive, dogs and other such.

I often wondered too, drone range = depots have to be quite thick on the ground to allow more frequent deliveries to to limited load capacity.
Might be lucky if they can get a single delivery on board at a time, a larger drone, maybe 2 ?
Depots for a long while will need people to load items, programme the automated flights, certainly to keep stock into depots . . . ironically by delivery trucks loaded with the goods required, passing by places these deliveries would be going to !!

Small truck / vans are going to be far, FAR more efficient that drones, for a long long time.
see my post #10. The trucks are close to the delivery point.

MAvic_South_Oz

Reactions
I read, the delivery system is set up, that the driver attaches the package to the drone in the truck and there's a roof openning. The driver gets near the delivery address and sends the drone out through the roof, it returns and lands inside the truck. The system I read about was in a rural area with poor roads and difficult access to homes. It's a testing region of course. But they say the system is working flawlessly, in that area at least. The drones are linked to the operator via CELLULAR network.

That could work, places out of the way, difficult access, places remote where a drone doing a single delivery would save time.
The nests in a factory / warehouse situation works, they use these for stock control mostly.

Sounds like a drivers responsibilities are going to be upped quite a bit.

Meta4

Solutions
Reactions
Drone Delivery has always been an effective way to attract attention and gain publicity.
Not so effective at actual prcatical delivery.

DJI Drone Service
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 2 Case

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
idinc